PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Day 2 Targets

Got a question for you folks.

How do you generally like this years draft class?

The reason I ask, is that I'm not that stoked. There are obviously players that I like, but I can't say I have that many binkies this year - if any.

Did I just not spend enough time on research this year or is my feelings shared by others?

So I don't think it's a great draft either. I've been reading draft guides on the athletic and it seems like there are a lot less consensus on guys than normal. It seems like there are very few unanimous positive opinions on players which speaks negatively towards the class.

I do think there is some great depth in this draft and even more variance in terms of opinions on players due to COVID-19. Rounds 2-4 seem stronger this year than other years imo, so the Pats are in a good spot.

I think the Patriots will find a number of starters tonight, even if they might not find any all pros.

Updated board. Might shuffle some names around but this is a good idea of who's left ...

Used the PTP big board for day 2 mock. This is what I came away with. I wasn’t able to trade, which hurt a bit. Higgins was still available but got snatched by Buffalo right before my 2nd pick. Bastards!

Attachments

• 9299988B-4C53-4B1D-A40D-33D844600670.jpeg
    9299988B-4C53-4B1D-A40D-33D844600670.jpeg
    316.4 KB · Views: 9
So I don't think it's a great draft either. I've been reading draft guides on the athletic and it seems like there are a lot less consensus on guys than normal. It seems like there are very few unanimous positive opinions on players which speaks negatively towards the class.

I do think there is some great depth in this draft and even more variance in terms of opinions on players due to COVID-19. Rounds 2-4 seem stronger this year than other years imo, so the Pats are in a good spot.

I think the Patriots will find a number of starters tonight, even if they might not find any all pros.

I hope your right. And I wouldn't even be that surprised if they came away with a draft haul of players that would grow on me. Like a Winovich last year.

I just normally have 5-10 players spread across the draft that I'm really excited about. But not this year.

5'9 Safety? Is he like Honey Badger?
he might be like that little safety that Indy had the year the won the Super bowl. Him coming back turned things around for Indy at the end of the season. He ended up retiring after some neck injuries, but that kid could fill a hole and hit even at about 5'9"

he might be like that little safety that Indy had the year the won the Super bowl. Him coming back turned things around for Indy at the end of the season. He ended up retiring after some neck injuries, but that kid could fill a hole and hit even at about 5'9" Bob Sanders, I think.

That's the first time I've heard Kmet comped to Mark Bavarro. If that were true he'd be a consensus top ten pick.

Yeah If we thought he was Bavaro we don’t even think about trading the pick thinking he’d be there at 37.

Yeah If we thought he was Bavaro we don’t even think about trading the pick thinking he’d be there at 37.

And it's Fauria making the comparison, so take it with a grain of salt :rolleyes:

[QUOTE="kurtinelson, post: 5882640, member: 2449"
  • Will Miami give us a 2nd rounder for Joe Thuney?????
[/QUOTE]
as soon as we give a 2nd for Howard

Here's an interesting angle that I didn't know about until today. The Giants' new DL coach was Gross-Matos' position coach at Penn State. If that's the guy the Patriots want, then it would make sense to jump from 37 to 35 to prevent the Giants at 36 from having a shot at him. Would probably be something like 37+172 for 35+235.

You don't think Slater fly routes are enough?

But seriously - Brady's deepball accuracy wasn't good (2018-19 Deep Ball Project | Football Outsiders). Even teammate Case Keenam was possibly better (The 2019-20 Deep Ball Project (Part 2/3)). Perhaps Stidham now gives us a chance to stretch our offense.

I would hope we open it up a bit more, considering we cant rely on Stidham(or someone else) to be as efficient and accurate as Brady. But we also simply need to make defenses worry about the vertical element. Even if its just a look, we need someone they have to worry about getting deep.

He's in that mold, even if he's not as talented. I wish he were a bit more dynamic, but he's the best shot we have of upgrading the position for cheap IMO.

Is he clearly head and shoulders above Trautman?

