PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Clarification: N'Keal Harry is Designated for Return from IR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Definitely premature for "I told you so" considering there's no guarantee he actually comes off IR, and there's no guarantee the team picks Wynn over Develin despite conventional knowledge. I think Harry and Wynn will be the ones who come off IR and the evidence does support that, but it's pretty ridiculous to start a thread gloating about being right about it when it's not even locked in.

You are correct that Harry practicing means he takes up one of the return slots.

You are not correct (yet) that it's fait accompli that he is going to be activated. I forget what year, might have been the first year they gave you two return slots, but the Patriots had two players come back to practice, eat up the spots, then not ever play. One might have been Shea McClellin? Can't remember the other. But coming back to practice doesn't guarantee anything yet.
Thought the other was Malcolm Mitchell

Here's your answer -

Shea McClellin case brings fairness of 'return from IR' rule into question

"FOXBOROUGH -- As of this year, NFL teams are allowed to designate two players for return off of the injured reserve list.

A player must be designated on the first day he comes back to practice, so the chance always exists that the player suffers a setback and is unable to be moved to the active roster (a transaction that must take place within 21 days of the player's first practice).

This appears to be the case with Patriots linebacker Shea McClellin, who has practiced since mid-October, but will not be activated."

If Harry "must be designated", wouldn't that show up in the Patriots transactions? Something like "N'Keal Harry designated to return from the IR"? It's certainly not on the Patriots on-line transaction page: New England Patriots

Ahhh - I found it on the NFL's list of transactions: NFL League Transactions | NFL.com

On Oct. 15th, N'Keal Harry was "Designated for Return" & "Returned to Practice".

Last edited:
Definitely premature for "I told you so" considering there's no guarantee he actually comes off IR, and there's no guarantee the team picks Wynn over Develin despite conventional knowledge. I think Harry and Wynn will be the ones who come off IR and the evidence does support that, but it's pretty ridiculous to start a thread gloating about being right about it when it's not even locked in.

I'm not sure if you're aiming this post at me, but in no way am I trying to "gloat". All I am trying to do is clear up what seems to be a popular misconception by some posters on this board that believe there is currently a choice between N'Keal Harry and anyone else on IR eligible to return to the 53 man roster. Once a player on IR returns to practice, they are officially designated for return to the 53 man roster.

Fact: As of October 22nd, the Patriots can designate only one more player to return from IR. Those candidates the Patriots can choose to "designate for return" include Wynn, Develin or Gostkowski.

Have fun debating which of those three the Patriots will select to designate to return to the 53 man roster. I could honestly care less what anyone on this board thinks of which one of these three are coming back.

You are correct that Harry practicing means he takes up one of the return slots.

You are not correct (yet) that it's fait accompli that he is going to be activated. I forget what year, might have been the first year they gave you two return slots, but the Patriots had two players come back to practice, eat up the spots, then not ever play. One might have been Shea McClellin? Can't remember the other. But coming back to practice doesn't guarantee anything yet.
The year that McClellan started to practice, he was designated for one of the 2 slots. When it became clear that he wasn't going to make it back in time, the Pats did NOT get that slot back. So flash forward a couple of years and it is Harry who is now practicing as a designated returnee. If it becomes apparent that HE can't get back, then Develin can't simply replace him. Its Harry or nothing.

If you are hoping for a Develin return, then it would have to come at the expense of Wynn. And I don't think that is going to happen. BTW- I'm pretty sure Wynn will be eligible to return to practice next Monday and will be eligible to return to the team after the bye. That will give him a full 3 weeks of practice to be ready to step right back into the swing of things.

What would even be sweeter would be to hear that Casjuste would come off the NFI and start his 6 week period of practice. That would be a nice depth addition come December for the playoff push.

She is an adult.

From Massachusetts. Graduated from Wellesley.
Who is that? Looks like some sort of meltdown of a her preferred politician that wasn’t elected.

I never thought Devlin would come back this year, but I certainly would put him in the 2nd slot if it had been possible. Of course, Wynn is the one we need most. But after that, the center (Andrews)-fullback (Devlin) knockout, combined with the weak left tackle-tight end problem is why we have no dominant running game. And that, in turn, means no credible play-action, which is why defensive lines can put so much pressure on Brady.

If Harry "must be designated", wouldn't that show up in the Patriots transactions? Something like "N'Keal Harry designated to return from the IR"? It's certainly not on the Patriots on-line transaction page: New England Patriots

Ahhh - I found it on the NFL's list of transactions: NFL League Transactions | NFL.com

On Oct. 15th, N'Keal Harry was "Designated for Return" & "Returned to Practice".

With Sanu in the mix now, Harry can be back on IR. Why? because Patriots can only bring back 2 from IR. Wynn, Develin, Harry. Which two?

Wynn & Develin would be the obvious choices. With the run plays, a pure FB is of need more than a WR, now.

With Sanu in the mix now, Harry can be back on IR. Why? because Patriots can only bring back 2 from IR. Wynn, Develin, Harry. Which two?

Wynn & Develin would be the obvious choices. With the run plays, a pure FB is of need more than a WR, now.

You might want to read the entire thread. :) The decision on Harry is irreversible.

Really hope N'Keal Harry have another good week of practice getting back into things.

Yea can't wait to see him in the Ravens game and Sanu this week.

I am intrigued too especially to see N'Keal Harry but I wonder if the Pats would wait until after the Bye-Week to give him some game action. He would be a welcomed boost in the Second Half also a healthy Flash Gordon.

reinforcements are on the way...

Can't wait to see another Patriots WR draft pick sit on the bench...

Excellent thought from a so-called pats fan.
With Sanu signed, honestly how much playing time will a rookie WR get here. Please tell me. True "Fan".

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft