PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

DeSean Jackson Released by Eagles [update]: Signed by Washington

From Albert Breer:

The Raiders are still doing background work on DeSean Jackson. My sense is they realize there's some added risk in bringing him home.

https://twitter.com/AlbertBreer/status/450268336241520640

Colleague @RapSheet mentioned the Chiefs being out on Jackson ... Number of serious suitors could be relatively small.

https://twitter.com/AlbertBreer/status/450269156051812353

Whether it is real or overhyped, Jackson's off the field activities are a real concern for teams. It may not stop someone from signing him, but it even has the teams that really like him doing extra homework on the guy.

People brushing off his associations as no big deal or racism or overhyped or whatever really don't have the pulse of what management offices around the league are thinking.

Again, that stuff is only one of the red flags on the guy. It may or may not be a real red flag, but it certainly isn't his only red flag. Take those allegations away, you still have a selfish, locker room problem with a bad attitude and questionable work ethic who puts his own needs ahead of his teammates on and off the field.

Or maybe Reid realizes that the minimal cap space available to him is not enough. So why not make it look like the guy who drafted him into the league is dropping out of the running in hopes it sends "red flags" to other teams interested to the point of driving down price.

Perhaps because KC's turnabout is oh so similar to the Eagles dropping this guy at the peak of his talents?

Reid vouched for the guy at the team meeting. Reid is the type of guy who vouches for everyone though. Reid also suspended Jackson when Reid was the head coach of the Eagles.

By your claims, everyone loves Jackson yet he is without a job. He is a lazy malcontent. I am not as concerned about the gang stuff as the other stuff that makes him an Anti-Patriot. If he came to the Patriots, it would only be a matter of time before he was doing an Adalius Thomas type of locker room interview for complaining about being suspended for missing team meetings.

:ditto:

I never said that he was a gang banger. I have always said that even without those allegations, the guy has a ton of red flags. The guy is a locker room problem just like Adalius Thomas and Shawn Springs were (and they weren't gang bangers). He is not a Patriots type of player and I think he is a bad scheme fit.

Unfortunately for you, the Pats agree with our beliefs more than yours. Whether we are missing the boat or not, we are realistic about Jackson's chances of becoming a Patriot.

Jackson is most likely going to be a Redskin. Players usually go to the team they are most likely to sign for with their first visit and Daniel Snyder has never met a shiny new toy he wasn't interested in throwing money at.

Indeed. Snyder is the anti-Kraft.

He may, or may not be a part of the future...
You really have the authority to say the Pats are "out" of the running?

Authority? You do know this is an internet forum? It's just opinion, one you seem to have a hard time dealing with...

First off, Jackson is a dynamic player, capable of making some big plays.

It will be interesting to see what teams try and sign Jackson. I would say off hand that his "gang ties" (you can't have that many pictures with you putting up gang signs and either #1 be in that gang (Crypts) or #2 have that gang take exception if you are not).

Add to the fact that he has been in what I like to call the "Ray Lewis vicinity" to too many murders. I think that he is officially off the Pats radar. I'm sure somebody will sign him.

BUT, it would be interesting point of collusion, if the NFL owners decided to make a statement and have none of them try and sign him.

Oh, you said "officially" so you must have "authority"! :)

Bottm line that is so hard for some to take in is that DJax isn't going to hired by the Krafts.

according to jest fans they get jackson and get a good WR in the draft..they have the best or top 3 WR corps in the NFL.

That's great! They QB is really up for the challenge!

After jacksons buddies said stay away from the west coast...you know something is wrong

I sincerely doubt the Raiders or Jackson care. IMO, this whole gang thing is being incredibly overblown.

If so, why would the Eagles just cut him now? Why not hold onto him and keep looking for a late round pick to get something in return for taking a $6 million cap hit in 2014?

The automatic weapons found in his house after the robbery, the two murders in CA with documents and vehicles linked to Jackson, plus the gang stuff, adds up to either a shoe about to drop, or concerns that he's got some problems in Philadelphia or CA that will result in violence.

The Hernandez situation was loaded with red flags in Hartford, and all the guns in S.Attelboro that just hadn't been reported. This situation, including the five-year contract, seem ominously similar.

Whose "objectivity" are you referring to -- yours, or mine? One thing I will NOT tolerate here is being called "racist" or "prejudiced." At no point during the discussion throughout this thread have I made reference to a person's race. Not once. You need to be very, very careful of making naive inferences.

You may very well be trolling but It doesn't take much of a brain to realize what the "hippity-hoppity" and "wannabe thug" comments are referring to. You need to be very, very, careful of making charged comments like that if you don't want to be labeled as a bigot.
"pretty prejudice".. have seen a lot of prejudice in my life and have never seen anything pretty about it..

Without regard there are enough red flags in this case to acknowledge that this kid has some serious issues, and the shrinking pool of NFL suitors indicates such. They share their information on various players, as well as the NFL in general has their eyes on the marginal kids...

If I were a general manager, based on what I know through the media, I would not sign him... after AH once bitten, twice shy.

Im starting to have more doubts about Jackson but they're more locker room related than off the field. Granted all of us at Pats fans are working with the bare minimum when it comes to information.
I clicked on the last page of this thread first and saw the charges of racism against you. "Hot damn," I said. "I gotta grab some popcorn and go back and read this thread! Sounds entertaining."

Now that I have read it, where is the racism? I am guessing the racism charges were for believing Jackson is of questionable character due to some people he associates with? Wow! You're a regular Riley Cooper, aren't you?:confused:

Jackson comes across as a selfish moron who is immensely talented. His wannabe thug act (and he is not alone in this) is eyes-rolling pathetic. DeSean Jackson is a turd--and my opinion would be the same if he were polka-dotted, plaid, white, or black.

Calling someone a racist without true justification is weak and lazy. It's cowardly. Save the label for the a-holes who truly deserve it.

We need true justification to call someone racist or prejudice but all we need is a few pics and an instagram feed to call someone a turd/thug/gangbanger :rolleyes:

Kaminsky flashing gang signs after the win last night, there goes any hope he had at an nba team drafting him.

zCg9qWi.jpg

You may very well be trolling but It doesn't take much of a brain to realize what the "hippity-hoppity" and "wannabe thug" comments are referring to. You need to be very, very, careful of making charged comments like that if you don't want to be labeled as a bigot.
"Hippity-hop" was posed as a joke (see post No. 415). The "wannabe thug" reference is self-evident and well supported by accounts of Jackson's associations and behavior.

Apparently, in your case, it requires more "of a brain" to discern individual actions and sociocultural pursuits from race. Your own contrived racial inferences and allegations of "bigotry" are the real problem here. You have much to learn.

"Hippity-hop" was posed as a joke (see post No. 415). The "wannabe thug" reference is self-evident and well supported by accounts of Jackson's associations and behavior.

Apparently, in your case, it requires more "of a brain" to discern individual actions and sociocultural pursuits from race. Your own contrived racial inferences and allegations of "bigotry" are the real problem here. You have much to learn.

ahh but it is you who has much to learn. Let me ask you what a thug is and how Jackson is a wannabe thug?

We need true justification to call someone racist or prejudice but all we need is a few pics and an instagram feed to call someone a turd/thug/gangbanger :rolleyes:

You really do not see the difference between calling someone a turd and calling someone a racist? If being a racist is such a serious thing (and it is), then why trivialize it on someone for thinking DeSean Jackson is a punk?

Yes, true justification should be a pre-requisite for calling someone a racist.

Labeling someone a racist and calling a public figure a turd on a message board are equivalent to you apparently. Brilliant.

If DeSean hangs out with and mimics admitted gangbangers/thugs who are quite proud to be gangbangers/thugs, then he is either a gangbanger/thug OR a wannabe gangbanger/thug.

