PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

College VIDEO on Mac - the potential is clearly there - it’s frustrating

Lol, his weaknesses are the same this year as last year. His pocket movement and awareness isn't great, both years, his accuracy goes way down if he's off platform at all, he doesn't see the blitz or can adjust protection well, his pocket movements are erratic, causing angle changes that really make his olines job much harder. I can go on, but you'll just come back with something that's completely wrong

His pocket movement and awareness was great for a rookie last year. All the non-biased experts I have seen have said as much. You haters just want to rewrite history. He was very good in the pocket last year. There is video evidence of his skills in the pocket last year and it isn't what you say. Here is video proof of Jones in complete command of the pocket last year. But I am sure you will say I am wrong because you feel that he sucked in the pocket last year.

Yes, he struggled with the blitz, but most rookies do. Who knows if that was going to be something that was going to be corrected with proper coaching.

And as Kurt Warner called it, Jones' superpower last year was his ability to process information quickly post snap and go through his progressions. That is a weakness this year too.

If we listened to you Mac Haters, the guy who was almost OROY last year was a complete disaster. Feel free to post video of all the plays he was awful in the pocket last year.

Last edited:
Look at Ian and Rob in their element in this thread, trying to get the troops to believe what we are seeing isn't real. Ian using the theme I knew the homers would use by saying that Mac is going to have 3 different OC's in 3 years and Rob pretending that a handful of plays over the course of an entire season prove something.

Prime offseason BS coming at you from two of the biggest Mac homers on this board, all we need is Ashley to jump in. This is going to be a long offseason, folks. Buckle up.

Again if his offensive line and receivers are miles better then the defense they are playing, he can put up video game numbers.
When the competition is of equal grade or god forbid greater than his staff he folds like a laundromat.
Brady had the magic of raising the level of the players around him Mac has shown the opposite.
This is the point. It's not to say you can ignore everything from college but come on, he had two first round WR's and an elite OL. Brady isn't walking through that door and he isn't the bar, but Mac is bottom 5 in the NFL. I cant wait to see the 5 good plays Mac made this year on repeat pretending that means there is potential.

At least we know how to fix Mac now.

Just load up so we have the best OL in the league, best WR's in th league, and best RB's in the league around him.

Pretty simple solution.

Just load up so we have the best OL in the league, best WR's in th league, and best RB's in the league around him.

Pretty simple solution.
You forgot best coaching too

This is the point. It's not to say you can ignore everything from college but come on, he had two first round WR's and an elite OL. Brady isn't walking through that door and he isn't the bar, but Mac is bottom 5 in the NFL. I cant wait to see the 5 good plays Mac made this year on repeat pretending that means there is potential.
I think it needs to be a open competition next season regardless who is brought in to Coach him,
If you don’t swing for the fences and get a Lamar Jackson.
Then I think you need to have a competition with Mac, Bailey and a mid round pick,
I would say drafting a QB in the second or third is not to early, if you believe you can improve.

I think it needs to be a open competition next season regardless who is brought in to Coach him,
If you don’t swing for the fences and get a Lamar Jackson.
Then I think you need to have a competition with Mac, Bailey and a mid round pick,
I would say drafting a QB in the second or third is not to early, if you believe you can improve.
Nor would that be unprecedented with Mallett, Jimmy G, Jacoby, etc all being picked in those rounds with a much more superior QB.

The ridiculous coaching situation has completely wasted a pivotal year in Mac's development.
This is on our HC.

Pretty simple solution.
Then he will play at a top 28 level.
This was my concern and why I was against drafting him and especially trading up for him. I saw no special traits on tape.
I continue to see a Jag where we could of gotten similar if not better results from a low priority free agent or a trade for a vet on a bench elsewhere.

The most outlandish part of this thread isn't that Alabama had superior weapons or protection but the idea that Mac has regressed due to coaching. These people completely ignore that Mac was dog **** for the last 5 games of last season with the same coach as the highlights Rob provided from the early part of the season. Maybe teams just figured out his tendencies?

1672154036832.png

Look at Ian and Rob in their element in this thread, trying to get the troops to believe what we are seeing isn't real. Ian using the theme I knew the homers would use by saying that Mac is going to have 3 different OC's in 3 years and Rob pretending that a handful of plays over the course of an entire season prove something.

Prime offseason BS coming at you from two of the biggest Mac homers on this board, all we need is Ashley to jump in. This is going to be a long offseason, folks. Buckle up.

I am a Mac Homer too, but I agree with most all of the posts. I think Mac was OK in the pocket last year, and awful this year. I think Mac can diagnose and read the defenses and process quickly. Mac is accurate too. So what is happening? Commonly people blame Patricia - somewhat true.

But I think the major issue is maturity. If Mac is immature we would see it everywhere, which we do. 1. Overreacting to an ankle sprain to get attention 2. Making cheap fouls on other players to express frustration 3. Snipping and yelling at coaches to deflect blame 4. Last year BB pulling on Mac's arm after a bad game to quickly encourage Mac. Signs of Mac's maturity problems are everywhere, even at Alabama Saban sat him for 3 years before starting him as a senior. Why does Mac kick other players? Cry on the field like he broke his leg? Have temper tantrums with coaches? His emotional issues lead to his panicking in the pocket, stress under pressure, happy feet that lead to bad technique, and on and on.

Mac has all the physical tools and intelligence to play the position, but he is still acting out like a child. The good news is he was better the last few games, not great but better, and if Mac can "turn the maturity corner" he will be a good to great NFL QB. Very smart intelligent people can be emotional basket cases.

No the facts prove something. If Jones was so awful in the pocket last year, why was he second in OROY voting? Why did he make the Pro Bowl? If he was horrible in the pocket last year like this year, there would be no way he would even be considered for either.

I get not liking Mac Jones. What I don't get from you guys is why you need to rewrite history to prove your point. It is alternative facts that Jones struggled in the pocket last year like this year. It just didn't happen.

Why did he make the Pro Bowl?
I don’t know, maybe because all the QB that should’ve went to the pro bowl couldn’t or wouldn’t go? He didn’t make the pro bowl he was invited because they didn’t have enough QB. I guess it was still better to have Mac than Zach Wilson.

Do you realized that Tyler Huntley has been selected to the pro bowl as an alternate this year like Mac was last year? Does that make Huntley a pro bowler?

You guys don't want to hear from me. Let the experts talk about Mac Jones' pocket presence from last year:

Todd McShay:

ESPN NFL Draft expert Todd McShay ranked Jones as the fifth-best quarterback prospect ahead of the 2021 draft. McShay cited Jones’s pocket presence and “high-level ball placement” on shorter throws as pluses for the then-prospect, but was also concerned about Jones’s inability to connect on deeper passes.

A year later, McShay believes Jones was arguably the best quarterback from his draft class in his rookie season. He still liked Jones’s pocket presence and movement in the pocket, as well as his ability to get rid of the ball quickly (Jones’s 2.71 seconds before throwing the ball was the ninth-best in the league, per McShay).

An unnamed AFC Defensive Coach:

The coach added that he "loves" Jones' pocket presence, and that the second-year quarterback "feels the game and sees the game as well as any young QB."

Unfortunately NFL is full of busts that had great potential. Pats have been lucky before at qb. And honestly the coaching this year has been jets level

I don’t know, maybe because all the QB that should’ve went to the pro bowl couldn’t or wouldn’t go? He didn’t make the pro bowl he was invited because they didn’t have enough QB. I guess it was still better to have Mac than Zach Wilson.

Do you realized that Tyler Huntley has been selected to the pro bowl as an alternate this year like Mac was last year? Does that make Huntley a pro bowler?

Ok, why was he second in OROY voting?

But Huntley is some kind of fluke that no one seems to know why. Huntley's selection is a major head scratcher because he was selected over Tua and Justin Herbert. No one was questioning Mac Jones' selection. It's not the same thing.

No the facts prove something. If Jones was so awful in the pocket last year, why was he second in OROY voting? Why did he make the Pro Bowl? If he was horrible in the pocket last year like this year, there would be no way he would even be considered for either.

I get not liking Mac Jones. What I don't get from you guys is why you need to rewrite history to prove your point. It is alternative facts that Jones struggled in the pocket last year like this year. It just didn't happen.
You took 5 clips to prove that Mac had awareness last year, calm down with the rewriting history point.

Awards don't mean nothing but they don't mean much, especially the QB pro bowl where he was an alternate. Are you going to ignore the last 5 games of the year (note 5 games, not 5 of his best plays)? Maybe DC's were on to something? Just maybe?

From where I sit you’re just the other side of the coin. We have Mac homers and we have the anti-Mac contingent, of which you’re definitely a part. It’s not any more intelligent or thoughtful of a position that you’ve staked out.

It’s very simple using the last 20 games as a reference point
Would you draft Mac Jones in the first round?
What about the second?
Where do you have him ranked based on the last 20 games?
Would you change anything about what we have done with the QB position?

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back