PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Coronavirus RESPECTFUL Discussion Only! (Mod edit: Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Barack didn't do it until 6 months after the 1st case of H1N1 in April of 2009. We'll be fine.

DECLARATION OF A NATIONAL EMERGENCY WITH RESPECT TO THE 2009 H1N1 INFLUENZA PANDEMIC
BY THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
A PROCLAMATION
October 24, 2009

“NOW, THEREFORE, I, BARACK OBAMA, President of the United States of America, by virtue of the authority vested in me by the Constitution and the laws of the United States, including sections 201 and 301 of the National Emergencies Act (50 U.S.C. 1601 et seq.) and consistent with section 1135 of the Social Security Act (SSA), as amended (42 U.S.C. 1320b-5), do hereby find and proclaim that, given that the rapid increase in illness across the Nation may overburden health care resources and that the temporary waiver of certain standard Federal requirements may be warranted in order to enable U.S. health care facilities to implement emergency operations plans, the 2009 H1N1 influenza pandemic in the United States constitutes a national emergency. Accordingly, I hereby declare that the Secretary may exercise the authority under section 1135 of the SSA to temporarily waive or modify certain requirements of the Medicare, Medicaid, and State Children's Health Insurance programs and of the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act Privacy Rule throughout the duration of the public health emergency declared in response to the 2009 H1N1 influenza pandemic. In exercising this authority, the Secretary shall provide certification and advance written notice to the Congress as required by section 1135(d) of the SSA (42 U.S.C. 1320b-5(d)).”4

You're still fighting a political battle?

I don't understand your point. Obama failed too so .... Or Trump failed less?

This administration failed miserably.

After reading some of this thread I have to comment, but first some background.
I worked in the hospital setting/medical profession for 18 years staring in 1974, mostly in the O.R. Eventually in the 80's I became an RN, but I worked and a number of other jobs also including the x-ray dep. I worked with highly infectious pts on many occasions, so much so that still automatically take precautions will in public settings such as not pushing elevator buttons with my fingers(I use my knuckles) not touching door knobs with my bare hands (always use a shirt sleeve or hat) I went into the local big y and saw lines of 10 or 12 people in each line , I turned around and left immediately, I left the medical profession because of the stress of having 8-10 pts and making $13 dollars and hour. I went back in the early 2000's for a couple of years. but worked for the Anesthesia dept, like I did in the seventies and early eighties.
Ironically when i left in the late eighties I decided I'd do what I always wanted, gunsmith. I graduated from the Pennsylvania Gunsmith school inn 1992. So I have a background in a couple of areas in this thread.
This is not the Zombie Apocalypse, as long as you take precautions such as staying away from crowds and wsh your hands often you should be safe. Theres no need to hoard things, this isn't the Cuban missle crises where the world was on the brink of nuclear war, I lived through that and remember my parents stocking up on canned
potatos . Corona virus isn't going to come through the faucet, and the water isn't going to stop flowing, hoarding is exacerbating the situation. On guns (not that I believe people are going to break in and steal toilet paper) I would use a short barreled shot gun such as an Ithaca deer slayer loaded with buckshot, you don't have to be precise in your aim in close quarters.
PS, im not panicking, but I am being more vigilant, avoiding crowds, and washing my hands.

Because November is a binary choice, and the other guy is the one who has utterly failed.

Biden, Weld, Charlie Baker, Sanders, Pete, Amy, any of them - will surround themselves with more competent people.

Biden wasn't my personal first, second, or third choice - neither was Sanders - but whatever. November is binary.
But because of ideology and party affiliation you will support Biden over Trump. That is fine.

Am I naive thinking that test kits will only reduce some of the hysteria, regardless of how many positive cases come up? To me, the concern right is simply not knowing who has it, or if someone can go hug parents/grandparents without legitimately endangering their lives. Even if testing reveals that a million people have it, then those people can quarantine and we should be able to largely mitigate the spread from there?

I think you're correct. Some will overreact, but having more data is never a bad thing.

It will result in many more closures of schools n stores though to prevent spread.

Some folks just need the info before they act.

You're still fighting a political battle?

I don't understand your point. Obama failed too so .... Or Trump failed less?

This administration failed miserably.

Not surprised. How can you say the Administration has failed miserably when we don't know the ultimate outcome? That's like saying a baseball team failed after 2 innings of a game. We'll see how the Administration proceeds over the coming weeks and months. There have been 50 deaths in the US since the outbreak started in December. That's almost 3 months. Very little chance at preventing any deaths in any outbreak - they are bound to happen. The question is how much it can be mitigated.

A Public Health Emergency and National Emergency are 2 different things. Invoking a National Emergency gives the President more powers.

Obama had the money, relaxed the red tape and had a million tests in the field in 2 weeks.

EDIT: Add: Disagree all you want - the timeline and details page of the actions taken is still up at CDC. Everything I just stated is in the public record and has been for a decade.

Last edited:
Not surprised. How can you say the Administration has failed miserably when we don't know the ultimate outcome? That's like saying a baseball team failed after 2 innings of a game. We'll see how the Administration proceeds over the coming weeks and months. There have been 50 deaths in the US since the outbreak started in December. That's almost 3 months. Very little chance at preventing any deaths in any outbreak - they are bound to happen. The question is how much it can be mitigated.

They failed at the initial response. Our system basically makes it impossible for it to continue failing.

Congress, scientists and states are forcing the issue now.

I mean it was just weeks ago donny said he wanted that cruise kept offshore so "the numbers didn't double".

Obviously he's been forced into reacting differently now.

63 Deaths to date. 696 new cases detected today.

Capture+_2020-03-15-15-40-27.png

Plus you can't eat a shotgun. A 100lb dog would go a long way.

Not to mention the survivability rate in Korea might point to it as a 'healthy' menu choice. :rolleyes:

I wouldn't advise it but if people are going bat-**** crazy...

Is It Safe to Eat at Restaurants During the Coronavirus Pandemic?

I’m living in a hotel in Arlington, VA, been here for a month and will be here at least another month. prior to that I was in Vegas ( staying at the Paris) for 2 weeks. Luckily I have a kitchenette, but I still have my buffet breakfast every morning, and go out and eat at least 4-5 nights a week.

So I can be your case study.

I’m living in a hotel in Arlington, VA, been here for a month and will be here at least another month. prior to that I was in Vegas ( staying at the Paris) for 2 weeks. Luckily I have a kitchenette, but I still have my buffet breakfast every morning, and go out and eat at least 4-5 nights a week.

So I can be your case study.
Stay safe dude.

63 Deaths to date. 696 new cases detected today.

View attachment 26333

I can only assume that you are also for removing the 40 million illegal aliens most of whom have entered without ever being screened for any diseases, lack vaccinations.

Why can't we ever get a virus that alcohol would kill?

Imagine a president going on tv, "ok everyone get drunk for a week."

Why can't we ever get a virus that alcohol would kill?

Imagine a president going on tv, "ok everyone get drunk for a week."
Just drink a ****load of red wine like me and you'll be fine

Am I naive thinking that test kits will only reduce some of the hysteria, regardless of how many positive cases come up? To me, the concern right is simply not knowing who has it, or if someone can go hug parents/grandparents without legitimately endangering their lives. Even if testing reveals that a million people have it, then those people can quarantine and we should be able to largely mitigate the spread from there?
Hysteria implies an overreaction.*** Edit- I think now I understand you to mean overreaction by the general population not the govt. The rest of this post assumes you mean overreaction by our government.

If you look at the countries with the most proactive responses, you can note, they have also dealt with SARS and have learned from the past events so their current measures will be more successful. To them, it’s another one of those. To us, it a brand new ballgame. They realized early containment was critical. We have allowed much randomized mixing without any measures to quantify where it is or isn’t. Here is an article that presents data from many cases regarding spread and detection over time. It’s a 30 minute read but should be very digestible.

Last edited:
I can only assume that you are also for removing the 40 million illegal aliens most of whom have entered without ever being screened for any diseases, lack vaccinations.

I have no idea who or how many have been tested. The test kits have just started rolling out. So I expect to see more spikes.

Hopefully we'll get a better picture of where we are in a few weeks.

65 deaths in USA from corona

18,000 from influenza

What am I missing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes