PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

DRAFT Christian Gonzalez

Good interview with Christian's college HC. You can read the article or watch the video for the full interview:

One takeaway from that article is that he's a pro in attitude. Business-like, film study, plays well because he practices well. Not a braggart.

The Patriots drafted that in round 2, as well, and possibly in round 3.

Both Gonzo and White were taken lower than they expected. Both are more interested in playing than boasting. Both are serious.

In addition to the better athleticism, I see a trend here for the Pats regarding people who could be true locker room leaders. Fingers crossed.

Also, if Gonzo comes as advertised, Jack, Jon, and Marcus are going to have an easier time of it. This defense, to me, looks like it's on the cusp of great. (Please go trade for Devon White)

One takeaway from that article is that he's a pro in attitude. Business-like, film study, plays well because he practices well. Not a braggart.

Both Gonzo and White were taken lower than they expected. Both are more interested in playing than boasting. Both are serious.

In addition to the better athleticism, I see a trend here for the Pats regarding people who could be true locker room leaders. Fingers crossed.

Also, if Gonzo comes as advertised, Jack, Jon, and Marcus are going to have an easier time of it. This defense, to me, looks like it's on the cusp of great. (Please go trade for Devon White)
Absolutely agree 100%.. gonzo feels special to me.. he'll be with a great group of vets to help him along, and with his natural abilities, instincts to lock up guys all while he's learning.

Absolutely big on Devon white.. we should be in on him..

I don't know if this has been posted yet.

I saw this. Was going to @pazrul72 bc it's a perfect example of why you can't believe everything Bill says. What do you believe? Actions or Words? Bill drafts for need as much if not more than anyone in the league. Too many examples to name.

Not a bad thing but theres too many examples to choose from. Maybe they coincide, I'm sure they do but need plays a huge factor in our picks.

I saw this. Was going to @pazrul72 bc it's a perfect example of why you can't believe everything Bill says. What do you believe? Actions or Words? Bill drafts for need as much if not more than anyone in the league. Too many examples to name.

Not a bad thing but theres too many examples to choose from. Maybe they coincide, I'm sure they do but need plays a huge factor in our picks.

I think there's a general confusion when it comes to the term "need" (or just different people using different interpretations so they've arguing two different things). They've always drafted for "need", but that can mean need in year 1, or need in years 2+. Generally, the further into the draft you go, the more you're drafting for future need rather than immediate, because there's no guarantee (even on picks that hit) that they're going to be regular contributors in year 1.

In the case of Gonzalez, I think they were drafting for 2023 need. But for guys like Sow, Mafi, Andrews, etc, they're still "need" picks, but more for 2024 and beyond.

Gonzalez was a need in R1, but I think White and Mapu in R2 and R3 were BPA, not a need. If they were drafting for need I think it would have been OT.

I must be missing something. I listened to the interview and he said you draft good football players more then strictly for need based on getting banks when they already had Taylor. I got the impression he was making the comparison "we already had a great secondary why did they take this guy?" And the reason is he was the best on the board. I find his actions match his words, IMO LT was a WAY bigger need then CB and he passed on one of the last potentially great ones for gonzo. Obviously I'm not Bill and Idk what's going on in his mind but the narrative you draft the player not the position plays out that he likes gonzo or Forbes? The CB Washington took better then Broderick

There is now a premium on good guards. Belichick saw it long before many other coaches. We have lighter DTs in the game now because everything is so pass heavy. Pressure comes up the middle more than it ever has before. Guard play last year was awful all over the NFL. Really good teams like the Bills and Bengals suffered from it. The Rams had an entire season implode because of it.

You need guards.

Taking a couple in the 4th round is a smart idea.

With you all the way on trading for D white.. gonzo I've said this since we drafted him.. he feels too me like a humble superstar in the making. The vets have raved about his abilities and athleticism. How he was studying film on WRs.. I had heard Ty law reached out to him. If that's the case perfect!! With the uncertainty surrounding Jack QBs will test him early. It's likely gonzo and Jon are on the outside and Marcus is in the slot. If he can get QBs to stay away from his side early on then the better! We need gonzo to be great, and this defense can be dominant!

Need has always been part of the Pats BPA formula. It's always the BPA on their draft list. The tough decision comes when they have guys who's rating on the board are the same. Those decisions we never hear about until much later. Sometimes years later. As was the case with the Maroney/Jackson picks in 2006 where we learned that the Scouts didn't want them, but McDaniels did. Harry was also a McDaniels pick. BB probably hoped that McDaniels player evaluation skills had improved. Clearly they hadn't.

This year's draft was not great for OTs. My feeling is that none of the "top" OTs will become All-Pros. My take is that most think they'll be serviceable to above average. (Big) IF the Pats felt the same way, then none of the OTs would have been rated higher than Forbes or Gonzalez. The Pats don't skip a player on their board to take a player they have rated lower just because people think the need is higher. They're not going to skip a player they have rated as a 10A to take an 8C player.

People saying that LT was a need are correct. It was/is. What you may not want to hear/consider is that the Patriots felt that Calvin Anderson was as good or better than the left tackles in the draft. Why would the Pats draft someone who they felt was only as good as Calvin Anderson? I'm not saying that is the case, but it is a very plausible scenario.

They realized “big” CB was a need last year after Jalen Mills got hurt. It was even more evident this offseason because DMC retired and Mills was the obvious candidate to take over his FS job.

Keion White was a need… there is always a need for pass rush and Uche is going to be a free agent.

Mapu was a need, Dugger is going to be a free agent and they needed a weak side linebacker last year because Raekwon and Mack Wilson weren’t athletic or fast enough. Whether Dugger re-signs or not, it was a need.

Mafi and Jake Andrews were needs, Onwenu is going to be a free agent and David Andrews is starting to break down.

You can look at any teams free agent list for the subsequent season and pretty accurately predict which positions they will draft. It’s best player available at positions of need… no team can afford to stockpile ten WR’s, there are only 53 man rosters and teams have to fill needs.

And yes, the Patriots drafted an offensive tackle in Sidy Sow. It doesn’t matter whether you think he is or not, he was playing at tackle entirely during OTA’s, played there before in college and has the prerequisite length and athleticism to do so now.

They drafted a tackle, it may not be the one you wanted, but he’ll probably be better than the one you wanted anyhow.

Gonzalez is the X factor on D. If he pans out, the defense takes a step forward. If he doesn't, they are back to square one not being able to compete against top offenses.

Gonzalez is the X factor on D. If he pans out, the defense takes a step forward. If he doesn't, they are back to square one not being able to compete against top offenses.
Definitely.. after seeing Duke Dawson, cryrus Jones, joeun Williams all draft bust. It feels like gonzo is the real deal. For the life of me can someone match up with Diggs!!!

Definitely.. after seeing Duke Dawson, cryrus Jones, joeun Williams all draft bust. It feels like gonzo is the real deal. For the life of me can someone match up with Diggs!!!
Once they figure out how to slow down Diggs and Allen on the ground, the Bills will have a hard time moving the ball.

Once they figure out how to slow down Diggs and Allen on the ground, the Bills will have a hard time moving the ball.
The defensive front it good enough to slow them on the ground.... it's the 3rd and 8s and 9s they give up that break down defenses against Allen. Probably the best example of this was that play off beat down. Bills took out all thier aggression on us for years of us dominating..

The defensive front it good enough to slow them on the ground.... it's the 3rd and 8s and 9s they give up that break down defenses against Allen. Probably the best example of this was that play off beat down. Bills took out all thier aggression on us for years of us dominating..
The Bills definitely treat New England like it’s a playoff game, every time we play they bring their best.

The Bills definitely treat New England like it’s a playoff game, every time we play they bring their best.
Yes I'll agree with that.. it was just frustrating last few seasons that we had a wannabe #1 in JC Jackson who is a great ball hawk but disappeared far to often against teams #1s.

Gonzo has all the traits you'd want in a lock down corner.. he just had to keep doing what he's doing.. learning from the vets and listening to the coaching.

Very solid showing from Gonzalez in a tough debut matchup. Clearly has more physicality than he was given credit for predraft.
Agree. Brown lost him a couple of times but we are talking about one of the best WRs in football.

He did just fine.

Agree. Brown lost him a couple of times but we are talking about one of the best WRs in football.

He did just fine.
If not the best.. IMO this was probably the toughest test for the defense this season. As good as Diggs or Wilson is. They don't present the physicality brown does. Tough test next week.. Miami put up Madden numbers yesterday

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back