PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

CFB National Championship: Alabama vs. Clemson

Status
Not open for further replies.
He could develop, but he didn't belong being a QB in this year's championship game.
100 percent agree. They're defense obviously carried them and the majority of sec offenses aren't built to beat Alabama

It's too bad Kiffin didn't go down with that ship.

Dear Mr. Fantasy..Stevie Winwood/Traffic

I was not impressed with Bama's offense against Washington, that QB can't read ****, I didn't bet on this game but I told some friends that Clemson +6 was the play last night.

That was an exciting game.

Question because I don't watch college FB that much. Was the pick on the game winning TD legal?

What is funny is that last year, Clemson beat Notre Dame as that same exact play was called a pick against Notre Dame!

What is funny is that last year, Clemson beat Notre Dame as that same exact play was called a pick against Notre Dame!

It was FSU-ND the year Mr. Crab Legs won the Heisman, but you are correct. It was the same play.

Just watched the game replay this morning ( hey I can't stay up that late) and several things hit me....
1) Bama's defense was out there for nearly 100 snaps which had to be way more than they had to face all season and I wonder if they just weren't gassed in the 4th quarter. They showed the stat of only 4 drives of 80 yards out of 192 all season before last night and that 4th quarter was not the Bama defense we saw all season....
2) I found my binkie for next year, Clemsons LG #51 Taylor Hearn 6'5" 330 who has played LT.. Watch him on the last few drives and he was manhandling the Bama guys... He's red shirt sophomore, worth watching, especially if they move him out to tackle next year.....
3) sure looked like a pick play...twice.
4) Ref went to the Hoculi school of guns..without the verbosity............

Loved the little white guy scoring the winning TD.....ala the Edelman and WW....

Some Alabama players came up small tonight cam Robinson and Tim Williams were horrible. Don't see them doing much in the pros(not just because of tonight) Allen I think can be good but he was invisible too

Ryan Anderson just climbed to the top of my binky list. And Reuben Foster's been there all year.

The final scoring play was familiar... It was 2 on 2. Renfrow got jammed by the defender, Renfrow jammed him back, right into the other defender. Then when Renfrow released, the back guy was supposed to follow him but was a step late because of the collision with his own man.

That was essentially an inside-out version of the Seattle-New England Malcolm Butler INT, but in that instance the defensive back for the Pats (Brandon Browner) held his jam and didn't get pushed back into his teammate Butler's way, so Butler could undercut the route (an inside route rather than an outside route).

I haven't watched a replay, but that seems accurate to what I saw live. The only ways to prevent it are to stop the jam (what Browner did), pressure the passer so that he can't get a lane to make the throw, or just grab Renfrow since Clemson might then settle for the tying FG, with one second left.

Alabama lost because they didn't have a QB. How did Saban let that happen?

I don't know if this was a rhetorical question or not, but let me pretend like it wasn't and try to answer it, I'm not a fanatic Alabama fan like I am with the Pats, but I follow them (they are just up the road from me). I think that Saban was trying to adapt to the times this year, just like BB does so frequently.

Saban has always emphasized game control and not turning the ball over. Thus, he has gravitated toward "ball control" type of smart quarterbacks that don't turn the ball over. A.J. McCarron (now with the Bengals), then little regarded (but experienced, being a fifth year seniors I believe) Black Sims and Jake Coker.

This year, Saban really had a plethora of riches at QB. 4-star Junior Cooper Bateman was the 3rd ranked pocket passer (PP) coming out of high school. 4-star sophomore David Cornwall was the 4th ranked PP the next year. And, Saban's recruiting triumph, 5-star redshirt freshman Blake Barnett, the #1 ranked PP coming out that year, and universally considered a future star. All of this talent was in the mix for QB this year for Alabama, and the battle was considered to be between the experienced Bateman and the superstar-to-be Barnett. Just a bunch of QB talent, albeit inexperienced.

Hardly anyone noticed this unheralded (13 ranked dual threat passer) 17 year old true freshman who enrolled early last spring. Son of a coach. Unbelievably mature and poised. Unusually strong, a regional finalist at powerlifting and district champion in shot putt (normally the type of thing giant linemen do). He started raising eyebrows when he played Deshaun Watson for the scout team before last year's championship and the first team defense couldn't consistently stop him. The rest is history, Saban shocked everybody (including me) by starting a true freshman over all of those other talented QB's on his roster.

Hurts didn't have a great game throwing (compared to most of his games this year), but let's not lose sight that this is a guy who turned 18 last August playing in the National Championship game. I would argue he did what Saban wanted him to: he didn't turn the ball over (heck, it seemed like half of his passes were throw aways to avoid a sack or interception). Clemson (and Washington in the previous game) are known for creating turnovers and interceptions and I think Saban shorted the lease significantly for Hurts in both games. And, he passed for 133 yards and a TD and ran for 63 yards and a TD, which would have won the game against most opponents with Alabama's running game.

In another couple of years I actually think that Hurts is going to be a Heisman trophy candidate, I think he could be really, really good. Kind of like a smaller but more poised and mature version of Cam Newton, I make the comparison because of running ability, arm strength, and overall body strength.

Last edited:
But that kid is terrible. I haven't thrown a pass under live fire in more than 10 years, and I'd have been a better choice.

Have you watched him in all of his games this year? You really think you would be a better choice under center yesterday? ;)

The final scoring play was familiar... It was 2 on 2. Renfrow got jammed by the defender, Renfrow jammed him back, right into the other defender. Then when Renfrow released, the back guy was supposed to follow him but was a step late because of the collision with his own man.

That was essentially an inside-out version of the Seattle-New England Malcolm Butler INT, but in that instance the defensive back for the Pats (Brandon Browner) held his jam and didn't get pushed back into his teammate Butler's way, so Butler could undercut the route (an inside route rather than an outside route).

I haven't watched a replay, but that seems accurate to what I saw live. The only ways to prevent it are to stop the jam (what Browner did), pressure the passer so that he can't get a lane to make the throw, or just grab Renfrow since Clemson might then settle for the tying FG, with one second left.

They ran the play twice down there and it worked both times. And Saban is friends with BB. Obviously someone did not pick up the coaching as well as Butler and Browner - if they were coached. They should have tackled all the receivers - apparently Chip Kelly did that vs the Saints this year with success.

Hurts didn't have a great game throwing (compared to most of his games this year), but let's not lose sight that this is a guy who turned 18 last August playing in the National Championship game.

His age couldn't possibly be more irrelevant to the discussion. He sucks, and he didn't belong on the field. What he might be down the road isn't going to undo what he was last night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News