PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Demaryius Thomas traded to the Jets

Status
Not open for further replies.
They did DT dirty lol but that's football.

They absolutely did not. They traded him to a team he clearly wanted to play for (the Patriots never trade with the Jets, so this must be a player request.) He got to keep his same contract and gets to join a team with his old offensive coordinator as the HC and much better opportunity for him to get reps and targets. It wasn't the Patriots intent to string DT along...they just got a whole bunch of great breaks on the WR position after he signed, and now they are loaded.

The Steelers did Antonio Brown dirty. They tried to trade him to Buffalo and then shipped him to Oakland. They didn't care one iota about what he wanted and didn't want to trade him to any decent organization or within the division.

This is actually a perfect contrast in player relations.

Let's be blunt.

Obi is not, is not, is not a backup STer. FORTY players played more ST's than Obi in 2018. He played less than 2 reps a game, for a season total of 25 snaps.

On the other hand ZERO players played more ST's than Ebner. He played 329 snaps on ST's.

No.

Because Gunner and Slater are our WRs who can safely say they are more ST's AND Obi is on the PS.

Also, you may want to look at that salary cap info link there - - he is a $2,787,500 current cap with only $600,000 if cut and he's a UFA at the end of the season.

How many reasons does one need?

$1-2mill? More like $2,187,500 - - no? And he's a UFA after the season. Gunner is now an extra ST'er and Obi is a steal for our PS.

Someone will have to replace him on the active roster in addition to the dead cap of 600k. The minimum salary is somewhere around 600k-1.2m. You do the math.

If someone from the PS gets elevated instead it will be less than 1.2m which is why I am saying 1-2M. Harry, Meredith or Cajuste are the only ones that are already counting against the cap where you'd not have any additional charge.

Gronk is a bad troll tbh.

Someone will have to replace him on the active roster in addition to the dead cap of 600k. The minimum salary is somewhere around 600k-1.2m. You do the math.

If someone from the PS gets elevated instead it will be less than 1.2m which is why I am saying 1-2M. Harry, Meredith or Cajuste are the only ones that are already counting against the cap where you'd not have any additional charge.

OK, gotcha.

I mean, with Brown here he wasn't going to see the field. So to get something for a guy who was never going to play is a good move.

Not trying to be negative. But this move irks me. Why not see what this guy can do in this offense. He obviously showed that he was healthy as far as his Achilles, looked really good. He’s also insurance as far as Gordon & Brown are concerned. If either act up, they are gone. Both could be gone by mid season if they don’t behave.

Could’ve also played more of a Gronk role, as far as his size. My complaint about this is, why now ? Couldn’t they have played him, see if he shined, and then, come trade deadline, get more for him. I really don’t like this move. On paper, great receiving corps, but in reality, some major question marks as far as reliability with Brown & Gordon off the field.
Thomas is a WR, not a tight end, no relevance to Gronk's vacated role. He has not proven fully recovered from the Achilles in terms of matching his pre-injury performance level. There's too much of a logjam at WR to keep everyone -- Brown, Dorsett, Gordon all > Thomas. Meyers and Harry are promising young talents. Thomas still has question marks and was a logical choice to go, at least the Pats got something for him.

Last edited:
Harry can't practice for six weeks or play until week eight at the earliest. That's a long time to get Gunner reps in the slot so IMO we're talking six WRs and Slater....one too many at some point before Harry comes back.

However it shakes out, the Pats WR group is DEATH.
Gunner is only going to get slot reps in those games where Meyers is inactive and Edelman gets hurt. Remember it's Meyers who is the back up slot guy right now.

Hope DT approved of this, kinda ****ty if not.

As the roster churns. DT was an asset with relatively limited upside with emerging Meyers and Harry needing PT behind the stars. Who fills his spot?

The logical immediate guess would be Bodine.

Holy effing hell people are overrating Thomas. Gilmore would absolutely eat him for lunch, but that won't even be necessary. I'll be surprised if DT is even targeted more than a few times per game. They could only get a sixth round pick in 2021 for him, yet you think he's going to make a big impact when the Jets come to Foxboro? I'll put his over/under for yards in that game at 29.5.
You are heartless BBjr, some of us liked DT and wanted to see him play as a Patriot.

Thanks, I feel better.

We had too many receivers - period

Wow. We seem to have gone insane. I sure hope this all works out BB. Get your popcorn ready!

Edit - I would be more upset about this if I hadn't seen what our WR corps looks like WITHOUT either DT or AB on Sunday. We already looked awesome without either of those guys, so I can see where somebody had to go. Put me in the camp, though, of being kind of bummed we won't get to see DT, an old rival, play with Brady.

In this case, I would expect to see Gordon and Dorsett outside, and Brown in the slot.

Gunner is only going to get slot reps in those games where Meyers is inactive and Edelman gets hurt. Remember it's Meyers who is the back up slot guy right now.

I don't think it is a coincidence he goes to the team coached by the guy who was the OC during Thomas' best years.
He may be fine with it with how many guys we have and signing a new contract as a free agent now might not pay nearly as well as the incentive laden one he has now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down