PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Curran: Bills coming due for Patriots dynasty after this season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like I said, it was something discussed on podcasts and talk shows, so I don’t have a link to provide because it was speculative. I was simply noting the rumor.

HUH? Since when are you unable to provide a link to a podcast?

When I was doing pro bowl voting and came across Jordan Richards at the SS position I had to clean a lot of water off my monitor that I spit up from laughing so hard

I can’t believe he’s their starter lol
I’m going to vote for him just to troll.

Please provide your link that the Patriots were going to cut Brissett..

Curran and Perry talking about it on QuickSlants leading up to the draft.

They had an episode that focused on QBs and specifically Lamar Jackson and both said that they are not sure if the coaching staff would be inclined for another experiment with someone who is not necessarily a classic thrower. They brought up JB failing to make the jump, then also how some of his balls were just awful in camp and finished it by clearly talking about him being a cut candidate.

That being said nobody clearly said he would most definitely get cut because obviously only BB (and Caserio) would have that information.

They were matched up against two rank divisions (AFC West (best record 8-8) and NFC West (best record 9-7)) while still loaded with most of the talent from the 16-0 season (much tougher competition record-wise loaded with wins against playoff teams) one year prior. The Pats did not play the Ravens or Titans, and lost to the Chargers, Steelers and Colts. They closed out the year beating up on an inconsistent Cardinals team (the crown jewel that season - 9-7 division winner, despite the loss) and split with the Fish. After the bad loss to the Steelers, the season ended with wins against a 4-12 team, 5-11 team, 9-7 team and a 7-9 team.

I credit BB for not letting the team shut down after Brady fell in the first game and keeping them competitive when others would fold, but losing to more or less the entire playoff bracket on the schedule does not make that a damn good team. If that team played the 2007 schedule, then I would be surprised if it was better than .500. There is a reason why this 11-5 team did not make the playoff cut.

Fun to watch, but you may be viewing that season through rose-colored glasses.

Nope.

Arizona came within a play of winning the SB that year. They came to Foxboro in Week 16. They were blown out.

Miami won the division. They stayed home to play the Pats in Week 12. They were blown out.

Steelers were the only AFC team better than the Pats in 2008. The Pats were playing really well when the season ended and would have beaten the Ravens like a drum.

When I was doing pro bowl voting and came across Jordan Richards at the SS position I had to clean a lot of water off my monitor that I spit up from laughing so hard

I can’t believe he’s their starter lol
It definitely gives some useful context explaining how they're the worst defense in the league by DVOA.

Ironclad rule, here: If Jordan Richards is starting on your defense then your defense sucks.

HUH? Since when are you unable to provide a link to a podcast?
I’m not going to dig around a bunch of old podcasts from training camp of 2017 just to prove a point on an internet messageboard, DaBruinz. That would take hours, not to mention the fact that it would be insane.

You can choose to believe me or not, that’s up to you. I can assure you that it was discussed by at least a couple of the beat writers, and there have been posters here who have discussed it, too. Again, it was just a speculative rumor that Brissett was in danger of being cut. I can’t say for certain that it was 100% accurate, but there was some belief that he wasn’t developing into the type of passer that they had hoped, as well as the idea that having Brady and Garappolo were sufficient enough to save the roster spot used on a QB3.

I’m not going to dig around a bunch of old podcasts from training camp of 2017 just to prove a point on an internet messageboard, DaBruinz. That would take hours, not to mention the fact that it would be insane.

You can choose to believe me or not, that’s up to you. I can assure you that it was discussed by at least a couple of the beat writers, and there have been posters here who have discussed it, too. Again, it was just a speculative rumor that Brissett was in danger of being cut. I can’t say for certain that it was 100% accurate, but there was some belief that he wasn’t developing into the type of passer that they had hoped, as well as the idea that having Brady and Garappolo were sufficient enough to save the roster spot used on a QB3.

Media article:

Cutting Jacoby Brissett would be dumb

Posters discussing in the comments:

Patriots trade Jacoby Brissett to Colts for Phillip Dorsett

There's more to be found, but that should get you started.

Yeah as really Brissett is a great backup. Not really a starter IMHO.

Gost's 2018 cap hit is actually $5M.

If the overriding goal is to maximize cap space, sure, let Gost walk. If it's something else that includes winning games, letting the current best kicker in the league (second best kicker in league history) walk to save <2.5% in total cap expenses doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

2.5% of our cap could have gotten us a 3rd down pass coversge LB....just sayin'

Nope.

Arizona came within a play of winning the SB that year. They came to Foxboro in Week 16. They were blown out.

Miami won the division. They stayed home to play the Pats in Week 12. They were blown out.

Steelers were the only AFC team better than the Pats in 2008. The Pats were playing really well when the season ended and would have beaten the Ravens like a drum.
Ah, yup.

As stated, the win against the Cardinals was the crown jewel and the Pats split with the Fish. That was in the post. They lost to every other playoff team. Also in the post. They beat a bunch of tomato cans down the stretch (also in the post with records). One of those tomato cans was, in fact, the Cardinals.

I gave you the records and statistics. You counter with your opinion and what's in your mind. I'm not going to argue what's going on there. I believe contemporaneous articles and box scores that support your point.

As a history refresher, the Cardinals were playing like trash when the Pats played them. They had lost 3 of the last 5 games before the Pats destroyed them. Warner, in discussing the Super Bowl run in the Super Bowl video (no, I don't have the video so you can search for that if you like) and/or his A Football Life (same) interviews, stated the beatdown at the hands of the Pats was the turning point for that season. The Pats did not play the Super Bowl caliber team motivated by that loss. They played the chump team that went 2-4 in that stretch. The Pats were the Cardinals' "On to Cincinnati" moment.

And a win against the Super Bowl loser does not translate to playoff success, which is true of any NFL matchup. Patriots beat the Dolphins in the playoffs in '85. Dolphins beat the Bears. I don't recall the Pats beating the Bears in '85. Maybe you recall that game differently and the Pats had the Bears by the throat and let them slip away in losing the championship game. The box score would disagree.

This is an article from 1/1/2009 (note the contemporaneous article) describing the improbable run and good fortune of the Cardinals to close out as they did. This is Wikipedia's summary as a bonus: "Under Whisenhunt's first season as head coach, the Cardinals finished with an 8–8 record in 2007. Arizona then started out the 2008 season strong, winning 7 of their first 10 games. But then things fell apart as the team lost 4 of their last 6, hitting a low point with a brutal 47–7 loss to the New England Patriots in week 16. Arizona's 34–21 win over the Seattle Seahawks in the following week was just enough for them to finish with a 9–7 record and earn the #4 seed in the playoffs . . . ."

And the Pats beat the Fish 48-28 in Miami in week 12 after losing at home in Week 2 38-13. My memory may be a tad hazy, but wasn't that bad loss the wildcat gimmick game that worked once? After BB saw it once, he studied it, designed a defense for it, and then ended it in the second game (as did other teams with that blueprint). The Fish then got squished by Baltimore in the playoffs in Miami 27-9 by that Ravens team you believe was so beatable. The Ravens, unlike the Fish, were not running a gimmick offense, and dropped that Dolphins team when it counted and on the road. Again, actual history rather than unsupported conjecture. Rose-colored glasses, as previously stated.

Last edited:
Ah, yup.

As stated, the win against the Cardinals was the crown jewel and the Pats split with the Fish. That was in the post. They lost to every other playoff team. Also in the post. They beat a bunch of tomato cans down the stretch (also in the post with records). One of those tomato cans was, in fact, the Cardinals.

I gave you the records and statistics. You counter with your opinion and what's in your mind. I'm not going to argue what's going on there. I believe contemporaneous articles and box stores that support your point.

As a history refresher, the Cardinals were playing like trash when the Pats played them. They had lost 3 of the last 5 games before the Pats destroyed them. Warner, in discussing the Super Bowl run in the Super Bowl video (no, I don't have the video so you can search for that if you like) and/or his A Football Life (same) interviews, stated the beatdown at the hands of the Pats was the turning point for that season. The Pats did not play the Super Bowl caliber team motivated by that loss. They played the chump team that went 2-4 in that stretch. The Pats were the Cardinals' "On to Cincinnati" moment.

And a win against the Super Bowl loser does not translate to playoff success, which is true of any NFL matchup. Patriots beat the Dolphins in the playoffs in '85. Dolphins beat the Bears. I don't recall the Pats beating the Bears in '85. Maybe you recall that game differently and the Pats had the Bears by the throat and let them slip away in losing the championship game. The box score would disagree.

This is an article from 1/1/2009 (note the contemporaneous article) describing the improbable run and good fortune of the Cardinals to close out as they did. This is Wikipedia's summary as a bonus: "Under Whisenhunt's first season as head coach, the Cardinals finished with an 8–8 record in 2007. Arizona then started out the 2008 season strong, winning 7 of their first 10 games. But then things fell apart as the team lost 4 of their last 6, hitting a low point with a brutal 47–7 loss to the New England Patriots in week 16. Arizona's 34–21 win over the Seattle Seahawks in the following week was just enough for them to finish with a 9–7 record and earn the #4 seed in the playoffs . . . ."

And the Pats beat the Fish 48-28 in Miami in week 12 after losing at home in Week 2 38-13. My memory may be a tad hazy, but wasn't that bad loss the wildcat gimmick game that worked once? After BB saw it once, he studied it, designed a defense for it, and then ended it in the second game (as did other teams with that blueprint). The Fish then got squished by Baltimore in the playoffs in Miami 27-9 by that Ravens team you believe was so beatable. The Ravens, unlike the Fish, were not running a gimmick offense, and dropped that Dolphins team when it counted and on the road. Again, actual history rather than unsupported conjecture. Rose-colored glasses, as previously stated.

They played one of the weakest schedules in history that year. The Arizona game was also in horrible weather for a team used to the desert.

They may have had a puncher's chance that season had they made the playoffs but the downgrade from Brady to Cassel was a huge one, especially since Cassel was effectively leading what was still the best offense in history. The Patriots probably would have gone 15-1 that season with Brady, the only loss coming early to the Wildcat Dolphins.

They played one of the weakest schedules in history that year. The Arizona game was also in horrible weather for a team used to the desert.

They may have had a puncher's chance that season had they made the playoffs but the downgrade from Brady to Cassel was a huge one, especially since Cassel was effectively leading what was still the best offense in history. The Patriots probably would have gone 15-1 that season with Brady, the only loss coming early to the Wildcat Dolphins.
2006-2008 was a three year stretch of coulda beens, especially with Brady’s injury added to the mix. All of those teams were impressive enough to have won a SB (assuming Brady’s healthy in ‘08).

2006-2008 was a three year stretch of coulda beens, especially with Brady’s injury added to the mix. All of those teams were impressive enough to have won a SB (assuming Brady’s healthy in ‘08).

2006-2008 is what to cite when people start insisting that 2014 and 2016 were flukes, or lucky. New England was probably 3 plays away from winning 3 straight Super Bowls in those seasons (or 2 plays and the flu, depending upon how you want to categorize 2006).

2006-2008 is what to cite when people start insisting that 2014 and 2016 were flukes, or lucky. New England was probably 3 plays away from winning 3 straight Super Bowls in those seasons (or 2 plays and the flu, depending upon how you want to categorize 2006).
2006 is mixed in that regard. Sure, the flu and some bad reffing (and to be fair, some bad plays) screwed them in the AFCCG, but if you're looking at things that way they never should have been in the AFCCG. Brady threw the pretty much game-losing INT only to be bailed out by McCree's stupidity and Troy Brown's effort (IIRC there's film showing Schottenheimer in practice that very week coaching his DBs to knock the ball down or go down if they get an INT on 4th down).

When I read your thread title I thought you meant the Buffalo Bills and couldn't figure out what it meant. It might as well have been about the Buffalo Bills though. This article is depressing, more for the fact that Curran is supposed to be somewhat of a homer and yet he adopts the Chicken Little/The Sky is Falling mantra of so many others. Why can't someone in the sports media just enjoy what the Pats are doing right now? Marvel at how they manage to stay on top despite how hard it is to do so in the NFL year after year? Look at last year's Super Bowl Champs. They can't even come up with a winning record this year. I'm so done with the media. I shouldn't HAVE clicked.

I was also disappointed in Tom E, but I won't give up on him just yet.

This just goes to show you that the formula that the mediots use is a faulty one. It's like they all have to get down to the same low level to survive in their dying business.

I was also disappointed in Tom E, but I won't give up on him just yet.

This just goes to show you that the formula that the mediots use is a faulty one. It's like they all have to get down to the same low level to survive in their dying business.

Well, the corporate honchos believe that they need to appeal to the lowest common denominator (IQ) or they'll lose 75% of their audience. Unfortunately, they're almost certainly correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes