PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Chung cocaine indictment?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A couple of thoughts:

1. This is an INDICTMENT. As of this moment he is guilty of nothing. So while the league might start an investigation, I wouldn't think that anything would change playing wise for Chung except the embarrassment of the situation.

2. Seattle had a player last season who was CONVICTED of insider trading playing for them.

3. The jail time element of the indictment is scary. The reality is less so. I'd bet that 99% of those convicted of a first time POSSESSION not distribution of cocaine would be probation and some kind of intervention program.

4. One of the first things that occurred to me was this incident happened back in June. Isn't that the time that players get their annual piss test for PED's. He'd have failed the test if had had coke in his system. Maybe his best defense (another guy left it there) would be that clean blood test.

BTW- having a vacation home in the lakes region of NH, I'm sure Chung HAS had a lot of guests there and allowed friends to have used his home when he is not there. So a "my friend left it" defense WOULD be logical.

5. Another thought that occurred to me is that was maybe THIS was the real reason Chung has been wearing the red jersey all preseason. Clearly, since it happened back in June, the Pats have known this was coming. Just a thought.

6. As far as a suspension, it's time the league got out of the players personal space. I have no problem with them testing and preventing the players from using PED's, but what they do on a personal level in the off season is really none of their business.

7. This incident is an embarrassment to Chung, and the league, and a distraction to the team. But the thing that pisses me off is the headlines that Chung has been charged with FELONY coke possession, as if by using the word FELONY you make it sound worse. In NH you can have an ounce of MJ and it would be a "felony". The media hype machine. Bah!

I believe, but could be wrong, that the "Drugs of Abuse" test occurs in April.

I recall a player on Twitter (maybe Chris Long) making a 420 joke about being piss tested on 420.

Also, the coke detection window is a couple of days to a week. Not like weed, that lingers for a month ish

True to form there is a ton of convicting and character judgement going on in this thread without hardly any facts....*SHOCKED*

VF5Amzx.png

Why would they cut him unless some things happened that would lead to them cutting him lol thanks Kontra
A first time blow offense for personal use is a lot different than Chung going Tony Montana on the NH populace. If it’s the former, cutting him is a brain dead move. If it’s the latter, he’s going to jail for a long time anyway.

Up to 7 years in jail and/or up to $2000 fine? That seems like a HUGE range of outcomes. Basically saying, "We're either going to ruin your life, or take the money you find between your couch cushions."

It’s code for “up to 7 years in jail (if you’re poor or a minority), or up to a $2,000 fine (if you’re rich, just to teach you a lesson in hiding it better next time)

Young rich guy with coke. It's a tale as old as time. Dumb but not hard to believe. What really makes Chung an idiot (if this is all true and it's his) is that he's now a 32 year old man with children. Who leaves coke out in their house in plain view when they have kids?

A first time blow offense for personal use is a lot different than Chung going Tony Montana on the NH populace. If it’s the former, cutting him is a brain dead move. If it’s the latter, he’s going to jail for a long time anyway.

actually, chung's ass will be in goodell's vice regardless of the outcome of the trial

I believe, but could be wrong, that the "Drugs of Abuse" test occurs in April.

I recall a player on Twitter (maybe Chris Long) making a 420 joke about being piss tested on 420.

Also, the coke detection window is a couple of days to a week. Not like weed, that lingers for a month ish
Well it was worth a shot. Thanks for the info, I wasn't sure exactly when it was done.

A couple of thoughts:
7. This incident is an embarrassment to Chung, and the league, and a distraction to the team. But the thing that pisses me off is the headlines that Chung has been charged with FELONY coke possession, as if by using the word FELONY you make it sound worse. In NH you can have an ounce of MJ and it would be a "felony". Bah, to the media hype machine
Well, it is worse in the sense that unlike a misdemeanor it carries a max sentence of more than a year.

SS is arguably the least important position in this scheme. It use to have a role in covering TEs but the Pats outsourced that to Gilmore/Jackson in the playoffs. Gilmore blanketed Kelce in the 2nd half of the AFC Title & Jackson held Everett to a goose egg in the SB. The position is more of a quick LB in big dime. The defense didn’t miss a beat in the SB when he was out too.

Also, Terrance Brooks has looked pretty good this offseason. Given our DB depth & his age giving Chung a month vacation (suspension) & 1 million back in cap space isn’t the worst thing.

We actually have a case in NH that went on for years that has similar issues, State v. David Orde (police at the property for another purpose and spot drugs (in this case marijuana plants on the back porch)). Eventually the drug evidence was thrown out as the homeowner had a reasonable expectation of privacy on the back porch and the cops did not have a warrant to search it. I believe either Mr. Orde (a fairly well known person in southern NH as he owns Lull Farms in Hollis, NH) and/or his son served short jail terms for these charges before the case was eventually overturned. Below is a link (I hope...)

Whether the cocaine was in plain sight (probably "in" under Orde) or hidden and "found" through a search (probably "out" under Orde) will have a big impact on how this case goes.

FindLaw's Supreme Court of New Hampshire case and opinions.

If Chung exhausts all of his legal options (rather than pleading guilty now), then there’s a decent chance that it won’t affect his 2019 availability.

There may be a value to pleading guilty now. Probation, fine and a NFL suspension ..... end of problem (possibly).

Well it was worth a shot. Thanks for the info, I wasn't sure exactly when it was done.

As i said I could be dead wrong on when it occurs but did recall that story which puts it closer to the start of the league year in March

Well @ least he didn’t murder someone.

True to form there is a ton of convicting and character judgement going on in this thread without hardly any facts....*SHOCKED*

There's a report that it was found in his house after an alarm went off. Those may not be the facts, but they are the "facts" as we currently are hearing them. So I'm not really sure what your point is, on this one.

Well, it is worse in the sense that unlike a misdemeanor it carries a max sentence of more than a year.
Oh, I understand that part QM. I was just talking about the word "felony" makes it sound like it was worse than what it was. Like if the headline had read, "Chung indicted for possession of coke" instead, it would sound a lot less menacing than when you add the word "felony". Everything drug related charge in NH is a felony.

Last edited:
There may be a value to pleading guilty now. Probation, fine and a NFL suspension ..... end of problem (possibly).

or he could have it dragged out until after the season and then retire.......he's going to be 33 at that time......

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes