PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Coronavirus RESPECTFUL Discussion Only! (Mod edit: Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Forgive me for not being an alarmist

I’ll get out my tinfoil and start making some hats

My friend texted me about 55 minutes ago that some schools in Boston where they live have closed for 1 month. There will be families with working parents that are going to have to figure out how to manage that now. Some won't be able to get 4 weeks of leave time, some won't be able to afford not working without pay and many won't be able to afford daycare (my friend pays $2300 a month for daycare.. granted they're upper-class and well off, but all daycare is extremely expensive)

Should we just send a mass email out to all those families saying, "Don't be alarmists, git gud AMIRITE!?"

This would be funny if it wasn't so damn tragic. Trump and Pence say testing is going well, their handpicked point man Anthony Fauci tells Congress it's an abject failure. Meanwhile, South Korea has drive-up testing available for anyone who wants it and has the problem contained while the U.S. can't even define it.

More black humor: the market starts a minor rally and then immediately after Trump's national address last night does its deepest dive in 33 FREAKING YEARS! o_Oo_Oo_O

My ex tells me she's waiting to see if it's safe enough to take our kids to see their grandparents in Taiwan. I told her that the real risk is your parents getting sick from our kids and not our kids getting sick from going to the safest country in Asia. They'll be safer there than here. Which is a freaking sad thing to say.

So what you're saying is that a health care system that works well in one place might not necessarily work as well in a different place with a much larger population? hmmmmmm...........
What I'm saying is the 81,000 cases in a country with 1.4 billion is a pittance. That would be equivalent to about 18,485 cases in the US. There's already over 1,600 cases here and its just starting.

In addition, it seems China cases are starting to decrease because of their reaction (including building hospitals in a matter of days). It takes years here just to get a license to be able to build a hospital. Zoning approvals another year or more. Construction a few more years.

My friend texted me about 55 minutes ago that some schools in Boston where they live have closed for 1 month. There will be families with working parents that are going to have to figure out how to manage that now. Some won't be able to get 4 weeks of leave time, some won't be able to afford not working without pay and many won't be able to afford daycare (my friend pays $2300 a month for daycare.. granted they're upper-class and well off, but all daycare is extremely expensive)

Should we just send a mass email out to all those families saying, "Don't be alarmists, git gud AMIRITE!?"

What do you recommend we do?

sitting here hoping I lose enough weight in the next week so I can stick my head between my legs and kiss my old azz goodbye....:confused:

Sorry. You're under contract. You're not allowed to leave evah.

And I'm sure you think that made a difference, given your great understanding of how a disease like this spreads.

China Airlines jets were still coming into LAX - because they were full of US citizens, you think that makes a difference because of nationality with regard to spreading a virus? South Korea never slowed traffic, nor Italy until now - and no, they were not testing, or even screening most entering. There are about 100,000 US citizens in China at any given time - and the bans had dozens of "exemptions" for aliens entering.

I suppose you think this "European ban" will make a difference, too.
A couple things. When did i say it made difference? I understand more than most about how the disease spreads but more about that in a minute. You defended Biden's snowflake attacks, fine. I dont like the whole snowflake talking point thing either but be real. Biden clearly was dismissing the seriousness of the virus and was looking for political points by describing it as Trump hysteria. Im a health care giver and work that works in a hospital that has several positive covid 19 virus patients. I know pretty much as anyone how it spreads and the risks. We also have several presumptive cases being tested now. I have been directly involved with them. I am in a top risk group being over 65. Im not defensing Trump or Biden. Practically everyone was ignorant of what we're dealing with. You're playing politics along with Trump and Biden.

We’re in that boat now too. My kids schools are closed here in San Jose. The domino effect is far reaching.

What do you recommend we do?

I don't have the answers, but I think a good starting place would be to try and at least acknowledge that we face real issues as a society and that we can do better

I wish I had all the answers.. if I did maybe I could be President of the United States of America! Probably not though.. not tall, rich, smart or ruthless enough to pull that off. Maybe a foreign wife would help, I'll bounce that idea off my current wife and see what she thinks

Last edited:
They lost a lot of talent with Diakete, Jerome, and Salt leaving. They need to replenish.

This year they lose Diakite and Key. Jerome and Salt et al left after the championship.

Houser may be the best player in the conference next year. Excellent incoming class. That's why they are expected to do so well next year.

What’s blowing my mind is how fast this went from it’s like the flu, wash your hands, cover your mouth when coughing, and be extra careful around the elderly/immune system compromised to schools are closing for weeks, maybe a month in a 24 hour time span. I got the notice from my sons school tonight at dinner that they are closed at least tmrw and for the foreseeable future but they will let us know when they have more information. What changed? It’s the same thing we have known about for a month now and yet all of a sudden it’s the deadliest virus of all time that has shut down society.

What I'm saying is the 81,000 cases in a country with 1.4 billion is a pittance. That would be equivalent to about 18,485 cases in the US. There's already over 1,600 cases here and its just starting.

In addition, it seems China cases are starting to decrease because of their reaction (including building hospitals in a matter of days). It takes years here just to get a license to be able to build a hospital. Zoning approvals another year or more. Construction a few more years.
The fact that they are a totalitarian regime kinda helps also. Simple fact is they can do things that would never fly here in America - no matter whom the President was.

The fact that they are a totalitarian regime kinda helps also. Simple fact is they can do things that would never fly here in America - no matter whom the President was.

That explains China but it doesn't explain Taiwan which is the safest country to travel to in Asia.

Schools closed for 3-weeks starting Monday here in Denver. Wonder how the nurses are going to be able to treat me at the hospital and take care of their kids at home at the same time? fun stuff. How long will the economy take to recover from this? months or years?

What’s blowing my mind is how fast this went from it’s like the flu, wash your hands, cover your mouth when coughing, and be extra careful around the elderly/immune system compromised to schools are closing for weeks, maybe a month in a 24 hour time span. I got the notice from my sons school tonight at dinner that they are closed at least tmrw and for the foreseeable future but they will let us know when they have more information. What changed? It’s the same thing we have known about for a month now and yet all of a sudden it’s the deadliest virus of all time that has shut down society.
Our government has known about this more than two months and STILL is lying about it. This is America, for crapsakes. What's going on right now is beyond shameful.

Pazrul...this is NOT like the flu...it's a cold virus...otherwise known as the common cold. This iteration clogs the lungs with phlegm, which is especially dangerous for those of us with COPD and previous pneumonia episodes. I'm pretty much cooked if I get it but I know how to deal with it, fluids fluids fluids, some Tylenol and bed rest

Oh, there will be a test balloon here in America sometime in the next few months about a national crisis requiring continuity in leadership, and corrupting the voting process. If it doesn't drive the disapproval ratings much higher, there will be some kind of move from the Senate to put off the November election "for a year or until the pandemic has cleared up and the country fully recovered."

Arguing with the mirror again? That's not what they mean by "social distancing."

Thanks for proving my point. Deflect, deflect, deflect. Always taking a pseudo position of superiority, and anyone that doesn't line up is stupid, or a Trumper, or some other ad hominem.

All this crap does, is divide people further and further away while simultaneously hardening their positions. But maybe that's the goal? Is that what you seek to do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back