My opinion is that the Pats are not Super Bowl contenders next year and we have a lot of holes on our roster that need upgrading. I'd rather take a BPA approach. Kmet is nowhere near the 37th best player in the draft IMO, but I do understand that TE seems to be a difficult position to fill.

You don't think Slater fly routes are enough?

But seriously - Brady's deepball accuracy wasn't good (2018-19 Deep Ball Project | Football Outsiders). Even teammate Case Keenam was possibly better (The 2019-20 Deep Ball Project (Part 2/3)). Perhaps Stidham now gives us a chance to stretch our offense.

The deep ball accuracy will be interesting this year. I always thought Brady was overly cautious on throwing deep balls often airmailing guys. But outside of Moss he never really had great deep ball threats. He didn't have tallish receivers who he could be comfortable would go up and win a contested ball deep. for all his speed, Cooks didn't create the consistent deep ball separation I had thought he would. Hogan was actually a deep threat one year because other receivers drew coverage away from him. So I think Brady just the it's my guy or no one approach to throwing deep and that led to some inaccuracy. It will be interesting to see how Stidham fares and whether Brady has a different approach throwing to Godwin and Evans this year.

This is unpopular but I would consider RB Jonathan Taylor at #37 if he's still there. I'm still a bit worried about Michel long-term, and the fact that Damien Harris got redshirted the entire year is not a good sign. Jonathan Taylor is a great runner, and unlike Michel, he has home-run speed.

Again, he's not my first choice, but I would think about it if he's still there.
Love Taylor, reminds me of a way lesser AP, great balance of speed and power that we don't see much anymore

Odd fit with NE right now, but ever know

Only knock is his mileage

Is he clearly head and shoulders above Trautman?

My opinion is that the Pats are not Super Bowl contenders next year and we have a lot of holes on our roster that need upgrading. I'd rather take a BPA approach. Kmet is nowhere near the 37th best player in the draft IMO, but I do understand that TE seems to be a difficult position to fill.

Kmet is clearly the cream of the crop to me, but I don't like him as much as I liked a few of the third/fourth rounders last year. I'd have taken Knox or Moreau quite happily. Kmet has the potential to be a better blocker, but he's not as dynamic as they are. In terms of pure pass catchers, Hopkins and Asiasi excite me, but that's about it. They have other problems, though.

I don't know how to measure best players. Uou can make a case for numerous different players/positions as the best. I care a lot more about team composition. We don't have the cap space to sign someone in FA, and after Kmet / Trautman / Asiasi / Hopkins I don't like any of the TEs in this draft at all. So we're up against the wall now, and we're going to have to bring in a player at some point.

I'm just talking in circles, though, because I agree with you: I also prefer other players, especially at 37. I'd prefer to get a 2021 1st and clean up in the 3rd round. We'll see what happens.

For what it's worth, The Draft Network has updated their Mock Draft Simulator to reflect last night's results.

The Draft Network
Just finished one...

Josh Jones, OT/G Houston
  • Center might be in better hands for now, but RT is still a disaster...

Jeremy Chinn, LB/S Southern Illinois
  • An athletic LB: What a concept...

Chase Claypool, TE/WR Notre Dame
  • Couldn't draft Batman; might as well draft Robin instead...

Antonio Gibson, XB Memphis
  • Weapon.

Leki Fotu, DT Utah
  • Fat Thor sucks.

Kenny Robinson, FS West Virginia
  • This is where Billy would draft a DB this year if he knew what he was doing...

Isaiah Hodgins, WR Oregon State
  • Professional...reliable...a legacy too...

Keith Ismael, C/G San Diego State
  • Mongo replacement/Andrews understudy.

Jacob Phillips, LB LSU
  • More and much-needed fresh blood for the LB room...

Dalton Keene, TE Virginia Tech
  • Same for the TE room...

D.J. Wonnum, DE South Carolina
  • A project at this level, but a good-looking toolbox...

John Reid, SlotCB Penn State
  • A Johnny Jones understudy/replacement...

John Hightower, WR Boise State
  • Taking a shot at a possible 9-route champ...

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back