That isn't racial, it is simple logic.

Kaminsky flashing gang signs after the win last night, there goes any hope he had at an nba team drafting him.

zCg9qWi.jpg

He plays for Wisconsin. W. Someone who has 0 ties to gangs...to someone who has ties to members and his buddies want him to stay away from the WC for some reason...

Great comparison between the two...truly great work

ahh but it is you who has much to learn. Let me ask you what a thug is and how Jackson is a wannabe thug?
Not to put too fine a point on this (aside from the one atop your head), I have neither the time nor inclination to hold your hand through an explanation of why grass is green and the sky is blue. In lieu of that, I'll refer you to the excellent summation in post No. 509.

You really do not see the difference between calling someone a turd and calling someone a racist? If being a racist is such a serious thing (and it is), then why trivialize it on someone for thinking DeSean Jackson is a punk?

I listed turd in with 2 other words stop trying to isolate to make a point

Yes, true justification should be a pre-requisite for calling someone a racist.

These are just allegations just like you're alleging Desean to be a Wannabe thug (still don't know what this is) and a gangbanger

Labeling someone a racist and calling a public figure a turd on a message board are equivalent to you apparently. Brilliant.

Again, trying to isolate. And when you're using turd to describe a person as "of lesser worth" or "of poor character" actually yes they are equivalent. Stop acting like Turd isn't a forum friendly form of "piece of shiet"

If DeSean hangs out with and mimics admitted gangbangers/thugs who are quite proud to be gangbangers/thugs, then he is either a gangbanger/thug OR a wannabe gangbanger/thug.

Or Desean grew up with these people and has a strong sense of belonging with the people and culture he grew up in. Like most of the athletes in here posing for pictures on instagram and such. He may have guys who are hanging around him who are gang affiliated and he most likely comes from the same place and grew up in the same manor as the people. Thug behavior is hitting licks and letting pistols bust. Not posing for pictures, apparently to you they are the same thing. If Desean is out here partcipating in gang activity and you have proof of this, by all means lable him a gangbanger. Plenty of athletes hang around unsavory charichters and it doesn't make them unsavory themselves. You don't understand "hood culture" by any means but continue on painting the picture that is Deseans life from behind a computer monitor.
That isn't racial, it is simple logic.

This is almost as funny as listening to Jaws try to tell us how Gangs operate when this story broke. Just a bunch of people who have no clue about inner city life today trying to tell us how things work.

This is almost as funny as listening to Jaws try to tell us how Gangs operate when this story broke. Just a bunch of people who have no clue about inner city life today trying to tell us how things work.

"Don't understand hood culture" sounds like a crutch, but I'll accept it. That, however, is not the same thing as racist. I would hope you can see that.

And you really have a hair across your arse about calling Jackson a turd? To be racially equal, I have also called Alex Rodriguez and Bill Romanowski turds. Have I filled the required quota? Jeezus, that's what we do on message boards. We have opinions on players. Jackson's behavior with the Eagles has been turd-like. Or piece of ****-like, as you seem to prefer. This has absolutely nothing to do with the alleged gang crap. He seems like he is a turd. All of your athlete opinions have been filled with nothing but butterflies and rainbows? Congrats. I guess I'm too negative.

And for the record, I would be all for Jackson getting a gang symbol tattooed on his face and STILL signing him.....IF he wasn't such a turd on the field. :)

so everyone who is racist put your hands up!

I'm thinking that 1 year ago the "hmmmm he's only sort of gangish, let's Patriotize him and try him out" thing would carry more weight.

Unfortunately for DJax, we've burned our "get out of murder free" card for the whole team for a few years, and I think the Pats will steer clear this year and maybe a few more when a player comes with this level of baggage or more.

so everyone who is racist put your hands up!

I lost my hands in an unfortunate square-dancing accident. Your comment was prejudicial, bigoted, or some other bad label.

From Albert Breer:

https://twitter.com/AlbertBreer/status/450268336241520640

https://twitter.com/AlbertBreer/status/450269156051812353

Whether it is real or overhyped, Jackson's off the field activities are a real concern for teams. It may not stop someone from signing him, but it even has the teams that really like him doing extra homework on the guy.

People brushing off his associations as no big deal or racism or overhyped or whatever really don't have the pulse of what management offices around the league are thinking.

Again, that stuff is only one of the red flags on the guy. It may or may not be a real red flag, but it certainly isn't his only red flag. Take those allegations away, you still have a selfish, locker room problem with a bad attitude and questionable work ethic who puts his own needs ahead of his teammates on and off the field.

Obviously you need to do your homework on him before signing him to any kind of a significant deal. That's true for anyone with any kind of red flags. But the LAPD has already come right out and said that he wasn't involved in the two murders that everyone is referring to, and that his gang connections are standard for guys who grow up in gang-infested neighborhoods. So which is it:

1) growing up in a gang neighborhood and knowing a guy who was acquitted on a murder charge are big enough red flags not to sign him. By that standard, you've just ruled out signing a ton of players, most of which are never any kind of a problem.

2) it's the other concerns--the home robbery, and stuff like that--that sets him apart. It's a sign that where there's some smoke, there may be fire. Do you apply the same standard to someone like Alfonzo Dennard?

3) recognize that all of this stuff is pretty common for professional athletes. What isn't common is alienating your coaches and teammates as thoroughly as Jackson has.

Based on what's been reported so far, I don't see how the 'gang connections' are a big deal. They're worth looking in to, but that's it unless you find more. I think that the third reason is a far more legitimate and sensible reason to rule out pursuing him.

Obviously you need to do your homework on him before signing him to any kind of a significant deal. That's true for anyone with any kind of red flags. But the LAPD has already come right out and said that he wasn't involved in the two murders that everyone is referring to, and that his gang connections are standard for guys who grow up in gang-infested neighborhoods. So which is it:

1) growing up in a gang neighborhood and knowing a guy who was acquitted on a murder charge are big enough red flags not to sign him. By that standard, you've just ruled out signing a ton of players, most of which are never any kind of a problem.

2) it's the other concerns--the home robbery, and stuff like that--that sets him apart. It's a sign that where there's some smoke, there may be fire. Do you apply the same standard to someone like Alfonzo Dennard?

3) recognize that all of this stuff is pretty common for professional athletes. What isn't common is alienating your coaches and teammates as thoroughly as Jackson has.

Based on what's been reported so far, I don't see how the 'gang connections' are a big deal. They're worth looking in to, but that's it unless you find more. I think that the third reason is a far more legitimate and sensible reason to rule out pursuing him.

I'm late to this discussion and don't really care to read the whole thing, but isn't the basis for being concerned about the gang connections the fact that the Eagles investigated it, and cut him?
Now they may have made a poor decision, but you can't just dismiss that they saw something that worried them a lot.

DeSean Jackson released by Eagles

I'm late to this discussion and don't really care to read the whole thing, but isn't the basis for being concerned about the gang connections the fact that the Eagles investigated it, and cut him?

Now they may have made a poor decision, but you can't just dismiss that they saw something that worried them a lot.

We know that the eagles cut him, but we don't know exactly why. Probably a combination of reasons, and the gang affiliations that they believe he has was surely part of it. But the report that came out right before he was released cited two murders that he may have been connected to in some way as the main concerns. The LAPD came right out and stated that he had no involvement, and was connected only in the same Kevin Bacon-esque way that everyone from that neighborhood is connected.

Makes sense. In one case he was 'connected' because the guy who was acquitted was his friend and an employee of his record label.

So if that's why they cut him, then that may not have been wise. My guess would be that it had more to due with him being a lazy malcontent who everyone in the locker room, coaches and players, evidently hated. We can go back and forth all day about the extent to which gang connections are 'normal' in the NFL, but being hated by everyone in your organization is far from normal and a big red flag no matter how you slice it.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back