PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Designated to Return

Status
Not open for further replies.
Assuming all 3 are healthy enough to return, my choice is:

#1 Wynn
#2 Devlin
#3 Harry

Wynn is desperately needed and will immediately improve the OL and run game. Devlin is a known entity and will also improve the run game which will be needed in Nov-Feb.

Harry is a complete unknown at this point. After listening to what Tom said about rookie WRs it is unlikely he will contribute enough to make his return a necessity.

Again, based on all 3 being healthy enough to return.

If given the choice I think Bill would bring back Develin.. Bill doesn't value the wr position...unless u consider going into camp w has beens, never will bes, injured guys, undrafted FA, suspension risks, etc at the wr position a position bill values

Pitchers and catchers are still working right now, my sig hero.

Disagree. If all three are healthy and Dorset and Gordon are gtg, the choice should be Wynn and Develin.

I don't think it's close, to be honest. Harry has seen 2 targets in his NFL career. I doubt he contributes much of anything this year. To me, looks like Cajuste, Froholdt, and Harry will all be part of next year's team.

The Pats want to run in the cold weather. Develin makes that go.

Closest thing to having one’s cake and eating it too would be Wynn, Harry and signing FA Dwayne Allen.

If this were true, we'd see a lot of production from the #4 WR over the years. This is generally not the case. It could be the case if the #4 WR were close in skill set to the the #3 WR, but this usually isn't so.

IN 2019, in my personal opinion, Gordon is much, much better than Harry. So, sure there would be some plays just for Harry, SHOULD HE EVER GET IN. I would almost never sit Edelman, Dorsett or Gordon in order to play Harry. There would always be better plays for the other three. But, sure, a couple of times in a game, we would put the #4 WR in the game with one of those plays. This is the case NOW when our top three are healthy. Meyers gets very few reps when everyone is healthy.

Harry is an upgrade of Harry, but nowhere near the quality of Gordon. So, his activation would be a plus. In addition, Meyers would still be there as a deep backup.

The mistake you are making here is thinking that all players are getting the equivalent amount of reps as their position of your imaginary depth chart allocates them.

What will happen with Harry is that he will get a vertical cut of the playbook with concepts and routes where his abilities stand out (e.g. hitches, comebacks and WR screens). Maybe also some sideline stuff where he can show off his contested catch ability.

And he will get a lot of reps specifically in those packages in practice and when situations come up during the game. And that selection of plays will increase successively depending on how well he does with his opportunities.

This would be a very inexpensive option. I expect at least one mid-level acquisition.

Closest thing to having one’s cake and eating it too would be Wynn, Harry and signing FA Dwayne Allen.

Is there a possible defensive player on the roster who is capable of getting a few snaps at fulback much like Vrabel did at TE?

if Dan skipper can catch, I would love to see him at tight end. Huge red zone/end zone target. Plus he is instantly a better blocker than izzo, we can ir Lacosse to open a spit on the roster.

Didn't they get rid of the "designated to return" tag last year? I think all players put onto the in-season IR list are eligible to return now. The only limit I know of is that only 2 can come back. Which 2 isn't set by any designation but if and/or when they return.
You still have to designate them to return, but the designation is made want them to start practicing and not when you put them on IR.

If this were true, we'd see a lot of production from the #4 WR over the years. This is generally not the case. It could be the case if the #4 WR were close in skill set to the the #3 WR, but this usually isn't so.

You keep using this numeric designations of WR as if they mean anything. Players don't really have depth chart positions here but roles. Some WR might have overlapping ones others have unique ones based on their strengths. The depth chart is something the team
has to release due to league rules but that is as far as it goes.

IN 2019, in my personal opinion, Gordon is much, much better than Harry. So, sure there would be some plays just for Harry, SHOULD HE EVER GET IN. I would almost never sit Edelman, Dorsett or Gordon in order to play Harry. There would always be better plays for the other three.

I don't even know where to begin here.

Harry will be able to play his role in specific concepts of McDaniel's callsheet substantially better than any other WR on the roster just due to his unique skillset and then -- obviously -- there will be many others where due to experience he will be behind other receivers.

Suggesting that there is no place for him because some of his skillset is redundant with e.g. Gordon is absurd to me. He literally enables you to run completely different concepts just by being on the field e.g. WITH Gordon against the right personnel. You can mesh together route combinations with him on the field that you could not do with someone like Dorsett just due to the difference in physique.

You gotta stop with this depth chart style of thinking. You are limiting yourself by thinking that if e.g. #2 gets injured #3 just gets his routes and responsibilities because that is just not the case. Players have roles in NE not depth chart positions.

Ultimately Harry will find his way onto the field the same way Mitchell found himself an initial niche and started to expand on that in an offense that was in a substantially better place in 2016 than ours is now.

That is if Harry will be designated to return which if you believe what trusted guys like Reiss say seems to be the plan.

Last edited:
Ultimately Harry will find his way onto the field the same way Mitchell found himself an initial niche and started to expand on that in an offense that was in a substantially better place in 2016 than ours is now.

That is if Harry will be designated to return which if you believe what trusted guys like Reiss say seems to be the plan.

Indeed.

We all agree Wynn is the most important return of the 3.
As for the Develin vs. Harry debate:
BOTH would end up having major positive impact imo.
A few weeks ago, it was a no-brainer to me that Develin would my choice and probably,BB's as well. But given the injuries at wr and lack of reliable production at te(tho there has been improvement), I'd lean slightly toward Harry. I think he's going to be a very good wr.
But the debate is pointless since it's highly likely Develins injury will prevent him from coming back this year.
But there are many on this forum who grossly undervalue Develin and who have no clue what he actually does or how much he impacts this offense.
It is a major loss not having him.

Debate so far has assumed harry fills a wr slot, bumping Meyers to wr5. But what if you count hum vs a receiving TE position and not a wr. Just saying he and Meyers could see the active roster/field at same time

Wentz with some Globetrotter style ball handling for a td.

Edit: Oops. Wrong thread ... :oops:

The Patriots have nothing to lose having Harry return to practice on Monday.
They have three weeks to activate him to the roster or return to IR. At worst, he would get a little on the field work.

They have three weeks to activate him to the roster or return to IR. At worst, he would get a little on the field work.
Well, it does eat one of the two return slots even if they don’t activate him

Could they activate him before the three week window... say if he looks good Harry that is??

I was located in Dallas when Deon Sanders got turf toe. Back then, it was unheard of and he had a rough time recovering. I couldn't remember the details so I Googled it.

NFL Hall of Famer Deion Sanders Shows Us His Funky "Turf Toe"

Hopefully, Wynn's is not this bad.
Turf toe was the injury that the tough ass SOB Jack Lambert couldn’t manage to recover from, so there’s another example to add. It seems like it can be a very serious injury.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes