PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Dak's not going to emulate Brady (contract)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dak has been the starting quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys the last three years. He will continue to do so the next few years. I would not be surprised if his agent insists on making Dak the highest paid QB in the league. Heck, every team with a decent non-rookie QB makes an avg of 25 million. Why should Dak Prescott forego his money? Let the management build a team around him with the remaining resources - every other team is doing it (except for the Pats who have an extra 5 million to work with)

Dak stinks

Yeah, I don’t see this “average” QB myself. The bar has been raised significantly for the QB position. Average would need to be around the 15-17 range.

Brady
Rodgers
Mahomes
Brees
Ryan
Rivers
Luck
Watson
Wilson
Rivers
Roethlisberger
Goff
Wentz
Foles
Garoppolo (don’t try to tell me he isn’t already 10x better than Dak)
Mayfield

I just named 16 QBs that are undeniably more desirable to have than Prescott, where if they were all free agents, you’d want these guys over Prescott. Now you’re into the next class, where I’d personally take these guys over him as well:

Newton
Cousins
Stafford
Smith (if healthy)
Trubisky

Count is at 21 now.

I’m not sure I’d want him over
Tannehill,
Flacco,
Dalton,
Mariota, or
Carr,

and then you have a bunch of young guys drafted high who still may develop like

Rosen,
Darnold, and
Allen.

I just listed 29 quarterbacks. Did any one of them make you think “That’s insane! Dak is clearly way better than him!”

Given this, why on earth would you give this guy a big contract? It isn’t difficult anymore to find a competent quarterback. You could likely just draft a QB with the same skill level as Prescott.

Last edited:

Come on.

Even if you thought you were doing well at the start, when you were tossing Foles and JAG in there, once you tossed Trubisky in, you should have realized you'd gone off the rails.

Come on.

Even if you thought you were doing well at the start, when you were tossing Foles and JAG in there, once you tossed Trubisky in, you should have realized you'd gone off the rails.

He could be moved down to the next category. He sucks, but so does Prescott.

He could be moved down to the next category. He sucks, but so does Prescott.

Last year, the following teams had QBs that it would be ridiculous to claim were clearly better than Prescott.

Miami/NY/Buf
Cin/Bal
Ten/Jaz
Oak/Den
NY
Chi/Det
TB
SF/Az

That's just under half the league (15 teams), and that doesn't count QBs who's years were down enough that we'd have to at least think about the ranking, if we were being honest about last year.

I'm not a Prescott fan, and I think he's too reliant on Elliott, but average is a fair slotting for the guy.

yup...I agree to a point but I keep thinking Romo was average. In Cowboy terms that would seem to make Prescott less than Romo average.

aww forget it...I'm just babbling. Look, Prescott? Don't like him, don't like his intangibles, don't like his decision making, don't like his ceiling...just don't like him. Let Dallas pay him Rodgers money. I hate that idiot Jerruh and want to see the continued established pattern of grossly idiotic general managing he's displayed for 2 decades.

Dallas would be wise to wait another year before they’re forced to make a decision on a long term deal. There’s no reason to rush things when he’s under his rookie contract. He’s not going to hold out, FFS.

Please pay Dak $$$. I hate the Cows franchise and overpaying for mediocrity at an expensive position will sink them.

I love how everyone is glossing over the $700k year for 4 years. If Cowboys wanted a hometown discount, they should have extended him soon after his rookie or second year. Build some good will.

Brady started taking below market deals way before he married Giselle. He was also extended after winning the 1st SB....or am I misremembering?

I love how everyone is glossing over the $700k year for 4 years. If Cowboys wanted a hometown discount, they should have extended him soon after his rookie or second year. Build some good will.

Brady started taking below market deals way before he married Giselle. He was also extended after winning the 1st SB....or am I misremembering?

No that’s correct. The idea that Brady takes less because of Gisele is yet another moronic idea that has been repeated countless times by the dolts in the press. All these franchise quarterbacks on their third contract already have 100M+ in earnings from playing alone, not including endorsements and investments.

The idea that Brady takes less solely because he is financially able to, while these other blue collar guys (Mannings, Rodgers, Ryan, Stafford, Brees) need to take more to support their families, is reasoning at its absolute worst. These are all insanely wealthy individuals who are equally as set as Brady financially. It’s a great excuse to undermine Brady’s commitment to winning and the example he puts forth to the rest of the team in taking less financially to build a legacy.

Sorry if these other guys have different motivations, but leave Gisele out of it. And frankly, it’s just really low class for this little turd to be talking about another athlete’s wife/finances to begin with. There’s already a big red flag about this guy, considering how easy this question was to answer with: “I just want to play football for the Dallas Cowboys. I’ll let my agent and the team work out the rest.”

I love how everyone is glossing over the $700k year for 4 years. If Cowboys wanted a hometown discount, they should have extended him soon after his rookie or second year.

The CBA now prohibits extending a rookie until after his third season.

Can you change the title to end with (contract or career) ?

Patriots fans are probably in the worst possible position to evaluate personnel decisions involv other teams' quarterbacks. Tom Brady is so great that by comparison everyone looks mediocre.

Dak Prescott is decent. You can get to the playoffs with him without it being a fluke. He's definitely a cut or two above Blake Bortles even if no sane individual would describe him as elite. With a player like that in hand, gambling on a draft pick in the bush isn't a good idea. It's generally better, with a quarterback who's good enough to make the playoffs, to work with him despite his flaws rather than throwing the whole franchise into reverse just because your current QB isn't perfect.

I see Dak Prescott the same way we did with Drew Bledsoe before we stumbled onto Brady. We'd like to do better ideally, but barring a miracle it wasn't likely to happen, and it's not worth going into the tank to force it to happen, so we soldier on with the guy we have and hope for lightning to strike and a few deep playoff runs to happen.

That's about where the Cowboys are with Prescott. Just getting into the playoffs is a worthwhile objective for that team, so they'll pay Dak because once you punch your ticket to January, anything could plausibly happen.

Dak needs a strong team to win it all, can't do that If he takes all the money. He will also be murdered in the media when he doesn't play well with his big salary.

The conventional wisdom is that good QBs are so hard to find, and you need a competent QB to win in today's NFL, so it's justifiable to overpay for an average QB. What other choice do you have? Flacco is a great example. I accepted that for a while. But now that I think about it, I can't come up with a single team that this strategy has worked out for. Dak is over valuing himself because the market will. If the Cowboys are smart they will let him walk and draft a QB. You can't pay a guy of his caliber Tom Brady money.

The conventional wisdom is that good QBs are so hard to find, and you need a competent QB to win in today's NFL, so it's justifiable to overpay for an average QB. What other choice do you have? Flacco is a great example. I accepted that for a while. But now that I think about it, I can't come up with a single team that this strategy has worked out for. Dak is over valuing himself because the market will. If the Cowboys are smart they will let him walk and draft a QB. You can't pay a guy of his caliber Tom Brady money.
At the very least, they need to wait until next year to make the decision. They can get a better read on him with another year under his belt, especially since they went out and brought in some decent talent at WR for him to throw to in Cooper + Gallup. If he doesn’t do well in 2019 then you need to consider going in another direction. If he does do well, you extend him with a big time QB deal.

Taking it one step further, Ezekiel Elliot is threatening to hold out if he isn’t given a new deal by the summer, so he takes priority over Prescott.

The conventional wisdom is that good QBs are so hard to find, and you need a competent QB to win in today's NFL, so it's justifiable to overpay for an average QB. What other choice do you have? Flacco is a great example. I accepted that for a while. But now that I think about it, I can't come up with a single team that this strategy has worked out for.

2002 Tampa Bay Buccaneers season - Wikipedia

The conventional wisdom is that good QBs are so hard to find, and you need a competent QB to win in today's NFL, so it's justifiable to overpay for an average QB. What other choice do you have? Flacco is a great example. I accepted that for a while. But now that I think about it, I can't come up with a single team that this strategy has worked out for.

Giants 2011 (E. Manning)
Broncos 2015 (P. Manning)

Hope Brady plays to 45 or longer, our next QB when it's time is gonna want like 30M a yr by then.

Yeah, and he won't be a quarter of Brady.

Honestly, with all those damn universities around Boston, can't they give some school 50-100 million to find a way to freeze Brady's age? That way, we could have this Brady for the next 40-50 years!

I suspect Brady has already been cloned by the sci-ops division of the Patriots...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing