PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Chung cocaine indictment?

Status
Not open for further replies.
giphy.gif
I did coke ONCE. Down in the Caribbean at the end of a scuba diving week on Andros Island back in the mid 80's. It was a GREAT high, partied all night, when I came down there was no hangover or side affects, (except maybe the lack of sleep). That was the point when I said to myself, "well, I can't do THAT anymore, that was too good". And I never touched it again.

Luckily I don't have the propensity toward addiction, but I never did coke again because I could see where it would be VERY easy to slip into addiction with that particular drug.

Here's a link to the newspaper article detailing the June arrest and other indictments...
Two arrested in drug raid indicted on several charges

Reading the detailed article of the arrests, Chung had the least serious violation while all the others had some kind of intent to distribute. The Grand Jury found enough evidence to indict him, but that's a long way under these circumstances from a conviction. This could get very interesting.

I did coke ONCE. Down in the Caribbean at the end of a scuba diving week on Andros Island back in the mid 80's. It was a GREAT high, partied all night, when I came down there was no hangover or side affects, (except maybe the lack of sleep). That was the point when I said to myself, "well, I can't do THAT anymore, that was too good". And I never touched it again.

Luckily I don't have the propensity toward addiction, but I never did coke again because I could see where it would be VERY easy to slip into addiction with that particular drug.

Personally never touched the stuff.

Did a ton of ecstasy in HS overseas and have stuck to THC since college. Coke made a huge come back at UMass my last two years there, but by that point, it didn't really fit what I was looking for in a substance. Had many friends who ranged from Dabblers to full on bender on bender on bender habits.

OT:
I know the neighborhood of Chung’s Meredith house quite well. Many Years ago, a drunk boater was speeding down Meredith Bay at 3am in a Cigarette boat. The boat hit the end of a pier at an estimated 70 mph, went flying thru the air and landed upside down and inside a home set back 100 feet from the waters edge. All passengers dead.
From the map I just looked at, could very easily be the same lot.
I boated to the house the next day and couldn’t believe the distance the boat traveled in the air, with half the boat resting inside the house.
Not prime water front real estate because a railroad track skirted the shore.

Cool story?

Reading the detailed article of the arrests, Chung had the least serious violation while all the others had some kind of intent to distribute. The Grand Jury found enough evidence to indict him, but that's a long way under these circumstances from a conviction. This could get very interesting.

A grand jury would indict a ham sandwich if the DA wanted them to.....

Chung wasn't there....nor was he arrested....

And the DA is now on a vacation....

There's something going on here we don't know, IMO. If I were a DA, I would drop this case....it will be a hard one to win for such a minor infraction (yeah, felony I know....but there are worse things than someone with some blow in their house).

OT:
I know the neighborhood of Chung’s Meredith house quite well. Many Years ago, a drunk boater was speeding down Meredith Bay at 3am in a Cigarette boat. The boat hit the end of a pier at an estimated 70 mph, went flying thru the air and landed upside down and inside a home set back 100 feet from the waters edge. All passengers dead.
From the map I just looked at, could very easily be the same lot.
I boated to the house the next day and couldn’t believe the distance the boat traveled in the air, with half the boat resting inside the house.
Not prime water front real estate because a railroad track skirted the shore.

Well there you have it. Obviously the cocaine was not Patrick Chung's. It was the dead drunk cigarette boater's. Case closed. Now everybody move along.

Surprised that this would be under the personal conduct....

Why is that? Possession of drugs = possession of substance = likely substance abuse?

I believe you need to fail a drug test to be in the substance abuse protocol....it is entirely possible he passes a drug test.......which would [rotect him from the PCP RE: arrest for illegal drug possession

True to form there is a ton of convicting and character judgement going on in this thread without hardly any facts....*SHOCKED*
wowee crazy how humans be like that i think you're on to something man

I'm a Pats fan in Atlanta who has defended numerous drug cases in both state and federal court. Let's assume 2 facts as true: 1) the police entered the house pursuant to a tripped burglar alarm and 2) there is no direct evidence linking him to the coke (eg his fingerprints are not on the container). If so, even though the search is probably righteous (within limits), this is an extremely weak case. Assuming he's had visitors in his house, there are so many avenues for reasonable doubt I don't even know where to begin. I'll go more in depth when more facts come out, but he doesn't even need a fall guy for this. He'll walk without a scratch on him.

Now I'm curious ... let's suppose something identified Chung as associated with the coke, like fingerprint(s). What, if any, impact would that have on this case?

I haven't read the whole thread, but I saw some debate as to whether the NFL's personal conduct policy would apply, or the drug policy. Goodell has more latitude with the former.

The precedent is that it would be the drug policy, which covers not only failed tests but also arrests for drugs.

Kevin Faulk, for example, never failed a drug test but was arrested for pot possession. He was suspended on the drug policy.

Patriots RB Faulk loses two game checks for drug violation

I believe you need to fail a drug test to be in the substance abuse protocol....it is entirely possible he passes a drug test.......which would [rotect him from the PCP RE: arrest for illegal drug possession

Hard to test positive for cocaine, when the cops already took your stash :cool:

I haven't read the whole thread, but I saw some debate as to whether the NFL's personal conduct policy would apply, or the drug policy. Goodell has more latitude with the former.

The precedent is that it would be the drug policy, which covers not only failed tests but also arrests for drugs.

Kevin Faulk, for example, never failed a drug test but was arrested for pot possession. He was suspended on the drug policy.

Patriots RB Faulk loses two game checks for drug violation

it's been a long time since Faulks suspension.......the PCP covers illegal possession of drugs and alcohol as of 2016

Well NH is having issues with heroine right now so that may be why the drug laws are tougher? Personally I don't think it becomes a big thing. If this is a first offense and a non-dealing situation I doubt he will see much if any jail time with a half decent lawyer.
Heroin is a drug........a heroine on the other hand- we should commend her for her selfless act of bravery and/or courage. :D
Sorry, this misspelling just annoys my educator sensibilities.

I do see plenty of holes in this case and Chung can certainly get off (pun intended). Some of the things to look for when the actual facts start to come out is how the cocaine found at Chung's house is linked to the dealers they arrested. Did one of them admit that they sold to Chung? It seems odd that Chung was part of this case, unless he has a much bigger role in the distribution than we have all assumed.

On the other hand, if the Police had fore knowledge that their might be cocaine in Chung's house (because one of the people they arrested told them) then the story of "finding" it during a welfare check after an alarm starts to fall apart at light speed, any decent lawyer would rip that apart.

It seems like such a weak case to bring if the facts are they found a small amount of cocaine in an empty house (after an alarm went off (which would give the home owner a built in boggy man to point to)) in plain view. There either has to be much more to this story or this is some shoddy Police work, and a desperate DAs office.

it's been a long time since Faulks suspension.......the PCP covers illegal possession of drugs and alcohol as of 2016
You're right, I stand corrected:

https://nflcommunications.com/Documents/2018 Policies/2018 Personal Conduct Policy.pdf

from page 2
Prohibited conduct includes but is not limited to the following:

-Actual or threatened physical violence against another person, including dating violence,
domestic violence, child abuse, and other forms of family violence;
-Assault and/or battery, including sexual assault or other sex offenses;
-Violent or threatening behavior toward another employee or a third party in any workplace
setting;
-Stalking, harassment, or similar forms of intimidation;
-Illegal possession of a gun or other weapon (such as explosives, toxic substances, and the like),
or possession of a gun or other weapon in any workplace setting;
-Illegal possession, use, or distribution of alcohol or drugs;
-Possession, use, or distribution of steroids or other performance enhancing substances;
-Crimes involving cruelty to animals as defined by state or federal law;
-Crimes of dishonesty such as blackmail, extortion, fraud, money laundering, or racketeering;
-Theft-related crimes such as burglary, robbery, or larceny;
-Disorderly conduct;
-Crimes against law enforcement, such as obstruction, resisting arrest, or harming a police
officer or other law enforcement officer;
-Conduct that poses a genuine danger to the safety and well-being of another person; and
-Conduct that undermines or puts at risk the integrity of the NFL, NFL clubs, or NFL personnel.

I just went over to BSJ to see how Bedard was reporting about this. His conclusions were interesting, but informative. HIS conclusion was, that based on the time it takes to process this incident legally, and how the league has dealt with this in the past, HE doesn't think anything will happen to Chung for THIS season.

Unlike some, he isn't doing any "hot takes" or practicing OMG journalism. It was just a calm and cool analysis of an uncomfortable and embarrassing incident. At least that was my take on his article.

So now after reading more details, there was an alarm at his house, and the officers entered an empty house with probable cause.

Unless the coke was laying out on a living room table, they might have searched his drawers or cabinets for it.

One wonders, in that case, if probable cause even allows police to do something like that.
IANAL, but if I recall my middling grasp of the law correctly...if the item is in plain sight, then, yes, it can be seized as evidence. However, if the *stuff* was stashed away (pardon the verbiage) where they had to fling open drawers and doors and whatnot, then IMNSHO the evidence would most likely be inadmissible. Fruit of the poisoned tree, and all that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes