PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Day 2 Targets

Trade: 3+6 for OJ Howard

At this point I'll assume it's Stidham next year. So, I'm thinking strong defense to carry the team, while stidham hopefully grows and the offense finds its identity.

2: Epenesa or Gross-Matos, edge
3a: Logan Wilson or Malik Harrison, LB
3b: Davon Hamilton, Raekwon Davis, Neville Gallimore or McTelvin Agim, DT
3c: OT. I don't know enough about the ot's that are left, so just best available.
4a: Dalton Keene, TE
4b: James Proche, WR

We need to get faster on offense. I will be disappointed if we take a WR and he isn’t a burner.

I played around with some options. I don't know that this is ideal, but I wouldn't hate it, as long as big Albert O can learn to show some urgency.

Screenshot_20200424-095908.png

I played around with some options. I don't know that this is ideal, but I wouldn't hate it, as long as big Albert O can learn to show some urgency.

View attachment 27048
I have mixed feelings about Kmet so early but the draft as a whole thing looks to me great.

Trade: 3+6 for OJ Howard

At this point I'll assume it's Stidham next year. So, I'm thinking strong defense to carry the team, while stidham hopefully grows and the offense finds its identity.

2: Epenesa or Gross-Matos, edge
3a: Logan Wilson or Malik Harrison, LB
3b: Davon Hamilton, Raekwon Davis, Neville Gallimore or McTelvin Agim, DT
3c: OT. I don't know enough about the ot's that are left, so just best available.
4a: Dalton Keene, TE
4b: James Proche, WR

Can we trade for OJ Howard without sending salary back? I think we are too close to the cap to do that.

With all these picks on day two and three I would typically expect Bill to make some trades for established players, but I don't believe that is possible with how little cap space we have (granted the cap isn't my forte so correct me if i'm wrong)

37:
Ross Blacklock
Justin Madubuike
Denzel Mims
Tee Higgins
Grant Delpit
Cole Kmet

71:
Malik Harrison
Adam Trautman
Jalen Hurts
Zack Moss
Terrell Lewis
Matt Hennessy

Can we trade for OJ Howard without sending salary back? I think we are too close to the cap to do that.

With all these picks on day two and three I would typically expect Bill to make some trades for established players, but I don't believe that is possible with how little cap space we have (granted the cap isn't my forte so correct me if i'm wrong)

Trading Thuney would go a long way in clearing up some cap issues.

This is unpopular but I would consider RB Jonathan Taylor at #37 if he's still there. I'm still a bit worried about Michel long-term, and the fact that Damien Harris got redshirted the entire year is not a good sign. Jonathan Taylor is a great runner, and unlike Michel, he has home-run speed.

Again, he's not my first choice, but I would think about it if he's still there.

I have mixed feelings about Kmet so early but the draft as a whole thing looks to me great.

Kmet feels a little like settling, right? The only reason I keep coming back to him is that he's the only prototypical Y who looks like an early starter. He's also one of the youngest players in the entire draft, with plenty of room to grow bigger, stronger, faster, etc. I don't think he's going to be Gronk (who is?) but he might be Bennett. I see him as a strong #2 TE with upside. Even if he's never a top ten TE, be a huge upgrade to Izzo and Lacosse (who might comprise the single worst TE roster in the NFL).

This is unpopular but I would consider RB Jonathan Taylor at #37 if he's still there. I'm still a bit worried about Michel long-term, and the fact that Damien Harris got redshirted the entire year is not a good sign. Jonathan Taylor is a great runner, and unlike Michel, he has home-run speed.

Again, he's not my first choice, but I would think about it if he's still there.

That's crossed my mind more than a few times. Other than fumbles, he's the best pure runner we've seen in a few years. He doesn't have the flashy moves of Barkley, but in terms of speed and power, he's the best combo I've seen since Adrian Peterson.

I like Taylor a lot. Best back in the draft.

