PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Coronavirus RESPECTFUL Discussion Only! (Mod edit: Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, it's just a little bit more money...no big deal. We can always print more, right? :rolleyes:
Now you are worried about money? All that spending on defense and the trillion dollars added to the debt with the tax cuts...that's cool....but spend money to help working people...oh no, cannot have that.

Now you are worried about money? All that spending on defense and the trillion dollars added to the debt with the tax cuts...that's cool....but spend money to help working people...oh no, cannot have that.

Do you understand basic economics? Printing more money leads to massive inflation. Each dollar becomes worthless.

Trump just pwned Andrew Cuomo lol. Cuomo had the opportunity buy 16K ventilators for a cheap price in 2016 and turned it down.

pwned? I get it now, you're 12.

States don't typical stockpile. They haven't the budgets or the resources, and health care in
the USA is mostly private.

This is why we have this organization called FEMA.

It's also why we have the Defense Production Act, which I believe was finally used just today for a paltry 66.000 tests. Trump said he wouldn't use it to let the market settle pricing (that's a close paraphrase), which is why Governors like Charlie Baker were getting outbid by the Feds for supplies and also why the equipment wasn't being surged specifically to areas most in need.

He pulled a reverse FDR here.

Don't forget the $14 trillion we threw away on Afghanistan, Iraq, and countless proxy wars in the Middle East, over the last 20 years.

The concepts in that article were tried in the UK. Boris abandoned them just yesterday calling for police to enforce gatherings greater than 2 people! That's right, 2 people!

In addition, that concept requires a ton of testing data for it to work. Testing to this day is anemic. There simply aren't enough tests to make it work.
I agree we can’t try this until we can all get tested every week. Otherwise it won’t work.

But if we can get to that point, I think it’s the way to go

I think the paragraph below is important to understand. In most young & healthy people, the virus dies within a day or two.

“The data from South Korea, where tracking the coronavirus has been by far the best to date, indicate that as much as 99 percent of active cases in the general population are “mild” and do not require specific medical treatment. The small percentage of cases that do require such services are highly concentrated among those age 60 and older, and further so the older people are. Other things being equal, those over age 70 appear at three times the mortality risk as those age 60 to 69, and those over age 80 at nearly twice the mortality risk of those age 70 to 79.”

I think there are 2 important comments here.

If the Feds only have 12K in stockpile why would it be sensible for the state of NY to stockpile 16K?

Second, why didn't Obama add those ventilators to the federal stockpile?

First, it wouldn't.

Second, why would he? If you expect the government to anticipate and pay for every possible emergency, your tax rate would explode. note: I'm not criticizing Trump for not stocking them, either. You don't need to.

What you need to do is identify and isolate, fast-track testing, testing, and more testing, and use the goddanged Defense Production Act, which has been around since the Korean War to put needed industries into overdrive in meeting the crisis.

Musk showed up in LA yesterday with 1000 ventilators he purchased in China. He already said he's ready to convert his plant into production however needed - but a public company cannot do that without direction, as they have legal responsibilities to the shareholders.

Hand sanitizer? The Budweiser plant out here is converting 25% of its production to hand sanitizer.

A huge part of the economic pain is a result of failure to act, not anything that happened 4 years ago.

Do you understand basic economics? Printing more money leads to massive inflation. Each dollar becomes worthless.
Where have you and the so called fiscal Republicans been the past several decades? You haven’t had too much of an issue printing money like it is growing off trees and spending outrageous sums on interests that are important to the Republican Party. I can at least have some respect for fiscal conservatives who have been consistent but not the broader party.

Only now when it is needed most in a global pandemic that is posing the risk of collapsing our medical institutions and infecting and killing countless people do you stand up and scream about fiscal conservatism. Interesting.

I agree we can’t try this until we can all get tested every week. Otherwise it won’t work.

But if we can get to that point, I think it’s the way to go

I think the paragraph below is important to understand. In most young & healthy people, the virus dies within a day or two.

“The data from South Korea, where tracking the coronavirus has been by far the best to date, indicate that as much as 99 percent of active cases in the general population are “mild” and do not require specific medical treatment. The small percentage of cases that do require such services are highly concentrated among those age 60 and older, and further so the older people are. Other things being equal, those over age 70 appear at three times the mortality risk as those age 60 to 69, and those over age 80 at nearly twice the mortality risk of those age 70 to 79.”

I agree with you 100%. It's working in SK.

ps. The reason some people here are sick of hearing about South Korea is the same reason Jets fans are sick of watching the Patriots in January and February.

If I go into the political forum and scroll back a couple of years, will I see some of the same hair-on-fire posts from you about inflation during the passage of a bill to give money to corporations and the wealthy (mostly) at the cost of the US government borrowing an estimated 1.7-1.9 trillion $$$?

President Trump says he wants the “country opened” by Easter, despite warnings from public health experts about coronavirus outbreak, the Washington Post reports.

“Trump said during a Fox News interview that he is worried that federal guidelines for social distancing, including the closure of some businesses, and other steps to mitigate the outbreak could go too far, despite warnings from public health experts that the restrictions may need to stay in place for weeks.”

Ok, but why Easter?

If I go into the political forum and scroll back a couple of years, will I see some of the same hair-on-fire posts from you about inflation during the passage of a bill to give money to corporations and the wealthy (mostly) at the cost of the US government borrowing an estimated 1.7-1.9 trillion $$$?

I don't think I even posted very often on the political forum, but ya, go knock yourself out.

I agree with you 100%. It's working in SK.

ps. The reason some people here are sick of hearing about South Korea is the same reason Jets fans are sick of watching the Patriots in January and February.
Yes. We need to give "The Hammer and the Dance" a try and not pivot to the lunatic strategy that the UK just hastily abandoned.

There are people who regard Easter as important. Maybe not in the communist community...the President hopes to give people an opportunity for families to get together.

Ah, so it's completely arbitrary. That's what I assumed but kind of you to confirm.

There are people who regard Easter as important. Maybe not in the communist community...the President hopes to give people an opportunity for families to get together.
Only a fool would visit their relatives for easter. Killing grandma is not cool

Lamont says schools likely closed until the fall
I do have an issue with how some of these SDs and teachers are still engaging with the kids.

For example, Some SDs aren't doing a ****ing thing. As far as they are concerned, school year is over. My niece and nephew fall in to that category. That does not bode well for them next fall when they go back and are in the next grade as they will be behind.

My kid's SD has teachers who are still teaching, doing periodic Zoom sessions, distributing HW, still getting quizzes and tests, etc. I.E. they are still learning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/8: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 5/7: News and Notes
What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Back