PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Cole Strange ... Sell me on him moving to Tackle

Both Light & Strange69 measured slightly more than 6'4-1/2", though Light weighed about a half-dozen pounds more.

Strange is more athletic than Light was, no doubt about that.
Light was a standout tackle in college at Purdue, Strange was a guard playing against guys now selling insurance!

Both Light & Strange69 measured slightly more than 6'4-1/2", though Light weighed about a half-dozen pounds more.

Strange is more athletic than Light was, no doubt about that.

Six pounds is virtually the same. But I stand corrected on the height. Not sure where I got the height mistake from.

But this makes Strange a more athletic Matt Light clone.

SOLD!

Cole Strange weighs similar to Matt Light's playing weight, and he is 3 inches taller. And more athletic.

I only post this as an attempt at selling the theory above. No idea if it is a good idea or not.
Everyone though Light was going to be moved to G also.

Strange is too light in ass to play guard. Bill took two G's and a C in the draft, so it wouldn't shock me if Strange ends up lining up at LT during camp as we can't assume Reiff sticks (as he shouldn't). Trent Brown is another guy that should've been shown the door as he was awful last season.

O-line should've been a higher priority this offseason to put Mac in the best position to succeed. This O-line group is worse than last year and among the worst since Bill took over.

Last edited:
Everyone though Light was going to be moved to G also.
For years I promoted moving Light to LG. He was a good LT, but I always thought he'd be an all pro LG. Those were back in the days where our interior OL was always changing every 2 or 3 years.

He won't.

Not that he couldn't, but he's better suited to guard.

They have Trent Brown, Riley Reiff, Calvin Anderson, Sidy Sow, Conor McDermott, Andrew Stueber, Chasen Hines and Mike Onwenu could slide to RT in a pinch... how many tackles do they need?

I swear I've never seen so much handwringing over a single line position that was otherwise well manned. I don't buy PFF player grades at all, but Calvin Anderson took over as the Broncos' full time left tackle halfway through last season, finished with the 52nd highest Pro Football Focus grade among all tackles, has drawn just one penalty in almost 750 career snaps and only allowed two sacks. If Reiff can't stay healthy, Anderson could man that RT spot and thrive. Those are your tackles assuming health, and they could play good to great if healthy.

Last edited:
Strange happenings going on down in Foxborough.

bill-and-ted-strange-things-are-afoot-at-the-circle-k.gif

For years I promoted moving Light to LG. He was a good LT, but I always thought he'd be an all pro LG. Those were back in the days where our interior OL was always changing every 2 or 3 years.
Dante made a lot of players a lot of money. I mean, we picked up Donald Thomas; he was fantastic in just one year; the best year of his career. He was moving people. He left on a 4 year contract at good money and he went back to being a JAG.

Strange is very fast and very strong. I think he fits in the mold of some of our past very good tackles from the past. Plus some of the self proclaimed expert posters on the site think guards are a waste of time, can be found any where and are pretty much worthless. Since he was a high round draft pick they think the only way he can be valuable is to move to tackle.
I'm 100% sure I heard BB once say something about only LTs being the o-line position worth a really high pick. His track record is in line with that as he's proven to be fine with guards in the late first (Mankins, Strange) but picks tackles earlier (Wynn, Solder).

Cole Strange’s athletic testing was off the charts, and since he has the size and length needed that would make him an ideal candidate to move to tackle. If Belichick and Klein think it’s the right move I’m all for it, especially since they loaded up at Guard in the draft.

Light was a standout tackle in college at Purdue, Strange was a guard playing against guys now selling insurance!
Yep; if he wasn't good enough to start at Left Tackle for his rinky-dink Podunk U team, then why in the world should we expect him to be the starter at that position here? Makes no sense.

Six pounds is virtually the same. But I stand corrected on the height. Not sure where I got the height mistake from.

But this makes Strange a more athletic Matt Light clone.

SOLD!

Bear in mind however that Light's arms were 33-5/8" whereas Strange69's are only 33" flat... Big difference.

It's ok to cross-train him at LT, just in case, but I'd rather first see what Anderson has to offer there...

I had to leave this board for months last year when we drafted this hump. Now he's got "all the skills!!!"? I WATCHED HIM get bullrushed and knocked on his azz OVER AND OVER all season until they SAT HIS AZZ DOWN. Krist...I hope one of this year's draftees pushes him out and makes him a backup

In hindsight bb was right and you were wrong.

I had to leave this board for months last year when we drafted this hump. Now he's got "all the skills!!!"? I WATCHED HIM get bullrushed and knocked on his azz OVER AND OVER all season until they SAT HIS AZZ DOWN. Krist...I hope one of this year's draftees pushes him out and makes him a backup
You are wrong on this bud

Yep; if he wasn't good enough to start at Left Tackle for his rinky-dink Podunk U team, then why in the world should we expect him to be the starter at that position here? Makes no sense.

Bear in mind however that Light's arms were 33-5/8" whereas Strange69's are only 33" flat... Big difference.

It's ok to cross-train him at LT, just in case, but I'd rather first see what Anderson has to offer there...
5/8” lololololol

Strange was playing pretty well by Week 18. I thought he had a nice game against the Bills.

Cole Strange weighs similar to Matt Light's playing weight, and he is 3 inches taller. And more athletic.

I only post this as an attempt at selling the theory above. No idea if it is a good idea or not.
Matt Light is 6'4

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back