PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

DRAFT Christian Gonzalez

Yep.

There is a difference between an unwilling tackler and a good tackler.

In that same article teammates cited Gilly as a very willing tackler in the postseason. Reg season he picked his spots.

I'd be OK of Gonzo was the same way.
Yes,

That is a smart player knowing how to preserve his body, and as the article mentioned gilly lock ramped it up come playoff time. With Gonzalez he is coming into a defense with vets and a dam good coach in mayo who can relate to the players. I'm more concerned with containing that masterful route runner up in Buffalo that's touched us in Diggs

You can't really argue with the Pats, for once, taking the BPA at a position of great need!

They actually took the BPA in the second round too, and for once, I thought that someone had finally taken the remote away from BB. He obviously snatched it back after these two picks and just went off the rails after that.

You don’t score more points for a helmet shaking hit versus a foot grab and lift. A stop is a stop.

Yes,

That is a smart player knowing how to preserve his body, and as the article mentioned gilly lock ramped it up come playoff time. With Gonzalez he is coming into a defense with vets and a dam good coach in mayo who can relate to the players. I'm more concerned with containing that masterful route runner up in Buffalo that's touched us in Diggs
They handled Diggs last year except for 2 long bombs over the top that were near perfect throws, with Diggs laying out for them. They've seen Diggs enough to know how to contain him, but if he goes over the top with a perfect throw and Diggs lays out? You tip your cap to them. You can't defend it when it's on the boundary. Nor do I expect something like that to happen again this year, not because the Patriots are more capable of defending it, but because the degree of difficulty is enormous.

They handled Diggs last year except for 2 long bombs over the top that were near perfect throws, with Diggs laying out for them. They've seen Diggs enough to know how to contain him, but if he goes over the top with a perfect throw and Diggs lays out? You tip your cap to them. You can't defend it when it's on the boundary. Nor do I expect something like that to happen again this year, not because the Patriots are more capable of defending it, but because the degree of difficulty is enormous.
Your right on that... but I'll say going back to that 2021 game at Gillette Diggs had his way with us, last season he ate us up at Gillette.. we did a better job on him last game of the season at Buffalo.. as you mentioned those throws.. Jones bit on it and Diggs went right by him..

To me what sauce does to Diggs is what revis and gilly used to do to all the elite WRs.. from the first snap.. let them know you may as well have taken the day off becuase your on lock. I'll also agree I expect us to be elite top 3 defense in the NFL

Show me a single piece of evidence disproving what I said.

It doesn’t matter if he can’t. I would have taken Witherspoon over Gonzalez, and love his hitting ability, but the most important aspect of playing corner is coverage, and if he can become corner who can blanket the best opposing WR’s, and take them out of play, then he will be worth his weight in gold. Gilmore won defensive player of the year in NE, and it was because of his coverage abilities, not big hits. They have safeties and Linebackers who can fill that role.

Agree. It doesn’t bother me if an opponent makes great plays, as long as they are contested. What bothers me is dumb plays, stupid penalties, and not competing all out.

The Pats didn't "pass" on Gonzalez at 14. They got a trade offer that allowed them to add a 4th round draft pick while keeping the possibility of drafting Gonzalez or Forbes very real since they were fairly certain the Jets wanted Broderick Jones and not a CB. That's just working the draft well

NO d%#*!@t! If Bill wanted him he would have traded up or taken him at 14. He wanted to screw the Jets more than he wanted Gonzalez. Also ignore that Jets had no need at CB and the fact that Pats also had a decent amount of interest in Forbes pre-draft(met at combine & had in for a visit) which would logically indicate they had Forbes high on their board so only had Washington in front of them who could only take 1 of Forbes or Gonzalez

It's funny how the idiots ignore pre-draft contacts. They had a lot of interest in Forbes. I bet Witherspoon, Gonzalez or Forbes was Bill's guy in the 1st. I think if Gonzalez or Forbes would have gone before 14 he doesn't make the trade and takes the 1 still available.

I haven't watched enough of Gonzalez to have a strong opinion either way, but I would like to point out an argumentative dissonance I'm noticing in some of these discussions: Some people are arguing that Gonzalez is not physical, while others are arguing that it doesn't matter whether he makes big hits or not, and these are not the same thing. Physicality in a corner is more than hitting and more than tackling. It can also be how disruptive they are in press. Again, I have no idea how he measures in any of these aspects, but when someone says, "I don't think he's a very physical corner" and the counter is "Corners don't need to lay people out!" I think people are arguing two different points.

Patriots needed a tall CB because big WRs and TEs had a hay day last season.

6 - 4 Tee Higgins 129 yards - 1 TD
6 - 2 Adam Thielen 61 yards - 1 TD
6 - 1 Justin Jefferson 139 yards - 1 TD
6 - 0 Stephon Diggs 196 yards - 2 TDs
6 - 5 Allen Lazard 116 yards - 0 TDs
6 - 5 Mark Andrews 89 yards - 2 TDs

Looking forward to 2023. George Pickens 6 - 3, CeeDee Lamb 6 - 2, Chris Olave 6 - 1, Travis Kelce 6 - 5, Jerry Juedy 6 - 1.

Great post. Mapu is 6'3", so he should be assigned to Lazard (slow), Kelce, and Andrews. That is why we drafted him. WR are probably too fast for Mapu so the Pats will use Gonzalez on the tall WRs.

NO d%#*!@t! If Bill wanted him he would have traded up or taken him at 14. He wanted to screw the Jets more than he wanted Gonzalez. Also ignore that Jets had no need at CB and the fact that Pats also had a decent amount of interest in Forbes pre-draft(met at combine & had in for a visit) which would logically indicate they had Forbes high on their board so only had Washington in front of them who could only take 1 of Forbes or Gonzalez

It's funny how the idiots ignore pre-draft contacts. They had a lot of interest in Forbes. I bet Witherspoon, Gonzalez or Forbes was Bill's guy in the 1st. I think if Gonzalez or Forbes would have gone before 14 he doesn't make the trade and takes the 1 still available.

The mind readers here all seem to think BB is a simpleton.

Prototype build - size, athleticism and skillset. One of the younger prospects in the class at 20 I believe. Father was an athlete that played college ball.

Plus man match/mirror ability. He's very comfortable and impressive using the sideline. Attacking the stem, breaks when a WR is vulnerable. Very smart prospect that's always cool and poised. Great understanding on how to impede a WR without drawing a flag and attacking when they have to stop, adjust or re/stem. Plus man corner that's got above average size but smooth as anything. Very fluid prospect. Tough patient on the line that let's his length do the job when pressing.

Not only does he do a great job playing a WR tendencies and weak points he's always looking, scanning the QB and behind the los for what's coming. Again very smart player that can jump, bait and close off space. Nightmare to deal with on bang bang plays bc his size, speed, length and change of direction. His footwork is plus all around from pedal to in phase that's the thing that really allows him to stay bouncy and stay with any WR. Fluid hips but not oily, great feet. Footwork could improve in zone staying foot firing.

Plus all around on vertical routes. Plays man over ball though. Needs to improve turning and locating. Takes the safe play.

Played ST.

Coaches love him. Hes quiet, tough, versatile and smart. Will never give you any problems!

He's not DeeboSpoon when it comes to tackling. Main issue is angles he takes but he could use his length more. As he uses too much body at times and not enough utilizing his length. He's improved each year though especially in 22.

Trajectory is pointing upward. Tape wasn't great at Colorado but very good on everyones radar. Followed his DB coach to Oregon and took off. He's got 30 starts and has improved in several different areas the past two years. Athleticism shows up all over the place. He can accelerate, stop and start and has plenty of long speed.

He's got the ability to be a big man eraser as well as a true shut down top 10 CB that can play anyone. I love this pick, my CB1 and CB1 on PTP Board.

You always want a planet player in round 1, and they got themselves one. That he is only 20, and coaching up corners is a major strength of the Patriots bodes really well for his future. Gilmore was my comp, but I saw someone also compare him to Patrick Surtain II the other day, and that’s an All Pro caliber comparison from a recent draft. I don’t see how anyone can be unhappy about this pick. The ability to take Diggs away from Allen, and Wilson away from Rodgers will help those match-ups. The Hill/Waddle problem will likely require more scheming, with Jon Jones bearing a big role.

You always want a planet player in round 1, and they got themselves one. That he is only 20, and coaching up corners is a major strength of the Patriots bodes really well for his future. Gilmore was my comp, but I saw someone also compare him to Patrick Surtain II the other day, and that’s an All Pro caliber comparison from a recent draft. I don’t see how anyone can be unhappy about this pick. The ability to take Diggs away from Allen, and Wilson away from Rodgers will help those match-ups. The Hill/Waddle problem will likely require more scheming, with Jon Jones bearing a big role.
You and I share the same sentiment.. I've been beating this drum since season.. as solid as we were in the secondary last season.. we without a lockdown corner.

More so than any WR that past few seasons.. Diggs has pretty much had his way. It appears the team saw what the jets do to Buffalo and followed suit defensively. The Jets have been the only team last season that made Allen look like a JAG . Thier formula a relentless pass rush, and a lock down corner..

We possess that missing piece now. Gonzalez feels special to me.. feels like he wants to become great and your right his body type and wingspan is more of Surtain. At almost 6"2 he's ultra physical, high football IQ. I'm not saying he'll be ty law.. but he appears to have his confidence, the mentality to lock guys up and frustrate them..

You and I share the same sentiment.. I've been beating this drum since season.. as solid as we were in the secondary last season.. we without a lockdown corner.

More so than any WR that past few seasons.. Diggs has pretty much had his way. It appears the team saw what the jets do to Buffalo and followed suit defensively. The Jets have been the only team last season that made Allen look like a JAG . Thier formula a relentless pass rush, and a lock down corner..

We possess that missing piece now. Gonzalez feels special to me.. feels like he wants to become great and your right his body type and wingspan is more of Surtain. At almost 6"2 he's ultra physical, high football IQ. I'm not saying he'll be ty law.. but he appears to have his confidence, the mentality to lock guys up and frustrate them..

Agree on his potential. It will take a little time to get him where they want him to be, but he has the skill set that would cost them $100 million in free agency to acquire. I also like the diversity of their defensive backfield, as they have the safeties to cover TE’s, and the Jones triplets to deal with the shorter super quick receivers like Hill, Waddle, Zay Flowers, and others they will have to face. This could turn into an elite defensive backfield. And while their offense isn’t going to be putting up 30 on a regular basis, their defense could very well be a top 5 unit.

Agree on his potential. It will take a little time to get him where they want him to be, but he has the skill set that would cost them $100 million in free agency to acquire. I also like the diversity of their defensive backfield, as they have the safeties to cover TE’s, and the Jones triplets to deal with the shorter super quick receivers like Hill, Waddle, Zay Flowers, and others they will have to face. This could turn into an elite defensive backfield. And while their offense isn’t going to be putting up 30 on a regular basis, their defense could very well be a top 5 unit.
I think we were a top 5 unit last season... and your right they project to be there again.. I believe we are right on parr with the jets defensively.. as you said our defensive backfield could be elite.

Jack Jones, Marcus, Jon, Dugger, peppers, Phillips.. Gonzalez.. that is a great group.

We have so many guys with different skill sets.. it's great to have that especially where scoring is priority in the NFL. Now on offense that is where I feel like we could be back to a 2021 offense or a bit better.. in 2021 we ranked top 10 in scoring, and top 5 in red zone efficiency.. those 2 stats are very important becuase it usually means the team is scoring points. Less FGs more points I'm expecting this season. Your also right it definitely would cost them 100 million in FA to ger a talent like Gonzalez.. I'm of the mind that the patriots are going to maximize all thier young players while on thier rookie deals then pick n choose who they want to pay when contract comes to end.. I'm expecting Gonzalez to be an all pro by then.

I think we were a top 5 unit last season... and your right they project to be there again.. I believe we are right on parr with the jets defensively.. as you said our defensive backfield could be elite.

Jack Jones, Marcus, Jon, Dugger, peppers, Phillips.. Gonzalez.. that is a great group.

We have so many guys with different skill sets.. it's great to have that especially where scoring is priority in the NFL. Now on offense that is where I feel like we could be back to a 2021 offense or a bit better.. in 2021 we ranked top 10 in scoring, and top 5 in red zone efficiency.. those 2 stats are very important becuase it usually means the team is scoring points. Less FGs more points I'm expecting this season. Your also right it definitely would cost them 100 million in FA to ger a talent like Gonzalez.. I'm of the mind that the patriots are going to maximize all thier young players while on thier rookie deals then pick n choose who they want to pay when contract comes to end.. I'm expecting Gonzalez to be an all pro by then.
I would include Mills as part of our great secondary core of 8.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230514_083658_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20230514_083658_Samsung Internet.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 3

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 5/7: News and Notes
What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Back