PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Deebo wants out of SF

Status
Not open for further replies.
Deion Branch won a Super Bowl MVP and put up numbers very close to Deebo in 2003, so did Givens in 2004, and Troy Brown was a 1200 yard receiver in 2001 and that's nothing to sneeze at. No Fauria isn't Kittle but they still really were a similar offense in a lot of ways.

Yeah, I'm sure you'd trade Kittle and Deebo straight up for Branch and Brown :rolleyes:

Gronk and Edelman were far better than the receivers the Pats had from 2001-2004. I'm counting Gronk obviously as a "receiver."
I don't consider Edelman a "stud receiver." Gronk's a TE and he also didn't play in SB 51. That the Patriots clearly didn't have a stud receiver 2001-2004 doesn't say anything about the 2014-2018 teams. This isn't a comparison between eras... either there were stud receivers or not. Moss was a stud receiver. Welker was so incredibly productive from the slot that I think he fits the description. Unfortunately they didn't any SBs with either of them.

Deion Branch won a Super Bowl MVP and put up numbers very close to Deebo in 2003, so did Givens in 2004, and Troy Brown was a 1200 yard receiver in 2001 and that's nothing to sneeze at. No Fauria isn't Kittle but they still really were a similar offense in a lot of ways.
Deebo Samuel's 2021 blows away anything Branch, Givens or Brown ever did. Fauria and Kittle... not similar at all. Fauria wasn't even good. Kittle is a stud TE.

Thought I saw Deebo at Logan….

Yeah, I'm sure you'd trade Kittle and Deebo straight up for Branch and Brown :rolleyes:
It’s a moot point anyway when the QB is not throwing to them. JG threw 8 passes in the conference championship game. Proving that the model of winning with defense and running only has worked in this era and they’re an example of that. Which is what I said.

No Fauria isn't Kittle but they still really were a similar offense in a lot of ways.
Fauria and Kittle... not similar at all. Fauria wasn't even good. Kittle is a stud TE.
You guys are both forgetting Graham was on the team in 2002 and won with the 2003 team as a starter. With that said, Kittle still blows him out of the water.
I don't consider Edelman a "stud receiver."
Agree. However, he was an extremely solid chain mover/nuisance.
That the Patriots clearly didn't have a stud receiver 2001-2004 doesn't say anything about the 2014-2018 teams.
Pats didn't have stud WR's in 2001-2004, but the combo of Branch, Givens, Brown and Patton were damn good.

Last edited:
It’s a moot point anyway when the QB is not throwing to them. JG threw 8 passes in the conference championship game. Proving that the model of winning with defense and running only has worked in this era and they’re an example of that. Which is what I said.

What? This exactly how the Pats won from 2001-2004 - good running game, strong defense, and above average quarterbacking. The GIants used that formula to win four super bowls as well.

Belichick does not believe in elite down field threat WRs.

The only one in 20 years was Moss and he came on the cheap. If Deebo was down on his luck or a habitual drug user like Josh Gordon then yeah, but a guy at peak performance and earning potential wont be signing here.

I dont see him going to Pittsburgh or KC because they will draft a WR who can play and cost low rookie money. Watch what both teams do drafting and especially Pittsburgh. They unloaded JuJu and Washington, so I expect them to reload taking a WR early and late.

Belichick does not believe in elite down field threat WRs.

The only one in 20 years was Moss and he came on the cheap. If Deebo was down on his luck or a habitual drug user like Josh Gordon then yeah, but a guy at peak performance and earning potential wont be signing here.

I dont see him going to Pittsburgh or KC because they will draft a WR who can play and cost low rookie money. Watch what both teams do drafting and especially Pittsburgh. They unloaded JuJu and Washington, so I expect them to reload taking a WR early and late.

Belichick came from the NYG, who ran the Erhardt Perkins system in the 80s. That offense featured no top receiver, and their best weapon was a guy named Mark Bavaro. The patriots over the past two decades have been very similarly built - top defense, good running game, no pro bowl WR threat (for the most part). This formula worked back then, but I just don't know if you can continue to have long term success in this league today without weapons at receiver.

Last edited:
What? This exactly how the Pats won from 2001-2004 - good running game, strong defense, and above average quarterbacking. The GIants used that formula to win four super bowls as well.
I'm talking about today. The 49ers had a similar formula with Jimmy and came very close to winning it all. Great running and great defense.

They were the 24th ranked pass defense and 19th ranked rush defense against a last place schedule.
Are you seriously telling me that you think the 2001 Patriot defense as bad?

Are you seriously telling me that you think the 2001 Patriot defense as bad?
Never said that. They were very good at making plays. But 24th vs the pass and 19th vs the rush. Draw your own conclusions. They were not elite, not even close.

Never said that. They were very good at making plays. But 24th vs the pass and 19th vs the rush. Draw your own conclusions. They were not elite, not even close.

So what are you trying to tell us? That Tommy carried the Patriots in 2001? The same guy who had 1 TD, 1 INT in the playoffs?

At the end of the day, the Pats were ranked 6th in points allowed, which is the only defensive stat that matters. And the defense played lights out in the playoffs, not giving up 20 points to any opponent.

I'm talking about today. The 49ers had a similar formula with Jimmy and came very close to winning it all. Great running and great defense.
Coming close and winning it all are not the same thing.

At the end of the day, the Pats were ranked 6th in points allowed, which is the only defensive stat that matters. And the defense played lights out in the playoffs, not giving up 20 points to any opponent.
They were also ranked 6th in points scored - and that was after scoring only 20 points total in the first 2 games before Brady took over.

It’s hilarious how having the #6 defense is “lights out” and the strength of the team, but having the #6 offense is simply game management.

Deebo had double the total yards and 11 more TDs than Branch. They’re not even in the same ballpark

They were also ranked 6th in points scored - and that was after scoring only 20 points total in the first 2 games before Brady took over.

It’s hilarious how having the #6 defense is “lights out” and the strength of the team, but having the #6 offense is simply game management.

Just look at Brady's playoff stats - 1 TD, 1 INT, 560 yards (in 2.5 games).

Just look at Brady's playoff stats - 1 TD, 1 INT, 560 yards (in 2.5 games).
I've already slammed this ignorant statement, but I guess you like punishment, so I will do so again:

Game 1: Played in a total blizzard. Brady threw for 312 yards, ran for 1 TD, and drove the team all the way down to the 6 yard line in OT before they settled for 3 in a day and age when 3 was all it took to win. It takes a special type of moron to minimize that performance, especially given the weather (and the fact that this was a day and age when a 300 yard passing game was nothing to sneeze at)

Game 2: Hey, he got injured. Sh*t happens.

Game 3: A still-injured Tom Brady took the field with a gameplan that was clearly not designed around the passing game, especially since the Patriots had the lead throughout most of the game. He did not light the scoreboard up, but led one of the all time great drives in NFL history. He made history that day, and did something which at that time was unthinkable.

I have been saying the following statement for over 20 years now, ever since the old usenet forum: The Patriots went from 5-13 under Belichick/Bledsoe to 14-3 Super Bowl Champions under Brady. Some people still think this is just a coincidence.

This is my last Brady-related post in this thread (and, unlike you, I have the willpower to follow up on my own promises). Now do the forum a favor and stop hijacking every single thread into one about Tom Brady.

I've already slammed this ignorant statement, but I guess you like punishment, so I will do so again:

Game 1: Played in a total blizzard. Brady threw for 312 yards, ran for 1 TD, and drove the team all the way down to the 6 yard line in OT before they settled for 3 in a day and age when 3 was all it took to win. It takes a special type of moron to minimize that performance, especially given the weather (and the fact that this was a day and age when a 300 yard passing game was nothing to sneeze at)

Game 2: Hey, he got injured. Sh*t happens.

Game 3: A still-injured Tom Brady took the field with a gameplan that was clearly not designed around the passing game, especially since the Patriots had the lead throughout most of the game. He did not light the scoreboard up, but led one of the all time great drives in NFL history. He made history that day, and did something which at that time was unthinkable.

I have been saying the following statement for over 20 years now, ever since the old usenet forum: The Patriots went from 5-13 under Belichick/Bledsoe to 14-3 Super Bowl Champions under Brady. Some people still think this is just a coincidence.

This is my last Brady-related post in this thread (and, unlike you, I have the willpower to follow up on my own promises). Now do the forum a favor and stop hijacking every single thread into one about Tom Brady.

Nice excuses. At the end of the day the defense was more responsible for at least 4 super bowls under Belichick. Sorry if that hurts you.

And I'm not the one who hijacked this thread. It's you Bradyites/Bucs fans that did it. I'm just responding.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back