PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Demaryius Thomas Re-Signed to 1-Year Deal with Harry on IR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I’m not really concerned about announcements.
I’m talking about who plays the majority of snaps and who is targeted.

Agree completely. Gordon, Edelman, Thomas and Dorsett are all solid veterans. Brady can throw with confidence to any of them against pretty much any defender. My guess is we see a lot of Gordon to get whatever is possible out of him as long as he can stay clean. The only guy on a pitch count is most likely Thomas given his recent injury and lengthy recovery. If Brady and Meyers find a groove, look out.

Your lineup or depth chart so to speak is not necessarily true for opening night. Please read the thread at your convenience.

Not sure what that means since the Pats line up in a lot of empty backfields, four wides, stacks and what not. They can use any combination of these guys to fit the situation. The one thing we know is that until Watson returns, we won't be seeing much in the way of TEs split outside or in the slot. The current Pats depth chart has Dorsett as the #2 but that means nothing.

The one guy I wish they had kept on the roster was Cordarelle Patterson. He was a great wild card that defenses had to account for a receiver or rusher no matter where he lined up. I'd rather he were in the mix than Olszewski.

Yes, I agree, but it would suck. I would love to see an all out aerial attack including the RBs.

I LOVE the run game. I'm guessing you never played football at any level.
I also love the passing game. I always love our offense.
But our best offenses are always when we've been close to 50/50 run/pass.
What a lot of fans overlook is that the more physical team almost always wins,unless they just have far inferior talent.
Patriots were arguably the most physical team in the NFL by the end of last season. People who've actually played,on any level,know this. When you control the click and are pounding the opposition with smashmouth style offense,it takes a toll on the D. You see it in the 4th quarter. 2014,2016 and 2018 Patriots were all among most physical NFL teams on both sides of the ball. Even our wrs were punishing people with their blocks. The ol, Gronk,Develin beating them up over and over.
It opens up the passing game and vice versa.

Not sure what that means since the Pats line up in a lot of empty backfields, four wides, stacks and what not. They can use any combination of these guys to fit the situation. The one thing we know is that until Watson returns, we won't be seeing much in the way of TEs split outside or in the slot. The current Pats depth chart has Dorsett as the #2 but that means nothing.

The one guy I wish they had kept on the roster was Cordarelle Patterson. He was a great wild card that defenses had to account for a receiver or rusher no matter where he lined up. I'd rather he were in the mix than Olszewski.

I'd rather Trey Flowers be in the mix than Deatrich Wise, but at their existing prices, not so much.

That is all true. Hopefully Tom will "throw to the open man". I am partially objecting to:
Maybe elsewhere in this thread, but #1 is Edelman, #2 Gordon #3 Thomas, #4 Dorsett, # 5 Meyers plus all the backs

That may be a popular talking point however Phillip Dorsett has not missed any time due to injury or to suspensions. I posted earlier in the thread that he will be the "starting #2" for a game or two while the other "house hold names" get into football shape. Some posters agreed and some did not.

The question I have for anyone that is still upset by my prediction is if the organized activities during the spring and training camp in the summer are "no big deal", why is anyone required to attend?

Keep em' guessing and confused on defense

What a lot of fans overlook is that the more physical team almost always wins,unless they just have far inferior talent.
Patriots were arguably the most physical team in the NFL by the end of last season. People who've actually played,on any level,know this. When you control the click and are pounding the opposition with smashmouth style offense,it takes a toll on the D. You see it in the 4th quarter. 2014,2016 and 2018 Patriots were all among most physical NFL teams on both sides of the ball. Even our wrs were punishing people with their blocks. The ol, Gronk,Develin beating them up over and over.

Fact.

04- ran more than pass but thats OK
07- 50/50 before Morris went down.
2010- close to 50/50
2012- 35ppg, Most running plays in a season during the BB era.

There were some other great offenses but these seemed to be the creme de la creme.

Not sure where we disagree since I already stated a 55/45 pass/run ratio was fine. I would simply like to see a more efficient pass game with the veteran tall receivers TB finally has, providing for more aerial yards (and obviously total yards).

We do agree on the importance of controlling the click.

That is all true. Hopefully Tom will "throw to the open man". I am partially objecting to:

That may be a popular talking point however Phillip Dorsett has not missed any time due to injury or to suspensions. I posted earlier in the thread that he will be the "starting #2" for a game or two while the other "house hold names" get into football shape. Some posters agreed and some did not.

The question I have for anyone that is still upset by my prediction is if the organized activities during the spring and training camp in the summer are "no big deal", why is anyone required to attend?
It’s not that they are no big deal, it’s that they aren’t do or die.
We arent going to put a lesser player on the field over a better one because he was around for OTAs while the better players, for whatever reason, had to sit out.

Fact.

04- ran more than pass but thats OK
07- 50/50 before Morris went down.
2010- close to 50/50
2012- 35ppg, Most running plays in a season during the BB era.

There were some other great offenses but these seemed to be the creme de la creme.
Morris is such an underrated injury during that 07 season. He was on fire. Maroney was good that year, but wasn’t as good as Morris.

Last edited:
Not sure where we disagree since I already stated a 55/45 pass/run ratio was fine. I would simply like to see a more efficient pass game with the veteran tall receivers TB finally has, providing for more aerial yards (and obviously total yards).

We do agree on the importance of controlling the click.
Yes, the click is muy importante.
Sorry, I slightly misinterpreted your post.
You were just looking for more efficiency in the pass game. Can't argue with that.
But if like to be closer to 50/50 than 55/45.
Otherwise, I agree completely. Carry on.

Yes, the click is muy importante.
Sorry, I slightly misinterpreted your post.
You were just looking for more efficiency in the pass game. Can't argue with that.
But if like to be closer to 50/50 than 55/45.
Otherwise, I agree completely. Carry on.
I think we were 55/45 last year.

Morris is such an underrated injury during that 07 season. He was on fire. Maroney that year, but wasn’t but wasn’t as good as Morris.
I firmly believe if he lasts the year he runs in the SB and they win.

Maroney was a deer in the headlights

I think we were 55/45 last year.
Not by the end of the year. I didn't research numbers but I'd bet we were 50/50 or even more favoring run than pass over last couple of reg. season games and definitely in the 3 playoff games.

Not by the end of the year. I didn't research numbers but I'd bet we were 50/50 or even more favoring run than pass over last couple of reg. season games and definitely in the 3 playoff games.
Yes that was just regular season, not counting playoffs, so you're probably right.

Yes that was just regular season, not counting playoffs, so you're probably right.

1. In games 11-13, the Patriots passed more than they ran against the Dolphins. They ran more than they passed against both the Jets and Vikings.
  2. In the last 3 regular season games, the Patriots passed more than they ran against both the Steelers and Jets. They ran more than they passed against the Bills.
  3. In the playoffs, the Patriots passed more than they ran against both the Chargers and Rams. They ran more than they passed against the Chiefs.
2018 New England Patriots Statistics & Players | Pro-Football-Reference.com

It’s not that they are no big deal, it’s that they aren’t do or die.
We arent going to put a lesser player on the field over a better one because he was around for OTAs while the better players, for whatever reason, had to sit out.

I'm not sure you are tracking what I am saying. Football at any level is hard work and in the NFL it is extremely difficult. They big guys may be better players in the long run but they have missed out on a lot of preparation. (Plus DT is still not 100% healthy) They will of course be given the opportunity to prove themselves plus the Patriots use a lot of different formations so each WR will be given opportunities to contribute.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents