PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

College VIDEO on Mac - the potential is clearly there - it’s frustrating

Ian

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Reaction score
Just looking at his college highlights tonight comparing them to last year and what we've seen this season. I still feel like after watching both of these, we haven't seen his best yet. There's one play on the "National Championship highlights” where he looks right and comes all the way back to his left and makes a great throw:

Along with some things we haven't seen from him this year. Just a reminder that with a decent coordinator behind a good offensive line with some solid targets (that Alabama team was pretty stacked), he can get it done. Whether or not that ultimately can happen here is obviously the question. But after a solid rookie season, watching this is definitely frustrating. Unlike some of the others, the kid played in the SEC against solid competition. So it's not like he played against pushover teams.

Next year will obviously be a critical one for him ... but if it doesn't work out, it would definitely be irritating to see him potentially being this player again somewhere else. Watching some of the film breakdowns today of Sunday's game, definitely have to wonder what they'd be like with someone more competent handling the offense.

Last edited:
Just looking at his college highlights tonight comparing them to last year and what we've seen this season. I still feel like after watching both of these, we haven't seen his best yet. There's one play on the "top 10 highlights" where he looks right and comes all the way back to his left and makes a great throw:

Along with some things we haven't seen from him this year. Just a reminder that with a decent coordinator behind a good offensive line with some solid targets (that Alabama team was pretty stacked), he can get it done. Whether or not that ultimately can happen here is obviously the question. But after a solid rookie season, watching this is definitely frustrating. Unlike some of the others, the kid played in the SEC against solid competition. So it's not like he played against pushover teams.

Next year will obviously be a critical one for him ... but if it doesn't work out, it would definitely be irritating to see him potentially being this player again somewhere else. Watching some of the film breakdowns today of Sunday's game, definitely have to wonder what they'd be like with someone more competent handling the offense.

Your last paragraph is the biggest issue I have. I think the coaching on offense is particularly bad and is kneecapping everyone so I can't make a great evaluation on Mac. Last year he had a leash, this year he has an albatross. He might never be that guy, but these two years make that assessment hard and there is now the possibility that we have to make a decision without actually knowing what we have and he could go to a team like the Jets or Raiders and all of a sudden be serviceable and then we have the double hit of having to see him help another team and knowing we are stuck with the coaches that blew it.

Again if his offensive line and receivers are miles better then the defense they are playing, he can put up video game numbers.
When the competition is of equal grade or god forbid greater than his staff he folds like a laundromat.
Brady had the magic of raising the level of the players around him Mac has shown the opposite.

Your last paragraph is the biggest issue I have. I think the coaching on offense is particularly bad and is kneecapping everyone so I can't make a great evaluation on Mac. Last year he had a leash, this year he has an albatross.
I think you summed it up far more eloquently than I could have. Watching the footage, there are things he did there that we're not seeing, and I've watched footage of last year and came away with a similar feeling but hadn't looked at his college stuff in a while. It's just bizarre.

Brady had the magic of raising the level of the players around him Mac has shown the opposite.
Brady was Brady, can't compare the GOAT to a second-year player. That being said, he also had Charlie Weis as a first, second, and third-year player (and fourth), who developed some pretty good QBs in college as well. And as I've said a few times, Brady would probably lose his mind right now if he was still here.

LOL, completely different situation. Mac played against tougher competition. I never really liked Wilson and couldn't understand why the Jets were so stuck on him.

And I can't think of too many players in recent years who turned out to be good players coming out of BYU. I know they had Steve Young and some other big names back in the day, but I don't know of many others, aside from Taysom Hill, and he's obviously had an inconsistent start to his career:

Last edited:
Brady was Brady, can't compare the GOAT to a second-year player. That being said, he also had Charlie Weis as a first, second, and third-year player (and fourth), who developed some pretty good QBs in college as well. And as I've said a few times, Brady would probably lose his mind right now if he was still here.
I can agree with all this.
However Tom had more arm talent and from day 1 had a take a charge attitude and according to Weis never made the same mistake twice.
And saw things that even him Charlie and Bill missed on tape.

Damn I miss Tom.
Not to mention Tom had the heart of a lion.
I can’t imagine that Bill isn’t working with Mac on the fundamentals and basic down and distance situations as well as patience In the pocket.
Simple things such as throwing passes away Vs taking a sack, looking off the defender or manipulating the safety isn’t what we are seeing.

I have trouble believing that this isn’t being taught in a proper way.
So you’re telling me that Bill O Brein is going to go over these basic skills and are current staff can’t teach this.
I can buy O brein can create better designs and formations and unlock Harry and Smith.

LOL, completely different situation. Mac played against tougher competition.
alabama's offense line, najee harris and devonta smith open by a mile helped jones a lot. he had a lot of easy throws
secondly you can see this year that jones wasn't able to improve his issues which are unrelated to coaching,
I never really liked Wilson and couldn't understand why the Jets were so stuck on him.

You can look at highlights from last year and see the potential was there. Again, much of what is his weaknesses this year were strengths last year.

Who knows if he will ever pan out, but we have seen enough from college and last year to believe he needs another shot with a real OC to see if he can reach his potential. It isn't a Zach Wilson thing where Wilson has never shown that he can ever properly run an NFL offense unless the team minimizes him completely.

Again if his offensive line and receivers are miles better then the defense they are playing, he can put up video game numbers.
When the competition is of equal grade or god forbid greater than his staff he folds like a laundromat.

Stop comparing Mac Jones to Tom Brady. Brady is the greatest of all time and it is unfair to compare any QB to him other than elites of the NFL.

The fact is a majority QBs cannot elevate the players around them. Only the elite QBs do that. If you look at most of the successful QBs in the league, they have good to great talent around them. But Brady isn't bringing up the talent level of the players around him either this year. He's got some good talent at WR and they are playing down a level or six.

And I would disagree that Jones brings down the talent level of the players around him. That is just silly.

And when players around a QB do not perform, sometimes it is because they just aren't performing. It has nothing to do with the QB. Other times it is the coaching staff that put them in impossible situations. Again, not on the QB.

You can look at highlights from last year and see the potential was there. Again, much of what is his weaknesses this year were strengths last year.

Who knows if he will ever pan out, but we have seen enough from college and last year to believe he needs another shot with a real OC to see if he can reach his potential. It isn't a Zach Wilson thing where Wilson has never shown that he can ever properly run an NFL offense unless the team minimizes him completely.
Lol, his weaknesses are the same this year as last year. His pocket movement and awareness isn't great, both years, his accuracy goes way down if he's off platform at all, he doesn't see the blitz or can adjust protection well, his pocket movements are erratic, causing angle changes that really make his olines job much harder. I can go on, but you'll just come back with something that's completely wrong

I never really liked Wilson and couldn't understand why the Jets were so stuck on him.

Because J-E-T-S, Jets, Jets, Jets!

• Ha Ha
Reactions: Ian
I think the coaching on offense is particularly bad and is kneecapping everyone so I can't make a great evaluation on Mac. Last year he had a leash, this year he has an albatross.
75lw8a.gif

Just looking at his college highlights tonight comparing them to last year and what we've seen this season. I still feel like after watching both of these, we haven't seen his best yet. There's one play on the "National Championship highlights” where he looks right and comes all the way back to his left and makes a great throw:

One tiny moan on an otherwise very good post; Jones had a very good, QB friendly, OC (Sarkisian) at Alabama and he helped to teach the new OC (BOB) the Alabama offense as he was leaving.

In the Bama vs OSU video virtually every play has the Bama player wide open.

The NFL is not that way unless its a broken coverage.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back