PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Cole Strange ... Sell me on him moving to Tackle

I've seen this in two or three threads now - that Cole Strange will end up as a Tackle instead of Guard

So, tbh, I don't get this theoretical move from Guard to Tackle...

On one hand, its great... Our much maligned first round grab pans out to be a serviceable Tackle, meaning the pick wasn't wasted on "just a guard"... We get a young decent Tackle, on a cheap rookie deal, its a win...

On the other, I didn't really see much last year that would allow for such a transition... That doesn't really matter, because it was the furthest thing from my mind... I probably thought more about you tube cat videos than moving Strange from Guard to Tackle last year... He has issues handling straight line pressures (aka the bull rush) and had some issues with the quicker defenders using stunts to beat him in the turn... Him whiffing on those on the outside could be potentially disastrous...

So should we try to make this happen? If we do, will he miss much needed reps on the interior of the line, learning how to fine tune his penciled in position at LG?
And so this thread was brought up again so I will add my 3 cents this time…yes…Cole Strange would be a very good LT. He has the same measurables as Matt Light only Strange is more athletic. And some some dude ( forgot his name) drafted in 2023 with the same measurables is having a good season so far at T.

One of the recent issues with the Offensive line is BB putting players where we need the most help instead of putting them where they would excel the most.

Don't worry, Mayo's not becoming a HC - here or elsewhere - anytime soon.
He’s going to regret not taking the Carolina interview. His stock is plummeting.

Does Cole Strange return in 2024?

If there’s a new coaching staff, I don’t think so.

How do you see that scenario happening? New coaching staff shows up and starts cutting guys on their rookie deals?

Why in the world did you necro this thread from 5 months ago about Strange moving to tackle to make this completely unrelated comment?
I myself think it's a perfectly good thread that welcomes a variety of viewpoints on a multitude of topics... The OP was ahead of the times regarding the diversity of topics in football

Maybe NE can get a #1 for Strange given how "hot 'n heavy" another team was to draft him.

Black Ink Crew Laughing GIF by VH1

Rams head coach Sean McVay and general manager Les Snead were in the middle of a media availably session and Snead was in the middle of answering a question. McVay was watching the TV behind the media and interrupted him to say "Strange just went." There was laughter in the room as they were both clearly distracted now.

"Oh my UT-Chattanooga to the first round," said Snead while adjusting the microphone.

Why in the world did you necro this thread from 5 months ago about Strange moving to tackle to make this completely unrelated comment?

Because he wanted to remind everyone who posted that Strange is a big part of this team, how stupid of a thought that was!

I said it the moment the pick was made, this will be BB downfall! Nobody can justify a Div 3 guard in the first round, this pick remains now as it was then, indefensible.

I can't comment on Strange, but I can comment on "Just a guard." I think it's an old idea and that guards are now very important, or at least the lack of guards on many teams caused huge problems last year. Let's ask Matt Stafford if he's still laughing along with his coach at the prospect of taking a guard in the 1st round. Nothing like getting hammered repeatedly by rushes up the middle to make you take a second look.

I could see moving Strange to Tackle because his athleticism is his greatest strength, but I agree that the “ just a guard” saw is horseshit, as nothing is more disruptive than pressure up the middle.

Because he wanted to remind everyone who posted that Strange is a big part of this team, how stupid of a thought that was!

I said it the moment the pick was made, this will be BB downfall! Nobody can justify a Div 3 guard in the first round, this pick remains now as it was then, indefensible.
This gets repeated enough that I don’t know if people are attempting to make the same bad joke over and over or if they’re just that misinformed, but Strange was a division I player.

Some of our best offensive linemen have come from non-P5 schools, like Logan Mankins, Bruce Armstrong, heck Stephen Neal didnt even play football in college. There have been many top All-Pros and HOF linemen from small schools.

Some of our best offensive linemen have come from non-P5 schools, like Logan Mankins, Bruce Armstrong, heck Stephen Neal didnt even play football in college. There have been many top All-Pros and HOF linemen from small schools.

And...?

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back