PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

College VIDEO on Mac - the potential is clearly there - it’s frustrating

Waddle was out the majority of the year but the point remains
Again, same story. Mac's not Brady. Any young kid is going to need more explosive talent around him in the NFL and even the top QBs around the league - and within this division - have it.

Have you seen the list of potential FA WRs? It's not pretty.

He's not a #1 but Greg Dortch looks like he has a lot of potential.
Allen Lazard has good size and could be ready to take off somewhere other than Green Bay.

There's not much to pick from.
I would trade for DeAndre Hopkins or possibly Tee Higgins (who might be had since the Bengals might have trouble paying him because he will want #1 WR money). Hopkins is more realistic and Belichick loves the guy. He is a true #1 WR.

I may let Meyers go because he may command more than he is worth on the open market because the WR free agent class sucks. If they can get him at the right price, keep him. But he isn't worth even average #1 WR money. He is a #2 WR.

Agholor is definitely gone.

I give Parker one more year. Parker counts $6.3 million against the cap and he can be a difference maker on the field. Just not consistently. As a #2 or #3 WR, he could be an excellent piece of the pie.

Obviously if Bourne is actually used correctly, he is an excellent #2 WR assuming you have a true #1.

I haven't given up on Thornton, but the guy needs to be coached better. He seems to lack the fundamentals which I think has a lot to do with the coaching debacle. If O'Brien or another experience OC comes in, I think they can coach him up better.
Sounds familiar. Rob I hope you're learning something reading my post.

I wish Mac would do well so, in that, I'm pro-Mac. Unfortunately, I'm also pro-reality so, for that reason, I'm out on Mac.

How many games with multiple OC's do you need to realize he's just not it? Sure, we could have a deeper conversation (and if these pro-Mac threads are any indication, this discussion will occupy the offseason) about personnel, coaching, and DC's realizing he's a one trick pony so they are pressing and taking away his first option, but we will end up in the same place. The majority of people do not believe in Mac Jones. The other people will submit 5 clips out of 521 passes as evidence that certain aspects that are clear to everyone else aren't real. That isn't exactly thoughtful or intelligent either, but everyone deserves a voice so have at it.
Well, so far we’ve seen him play with one OC (McDaniels) and Matt Patricia. Personally, I consider this a wasted season thanks to BB’s staffing decisions, so I’m not ready to definitively declare that Mac is not the guy.

He was inconsistent, verging on adequate. Not good enough, but there HAS to be the caveat that his head coach has failed - utterly - to give him a fair shot this year. I suspect he's better than Zappe, but I also suspect he'll never be more than so-so, and there's no way to know on either score. We have wasted a year vis-a-vis finding out. That is Bill's fault, and it's a pretty significant failing on his part. If Bill is really as tough-minded as he purports to be, he would admit that. We need to get a better look next year. I 'd like to get that look in the context of a genuine competition for the job with Zappe, and with whatever vet project they might care to check out.

I would trade for DeAndre Hopkins or possibly Tee Higgins (who might be had since the Bengals might have trouble paying him because he will want #1 WR money). Hopkins is more realistic and Belichick loves the guy. He is a true #1 WR.
If we're dreaming of Bill O'Brien replacing Patricia then you probably can forget DeAndre Hopkins. I don't think either one of them want to deal with the other ever again. Hopkins has a little bit of off-field Antonio Brown in him too so I'm not so sure he's a good fit for the NEP organization. Hopkins also will be on the wrong side of 30 next season.

But Tee Higgins, now you've got my attention. He's young (only 23), tall, physical, mega-talented, and WR1 ready. He sounds too good to be true for the Patriots.

I may let Meyers go because he may command more than he is worth on the open market because the WR free agent class sucks. If they can get him at the right price, keep him. But he isn't worth even average #1 WR money. He is a #2 WR.
************ we have such a hard time finding new WRs who actually work out that letting Meyers walk would be really discouraging. He's not a true #1 but he has a decent connection with Mac (assuming he's the guy moving forward) and he's the team's steadiest, most reliable receiver currently. I want to keep Meyers and Bourne as the WR2 and WR3 (whichever order) and add a legit WR1... that's a nice start atop a WR depth chart.

I give Parker one more year. Parker counts $6.3 million against the cap and he can be a difference maker on the field. Just not consistently. As a #2 or #3 WR, he could be an excellent piece of the pie.
Parker was brought in as the potential WR1 but I think he's proven not to be that. However, he's got decent size and skills that I wouldn't be in a hurry to get rid of him. He again would be a nice compliment to a WR group that otherwise has a legit WR1.

I haven't given up on Thornton, but the guy needs to be coached better. He seems to lack the fundamentals which I think has a lot to do with the coaching debacle. If O'Brien or another experience OC comes in, I think they can coach him up better.
Thornton is not showing a lot of promise. You can't give up on him yet but I'm certainly not looking at him as any type of given moving forward.

If we're dreaming of Bill O'Brien replacing Patricia then you probably can forget DeAndre Hopkins.
That's - unfortunately - a good point.

The sphincter clenching anger displayed here is off the charts.

Unclench, my friend. Unclench and let that thing loose. You'll live a longer life.
Agree, though the imagery is a teense cringeworthy. Medically, of course, your post is unassailable.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bedard agrees with Morse

Reactions: Ian
Not much. I tend to think for myself.
Sure. Must be a coincidence after I've been bringing him up lately as someone to trade for.

Anyway Higgins has never been targeted more than 110 times and produces 1k. Outside threat we need. HWS we like.

Someone like him. Pittman, Aiyuk, Terry or even Lamb.

This team needs a true X and slot that can get open without scheme.

I hope everyone follows your lead and starts pumping my ideas. First time in a while you sound like you know what you're talking about.

Sure. Must be a coincidence after I've been bringing him up lately as someone to trade for.

Anyway Higgins has never been targeted more than 110 times and produces 1k. Outside threat we need. HWS we like.

Someone like him. Pittman, Aiyuk, Terry or even Lamb.

This team needs a true X and slot that can get open without scheme.

I hope everyone follows your lead and starts pumping my ideas. First time in a while you sound like you know what you're talking about.

Psst! The Patriots just played the Bengals. And he just had 128 yards and a TD against the Patriots. Higgins is top of mind. And he is going into his final year of his rookie deal, will want good #1 money, and the Bengals probably cannot afford both him and Chase who will likely need a new deal after next season. You didn't exactly make some kind of great revelation.

And the Pats played the Cardinals two weeks ago and the talk post game was all about how Hopkins is a trade target this offseason.

Sorry I didn't even read your post. Get over yourself. If I take an idea from someone else, I usually at least include something like "As someone else in this thread pointed out" or something like that.

But Brady isn't bringing up the talent level of the players around him either this year. He's got some good talent at WR and they are playing down a level or six.
He's remarkably ancient at 45 so not surprising as this decline should have happened a good 8 years ago. I mean look at Matt Ryan and Russell Wilson, both clearly washed in their 30s.

He's remarkably ancient at 45 so not surprising as this decline should have happened a good 8 years ago. I mean look at Matt Ryan and Russell Wilson, both clearly washed in their 30s.
My god, what about Nick Foles last night? He looked like he hadn't stepped on a football field before.

Nope, check the 2006, 2009, and the 2019 seasons. Brady couldn’t elevate the guys around him.

Hell, even check out Brady in Tampa right now…no consistency on the OL…but not taking sacks like Mac because he is getting rid of the ball faster than any other QB in the league…and also threw two picks on Sunday.

Don’t get me wrong…the man is the best there ever was and ever will be…but he needed players just like any other QB.

Mac might need more “support”, but he is a far cry from how Bledsoe was. Let’s for a minute ASSUME that Mac had:

-No missed games to injury.
-A healthy OL all season.
-Bourne being given more reps.
-Parker not being knocked out.
-Damien Harris available for every game to share the load with Rham.
-No Meyers lateral play.
-A Dugger ST holding call.
-No Rham fumble.

I seriously believe this team would be 9-6 right now at worst……
Totally disagree on bolded.

They were a play or two away from getting to the Super Bowl with not much at receiver. An absolute layup win awaited them in the Super Bowl had they beat Indy. This was the first big example of Brady making guys better than they were.

They went 12-4 in 2019. Brady left the field with the lead. Defense gave it up to Fitzpatrick.

Yeah another Mac Jones excuses thread

To be honest the Mac I see in the highlights looks like the same Mac I see on the Patriots.

Notice how in his highlights that most of his throws are soft air balls? That can work in college, but in the pro’s where the defenders are much faster, it doesn’t work.

To be honest the Mac I see in the highlights looks like the same Mac I see on the Patriots.

Notice how in his highlights that most of his throws are soft air balls? That can work in college, but in the pro’s where the defenders are much faster, it doesn’t work.
Lobs on the deep balls, I guess you can say that. But his arm so far in his second year in the NFL has been better:

20 "Air Yards":
full

Again, the idea was to have something other than a "he sucks" thread and try and realize that the days of having NFL royalty under center are over. We're going to be stuck with average to good for a while and how can we get the most out of what we have until he either improves or someone comes along or evolves enough to unseat him.

I agree that I have gone overboard in my defense of Jones at times (or possibly more than times), but the haters cannot see they do the same thing I do. Part of my aggressive defense is due to my debating style.

But yes, for any accusation one side levels at the other, it is likely that side is just engaging in projection.
Thank goodness, I was close to bringing out the pg-13 gay meme again of you getting on your knees for Mac.

Well, so far we’ve seen him play with one OC (McDaniels) and Matt Patricia. Personally, I consider this a wasted season thanks to BB’s staffing decisions, so I’m not ready to definitively declare that Mac is not the guy.
A spicy hot take.

Thank goodness, I was close to bringing out the pg-13 gay meme again of you getting on your knees for Mac.

Are you willing to admit the same that you have gone too far trashing Mac Jones at times or are living in a world of epic delusion?

His pocket movement and awareness was great for a rookie last year. All the non-biased experts I have seen have said as much. You haters just want to rewrite history. He was very good in the pocket last year. There is video evidence of his skills in the pocket last year and it isn't what you say. Here is video proof of Jones in complete command of the pocket last year. But I am sure you will say I am wrong because you feel that he sucked in the pocket last year.

Yes, he struggled with the blitz, but most rookies do. Who knows if that was going to be something that was going to be corrected with proper coaching.

And as Kurt Warner called it, Jones' superpower last year was his ability to process information quickly post snap and go through his progressions. That is a weakness this year too.

It was not great, he constantly put his oline in jeopardy. Go back and watch the film, rather than grabbing 3 examples of ok pocket movement you found on the internet. He would step into pressure and make his oline change angles of blocking that were next to impossible. He's doing the same thing this year

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back