I heard 10,000 whispering and nobody listening
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Cardinals will franchise Jones, so as of now, here is the breakdown:

Arizona Cardinals

Chandler Jones 2016, 2017 seasons
Cost: $8M in 2016, $15M in 2017

Total: Jones two seasons, $23M

*Jones salary jumped from about 2.5M to 8M from 2015 to 2016, so the Patriots had him at at a discount while the Cardinals paid about 3x for the same player. $15M is appproximate franchise number.

New England Patriots

Chris Long, 2016 season
Cost: 2.5M

(Second Round Pick Traded for 3rd and 4th)

Joe Thuney 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019 seasons
Cost: 3M

Malcolm Mitchell 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019 seasons
Cost: $3M

Total: Long one season, Thuney four seasons, Mitchell four seasons, (OVERALL 9 seasons), 8.5M

****BONUS****

Trey Flowers 2016, 2017, 2018 will cost about $2M. Is there anyone who would even want Jones over Flowers even for the same price? Even if you add Flowers' salary, which wasn't part of the deal, that's three more years of production (bringing the total to 12), all for half the price of 2 years of Chandler Jones.

Buh buh buh but who will pass rush? This defense has no way to get to the quarterback :)

The "wisdom" of this deal was dependent in large part on hitting with the draft picks. That aside imagine my excitement, when after being thoroughly convinced this was the right move, I learn there's a Trey Flowers "bonus".

I agree with the above. I'd also rather Flowers over Jones.

It would have been interesting to see the two play together especially since they are different players (Flowers rushes from the DT spot a decent amount).

They would have been our best pass rush duo in a long time. Hopefully we can get someone across Flowers in the draft.

It would have been interesting to see the two play together especially since they are different players (Flowers rushes from the DT spot a decent amount).

They would have been our best pass rush duo in a long time. Hopefully we can get someone across Flowers in the draft.

Yeah they would have complemented each other perfectly. Jones with the stats padding early season sacks and then being able to unleash Flowers in crunch time when Jones did his traditional disappearing act would have kept our pass rush production stable over the season.

:rolleyes:

Jones left just before mass made pot legal....poor guy....and its obvious, Kraft doesn't want to pay....:rolleyes:

Jones was the guy who moved inside to the DT spot when he was here.
They play essentially the exact same role.

I think this was an easy move by BB after Jones went loopy on synthetic marijuana and his two brothers tested positive for PEDs

Compare these 2017 cap hits for Arizona vs NE
QB #1..........$24.125 mill vs. $14.000 mill
WR #1........$15.850 mill vs. $5.750 mill (JE)
CB #1.........$13.707 mill vs. TBD or approximately $4 mill RFA contract(Butler)
DE #1.........$15.000 mill vs TBD or ($755K Flowers, $2.350 mill Ninkovich, FA ?)

$68 mill vs as low as $26 mill (all $$$ subject to renegotiation)

With respect to the cap... I know the Pats have some decisions to make, but as I look at things, I see Brady with a $14m hit in 2017, and then $22m in 2018 and 2019. They have a TON of cap room right now. I wonder if they could restructure with the idea being that they pay Brady a ton NOW, but lessen the cap hit moving forward, so that if/when they get to a point where he can't be effective anymore, it won't be like paying a guy $25m to be bad. Just a thought.

With respect to the cap... I know the Pats have some decisions to make, but as I look at things, I see Brady with a $14m hit in 2017, and then $22m in 2018 and 2019. They have a TON of cap room right now. I wonder if they could restructure with the idea being that they pay Brady a ton NOW, but lessen the cap hit moving forward, so that if/when they get to a point where he can't be effective anymore, it won't be like paying a guy $25m to be bad. Just a thought.
I was thinking the same thing, give him an extra $15 million this year ($34 or so million total?) and go from there. Of course I say this thinking the $60 million they have available can go forever, and I should know better.

Any unused money from this years cap can simply be rolled over to next year anyway. So simply not spending $15m this year accomplishes the same thing while increasing the Patriots flexibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back