PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Chung cocaine indictment?

Status
Not open for further replies.
But let's assume the coke was in plain sight. The law clearly states it can be used as evidence of a crime, but does that law seem just? If the initial reason they came was unrelated to drug usage, why would it be appropriate to address the matter? That's another discussion for another time and probably best that it doesn't occur in this thread.

The Cops have to be in Chung's home lawfully in the first place for the plain view doctrine to take effect. You can't just go in unlawfully and say "Oh, look what we have here, some cocaine"...

Why is everyone saying IF he is a first time offender he will get only 4 games...do we not know?

my prediction...........this does not conclude until after the season and then he retires

He's 32, so hard to believe he's got more than 2 years left as a Patriot...

They've done it before; we've seen cases of the police doctoring or planting evidence, especially as it relates to drug charges. It's not out of the realm of possibility to believe that perhaps, sometimes, the police do in fact falsify information/evidence.

That's not to say all LEOs do so, and I'd wager those that do are in the minority. But it happens nonetheless so I'm not unwilling to rule it out. Is it likely? Probably not. But possible.

But let's assume the coke was in plain sight. The law clearly states it can be used as evidence of a crime, but does that law seem just? If the initial reason they came was unrelated to drug usage, why would it be appropriate to address the matter? That's another discussion for another time and probably best that it doesn't occur in this thread.

you watch too much TV, do you honestly think cops walk around with drugs and guns on them so they can plant them on innocent people?

at 32, the optics make him look like even more of an idiot

he's confused........that's if he fails a drug test.......getting arrested is a different problem pile

from PCP:

Following review, the Commissioner, either directly or through a member of his staff, will communicate his decision to the player regarding any disciplinary action to be taken. Depending on the nature of the violation and the player’s record, discipline may be a fine, a suspension for a fixed or an indefinite period of time, a combination of the two, or banishment from the league with an opportunity to reapply. Discipline may also include a probationary period and conditions that must be met for reinstatement and to remain eligible to participate in the league.

Guy's career is 100% over, with the Patriots anyways.

Without knowing the specifics, this seems more like a Kevin Faulk situation than a Leon Lett situation.

you watch too much TV, do you honestly think cops walk around with drugs and guns on them so they can plant them on innocent people?

they don't have to.......they just shoot people.......or shove broomsticks into their rectums

Eh. Not fun to hear the news, but doubt it grows from here. Worst case he’ll be suspended for a bit, which isn’t such a bad thing for an older guy.

If found guilty I can see him being released

Comments:

a.) The cops had a probable cause because they were responding to a B&E alarm. Not sure if they had probable cause to go on a fishing expedition inside the house though...it would depend on whether the coke was hidden or not....I think there's some gray area there for a good lawyer to exploit. In addition, there's always the..."it wasn't mine" defense which would depend on how many other people lived in that house. Remember last year there was a murder at a NYG player's (forget who) house when the guy wasn't even there....also McCoy's ex-gf got robbed when McCoy didn't live at the house he shared with her.....nothing happened to both players.

b.) I read that the first offense for a class II substance in New Hampshire = A fine of $350-$5,000 or a prison sentence of UP TO 7 years or both.

c.) IMO, Chung gets a fine, does some community service, goes to a meeting or two, and then the NFL suspends him.

d.) Per news accounts...the NFL can suspend Chung for UP TO 4 games. And a lot of players this year have gotten 4 game suspensions for substance abuse...so I expect Chung out the first 4 games...which is a good thing as I think he needs more time to heal up that shoulder...and allows us to evaluate our safety depth a bit longer.

In certain places and times with some cops, absolutely 100%

This idea that all LOE are as pure as the driven snow is laugh out loud funny.

Having said that, I am not claiming this is what happened with Chung.

The big difference would be if the NFL's collectively bargained substance abuse policy covers this in written language. Hill would have had to be suspended under one of those "protecting the shield" clauses, which are open to Goodell's interpretation. If there's a standard punishment for this in the CBA, it won't matter what did or didn't happen to Hill. I don't know if this is covered under that though, so we'll see.
https://nflpaweb.blob.core.windows.net/media/Default/PDFs/Agents/2016SOAPolicy_v2.pdf

A couple of thoughts:

1. This is an INDICTMENT. As of this moment he is guilty of nothing. So while the league might start an investigation, I wouldn't think that anything would change playing wise for Chung except the embarrassment of the situation.

2. Seattle had a player last season who was CONVICTED of insider trading playing for them.

3. The jail time element of the indictment is scary. The reality is less so. I'd bet that 99% of those convicted of a first time POSSESSION not distribution of cocaine would be probation and some kind of intervention program.

4. One of the first things that occurred to me was this incident happened back in June. Isn't that the time that players get their annual piss test for PED's. He'd have failed the test if had had coke in his system. Maybe his best defense (another guy left it there) would be that clean blood test.

BTW- having a vacation home in the lakes region of NH, I'm sure Chung HAS had a lot of guests there and allowed friends to have used his home when he is not there. So a "my friend left it" defense WOULD be logical, and more than likely true.

5. Another thought that occurred to me is that was maybe THIS was the real reason Chung has been wearing the red jersey all preseason. Clearly, since it happened back in June, the Pats have known this was coming. Just a thought.

6. As far as a suspension, it's time the league got out of the players personal space. I have no problem with them testing and preventing the players from using PED's, but what they do on a personal level in the off season is really none of their business.

7. This incident is an embarrassment to Chung, and the league, and a distraction to the team. But the thing that pisses me off is the headlines that Chung has been charged with FELONY coke possession, as if by using the word FELONY you make it sound worse. In NH you can have an ounce of MJ and it would be a "felony". Bah, to the media hype machine

Comments:

a.) The cops had a probable cause because they were responding to a B&E alarm. Not sure if they had probable cause to go on a fishing expedition inside the house though...it would depend on whether the coke was hidden or not....I think there's some gray area there for a good lawyer to exploit. In addition, there's always the..."it wasn't mine" defense which would depend on how many other people lived in that house. Remember last year there was a murder at a NYG player's (forget who) house when the guy wasn't even there....also McCoy's ex-gf got robbed when McCoy didn't live at the house he shared with her.....nothing happened to both players.

b.) I read that the first offense for a class II substance in New Hampshire = A fine of $350-$5,000 or a prison sentence of UP TO 7 years or both.

c.) IMO, Chung gets a fine, does some community service, goes to a meeting or two, and then the NFL suspends him.

d.) Per news accounts...the NFL can suspend Chung for UP TO 4 games. And a lot of players this year have gotten 4 game suspensions for substance abuse...so I expect Chung out the first 4 games...which is a good thing as I think he needs more time to heal up that shoulder...and allows us to evaluate our safety depth a bit longer.

it could be 4 games, but it could be more......this falls under the personal conduct policy, not the substance abuse policy.....regardless, the suspension will only occur after a verdict is rendered in the case........and he can be suspended whether or not he is found guilty.......this is where goodell can decide guilt

Damn NH doesn't play around...

You silly billy... rich people don’t go to prison for small amount of cocaine possession

But yes, our drug laws here in NH are pretty draconian.. we’re kind of a police state here

When they were voting on decriminalizing marijuana, the police were freaking out saying that their arrest rates would drop by 80%.... as if that was a bad thing lol! Admitting 80% of your arrests are from marijuana is not a good look, especially when you’re complaining about it as a justification for not changing the law

But since like 75% of the population wanted it decriminalized, they passed it for anything 3/4 of an ounce or less... knowing that most people will buy an ounce for personal consumption, so they can keep those arrest numbers up and keep the “savages” off the streets

Also proof that tougher drug laws don’t really work, seeings how NH has one of the worst opiate problems in the country.

I’m really frustrated with our political “leaders”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back