PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Demaryius Thomas traded to the Jets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Edelman, Gordon, Brown, Dorsett, Harry, Meyers, Gunner...and Slater

This screams another trade even before Harry comes back.

how? Meyers is for longterm. Harry comes back week 9 and will be eased into things. Don't see a trade there.

Thank God/Gaia/Satan/Flying Spaghetti Monster that Obi's back on the practice squad. I didn't know how I would sleep at night with him out there ready to be grabbed by some other team.

Not trying to be negative. But this move irks me. Why not see what this guy can do in this offense. He obviously showed that he was healthy as far as his Achilles, looked really good. He’s also insurance as far as Gordon & Brown are concerned. If either act up, they are gone. Both could be gone by mid season if they don’t behave.

Could’ve also played more of a Gronk role, as far as his size. My complaint about this is, why now ? Couldn’t they have played him, see if he shined, and then, come trade deadline, get more for him. I really don’t like this move. On paper, great receiving corps, but in reality, some major question marks as far as reliability with Brown & Gordon off the field.

He is not insurance for Brown or Gordon. It is not 2015 anymore. Gordon is a unique, rather spectacular athlete who is shockingly still in his prime despite so many setbacks. If he falls off the horse, it's a huge loss for the Patriots. Thomas is nowhere near the player that Gordon is, as Gordon enables the team to get lots of chunk plays and creates major spacing problems for defenses. Like Gronkowski, there is no real insurance policy for Gordon, since he is unique.

Brown is hopefully going to be a more explosive version of Edelman, who probably won't be as reliable but will constantly draw double teams due to his breakaway ability.

Thomas is essentially an insurance policy for Dorsett, as he would need other players to create mismatches and could hold his own against the defense's weaker defenders but would get eaten alive if he's gameplanned against (like Dorsett at the beginning of last season.) Patriots already have Meyers and Harry waiting to take snaps from Dorsett. Both appear to have great upside and could use the development. Thomas may be a little better than the two rookies, but having him as a WR5 doesn't make sense, as they will soon surpass him.

?????

Right now you have 5 WR and Gunner and Slater as ST players. This is perfectly fine depth. Why would you trade away anyone before Harry is back ?

And with Obi on the PS, that is a LOT of depth for STs. I'm not sure Ebner is safe at this point.

His cap hit is $2,787,500 and his dead cap hit is only $600,000.

Nate Ebner

To do what? Meyers would sit on the bench in case one of the top receivers is injured during a game.

With Gordon (or Brown), Edelman and Dorsett, we would NOT be RELYING on Meyers to be anything but an emergency backup, and that only if the blowup is before we can activate Harry or Meredith.

White or Burkhead could run in 4 receiver sets, if necessary.

I'd be like, you're an AB or JG blow up away from relying on Jakobi Meyers.

I'm guessing that sometime on Saturday, August 31, 2019, Gunner Olszewski found Jake Bequette's blackmail stash. :p
Gunner brings legitimate value to the table.

Why is Thomas being punished?
I don't think he is being punished, probably requested this, wants to reunite with Gase, his first WR coach and OC.

HOOORRRAAAAAY!!!!! However that hooray is subject to the Pats actually signing him to the PS.

Already a done deal, fortunately.

I think Thomas going to play in a system he knows with a coach he knows and has a shot to be in the top 3 makes this a trade everyone can appreciate.

Why the Jets let the Pats off the financial hook to get Thomas, when they apparently weren’t interested all offseason is the baffling part.

???
1) Ebner should worry because Obi is on the Practice Squad?
2) Please post/guess the number of reps each played on ST's last year.

And with Obi on the PS, that is a LOT of depth for STs. I'm not sure Ebner is safe at this point.

?????

Right now you have 5 WR and Gunner and Slater as ST players. This is perfectly fine depth. Why would you trade away anyone before Harry is back ?

Harry can't practice for six weeks or play until week eight at the earliest. That's a long time to get Gunner reps in the slot so IMO we're talking six WRs and Slater....one too many at some point before Harry comes back.

However it shakes out, the Pats WR group is DEATH.

Just heard this. I understand it, but I don't like it.
You don't like that he was traded OR you don't like that he was traded to the Jets?

Nate Ebner

I don't think BB would mess with core ST over saving somewhere between 1-2M. Remember you'd have to still put someone onto the active roster at the minimum (1.2m ?).

Unless you mean for Harry who is already accounted for ? But even then not sure this is worth it.

Nate Ebner

Ebner is sticking at this point unless Gronk wants to come back imo.

???
1) Ebner should worry because Obi is on the Practice Squad?
2) Please post/guess the number of reps each played on ST's last year.

No.

Because Gunner and Slater are our WRs who can safely say they are more ST's AND Obi is on the PS.

Also, you may want to look at that salary cap info link there - - he is a $2,787,500 current cap with only $600,000 if cut and he's a UFA at the end of the season.

How many reasons does one need?

As the roster churns. DT was an asset with relatively limited upside with emerging Meyers and Harry needing PT behind the stars. Who fills his spot?

I am genuinely saddened by this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes