PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Designated to Return

Status
Not open for further replies.
Could they activate him before the three week window... say if he looks good Harry that is??
From what I understand, he was placed on IR in early September prior to game one, meaning that he has to miss at least 8 games.

thanx supadowna

From what I understand, he was placed on IR in early September prior to game one, meaning that he has to miss at least 8 games.

So he would be eligible for that Baltimore game: ok hope we see Harry by then.

What was true before is more true now, with the loss of Johnson to IR:

If reporters are correct, and Develin is done for the season, the two returnees seem obvious. If Develin were going to be able to return, the two returnees would still seem obvious. The only difference is that, in scenario one, the returnees would be Wynn/Harry while, in scenario two, the returnees would be Wynn/Develin.

Yes. In 2017 the Pats designated Shea McClellin to return from injured reserve but he never made it to the active roster, so they lost one opportunity to bring a player back. I'm sure they don't want to make that mistake again.

Personally, I have high hopes of Harry as a difference-maker. I think he would be a significant upgrade over Olszewski as a punt returner, for example.
not only Shea, neither of our IR guys actually made it back into the fold

we royally screwed that up last year (not everything was in our power ill grant that) but I think we do play it a bit safer this season and only reactivate folks were quite sure can return from the injuries

Harrys and Wynns injuries really weren't that severe, we just valued the roster spot a lot that's why they ended up on IR, i woulnd't be surprised if both are ready to practice as soon as they are officially eligible

not only Shea, neither of our IR guys actually made it back into the fold

we royally screwed that up last year (not everything was in our power ill grant that) but I think we do play it a bit safer this season and only reactivate folks were quite sure can return from the injuries

Harrys and Wynns injuries really weren't that severe, we just valued the roster spot a lot that's why they ended up on IR, i woulnd't be surprised if both are ready to practice as soon as they are officially eligible
Who else would have returned? You can’t screw up the return designation if there’s nobody else with that specific duration of injury to use it on.

A bit OT, but related - what’s the league’s logic on limiting IR returns?

Brutal game where you know guys are gonna get hurt...and wouldn’t you want the best players, and product on the field?

Even if there’s some concept of it being “gamed” - does that really matter if everyone can do it?

There must be something obvious I’m overlooking. Or is it just flat out a dumb rule like it appears on the surface?

Even if there’s some concept of it being “gamed” - does that really matter if everyone can do it?

I think gaming is the concern. Maybe it's a "rich get richer" concern, where a team like the Pats have players at the bottom of their roster that other teams would grab, but not vice versa.

And maybe that's also the reason for not all players being active on game day - that would again help the deepest teams the most.

I agree.

It is not even clear that Harry will be activated to the 53. Practices will determine how healthy and how ready he is (as both Bill and Josh said). If Harry isn't ready, then we will likely trade for a WR. Of course, the health of Dorsett and Gordon plays into this decision.

What was true before is more true now, with the loss of Johnson to IR:

If reporters are correct, and Develin is done for the season, the two returnees seem obvious. If Develin were going to be able to return, the two returnees would still seem obvious. The only difference is that, in scenario one, the returnees would be Wynn/Harry while, in scenario two, the returnees would be Wynn/Develin.

Could they activate him before the three week window
Can't activate him for two weeks after he returns to practice.

BTW, Yodney Cajuste is on the Reserve/NFI list - they could activate him separately from the two designated to return slots (I think!) if he has recovered from his surgery.

It is not even clear that Harry will be activated to the 53.

If they don't then they have blown one of their two Designated Return spots, so I think that is pretty unlikely unless his injury flares up again.

Can't activate him for two weeks after he returns to practice.

BTW, Yodney Cajuste is on the Reserve/NFI list - they could activate him separately from the two designated to return slots (I think!) if he has recovered from his surgery.

Saw a scarry picture of him don't know if it's a Photoshop but Cajuste looks like he lost a ton of weight. Cajuste in the pic looks like a WR hope it's not another Antonio Garcia thing.

I really hope Harry is chomping at the bit to play. His peers at WR from the 2019 Draft are doing quite well for themselves. Our last Rookie WR who came off the bench and lit it up this late is Terry Glenn many moons ago. Again really hope Harry have similar success and stay injury free.

Last edited:
There’s no required amount of practice. The rule is just that the player has to miss 8 games. After he misses 8 games you could immediately activate him without him ever practicing (which would be dumb of course).

Where practice comes in is that after 6 missed games he’s allowed to practice (at the cost of eating a return slot) and then once he starts practicing you have a set amount of time (3 weeks?) to either activate him or leave him on IR.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down