But can't do it. Too many other holes. Sony was a lot better once the line was healthy, and that was still without Andrews. The ground problems were more of an issue with the supporting cast. Limited threats in the passing game won't help any run game. I wouldnt think long term with any RB. Nature of the game today. You can draft and start one any year it becomes a need. Its not a need right now. I think you're reading too much into Harris. When he was drafted, it was a surprise because of the depth chart. His situation was 100% tied to that.

I want one of these 5 with 37
My 5 at 37, in order of preference:

T/G Joshua Jones
TE Cole Kmet
WR Michael Pittman
OLB Zach Baun
DE Yetur Gross-Matos

The good news is, at least one of these 5 will be available at 37...

The bad news is, even if ALL 5 are available, Bill will still take one of the feckin over-rated Safeties, McKinney or Delpit, and continue the streak of Day 2 DB Busts...

Last edited:
I’m hoping you’re not being facetious because I like this trade.
I don't joke about the draft @TomPatriot
I really like it :)
I've been wanting (depending on the board) for months so I'm not surprised and really like the deal. It's exactly what we needed. Early 2nd for the same level of player. More ammo to move up if to the late/mid 2nd if needed.

Did we want jefferson ourselves?

I like Taylor a lot. Best back in the draft.

But can't do it. Too many other holes. Sony was a lot better once the line was healthy, and that was still without Andrews. The ground problems were more of an issue with the supporting cast. Limited threats in the passing game won't help any run game. I wouldnt think long term with any RB. Nature of the game today. You can draft and start one any year it becomes a need. Its not a need right now. I think you're reading too much into Harris. When he was drafted, it was a surprise because of the depth chart. His situation was 100% tied to that.

Yeah, Michel definitely played better once the line got healthier, I won't disagree with that, but Michel isn't as big of a game-changer as I'd hoped. With a new QB on board, it'd be good to have a RB capable of carrying a bigger load if needed, that's where Taylor comes in. It's not like CB, where we have an abundance of talented players there.

My preference is Zach Baun or AJ Epenesa first. After that, it's all fair as long as it's not a CB.

You called the trade down BGC. I was nervous we wouldn't have any trade partners. I'm so happy for this move. In mock drafts it was torture watching the names come off the board between 23 and 87.
lol it was. Watching player after player disappear. 37 is perfect. Four 3rds & a few 4ths to move around. Today is going to be fun!

Kmet feels a little like settling, right? The only reason I keep coming back to him is that he's the only prototypical Y who looks like an early starter. He's also one of the youngest players in the entire draft, with plenty of room to grow bigger, stronger, faster, etc. I don't think he's going to be Gronk (who is?) but he might be Bennett. I see him as a strong #2 TE with upside. Even if he's never a top ten TE, be a huge upgrade to Izzo and Lacosse (who might comprise the single worst TE roster in the NFL).

I don't disagree that Kmet can be an upgrade to our current roster, but I think he lacks explosiveness. He looks like a real plodder to me.

I'd rather go BPA at 37.

I'd be fine with him in the 3rd, but we are victims of having a major need in a week draft class for TE and he and the other top TEs could be gone.

BB has the draft capital to play the value grouping game. He may view Kmet, Trautman, Bryant, Hopkins, Asiasi etc as all JAG TE prospects. Maybe he waits long as possible and when the run on TE starts, he trades into the spot necessary to grab a guy.

If we go RB at 37 that guy needs to be far and away the best back. I don't think Taylor provides that much more value than an RB that will go in the 4th or 5th. Where I think the value gap between Baun/YGM/Epenesa and an edge in the 4th or 5th provides a lot more value. I also think this is true of the top OT, WR and S available at 37.

In terms of RB, I think AJ Dillon out of BC would be a great pick in the 4-6 range. He was hampered by injuries and inept coaching to end his career at BC, but as a freshman he looked like a world-beater. He got in better shape leading up to the draft and that makes me think he could be the guy we saw Freshman year in the NFL. It would be great to add a power back that we can lean on while Stidham develops.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Back