PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

CFB National Championship: Alabama vs. Clemson

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't even think 2013 Florida state is even on the list

And they definitely should be. But the '01 Hurricanes being that low is a bad joke. That was one of the more athletically dominating teams I've ever seen.

And they definitely should be. But the '01 Hurricanes being that low is a bad joke. That was one of the more athletically dominating teams I've ever seen.

Wasn't the 02 Miami team basically the same players as the 01 team? The 01 Miami team is def top 10 all time in my opinion. Destroyed everyone except va tech

But that kid is terrible. I haven't thrown a pass under live fire in more than 10 years, and I'd have been a better choice.

I can read a defense.
I can throw with accuracy.

That puts me 2 up on the RB playing under center for 'bama

Did you watch him this year? Jalen Hurts

So a QB that threw for 2780 yards with 23 TD's and 9 INT and just took his team to the national championship game "sucks" because he only passed for 133 yds and a TD (with no turnovers) in that said game. Plus, posters on this board could do a better job.

....I think it is time for me to get to work and quit goofing off, I still have classes to teach and it will be difficult to do if I injure myself by literally banging my head against the wall (as opposed to figuratively doing so here). ;)

So a QB that threw for 2780 yards with 23 TD's and 9 INT and just took his team to the national championship game "sucks" because he only passed for 133 yds and a TD (with no turnovers) in that said game. Plus, posters on this board could do a better job.

....I think it is time for me to get to work and quit goofing off, I still have classes to teach and it will be difficult to do if I injure myself by literally banging my head against the wall (as opposed to figuratively doing so here). ;)

The kid is inept on 3rd and long. He's a limited thrower, and that's expected considering he's a freshman. 23 TDs and 9 picks in college isn't good.

Skipping to page 20 so excuse me if it's been discussed already. I never watch college football, just caught a recap of the game. Why is Clemson's game-winning TD not OPI, and is it OPI in the NFL?

I evaluate college players based upon talent, as best I can. I try to avoid evaluating college players based upon inflated numbers racked up in the uneven world of CFB. You can go look up my past posts in the draft forum (although I didn't really post there last year and probably won't this year either) if you want to evaluate my ability to get it right.

As for taking his team to the national championship game... Come on.

Skipping to page 20 so excuse me if it's been discussed already. I never watch college football, just caught a recap of the game. Why is Clemson's game-winning TD not OPI, and is it OPI in the NFL?

Woukdnt have been OPI in the pros. it was textbook.

I think the rule is the same in both. Obviously blocking the defender of another receiver is OPI. Causing another defender to impede a defender is where it gets murky. Push the guy and that will be called - see FSU-ND 2 years ago. Come together while running a route without a definite push - probably not called. Judgement call.

With respect, I think the defense took that team to a national title game. I'll put it this way, if AJ McCarron were still the QB, then Bama wins by 2+ scores last night. Hurts failed to generate a first down on like 11 straight possessions or something absurd. Still, he has a chance to develop in the future.

With respect, I think the defense took that team to a national title game. I'll put it this way, if AJ McCarron were still the QB, then Bama wins by 2+ scores last night. Hurts failed to generate a first down on like 11 straight possessions or something absurd. Still, he has a chance to develop in the future.

I'm not sure about the two score part because I have an extremely high opinion of the Clemson football team (which seems to be Alabama's kryptonite), but I agree that AJ McCarron would have given Alabama a better chance to win, if nothing else because he played so well on the biggest stages in National Championship Games.

I'm just pushing back on those posters who say Hurts "sucks" and is a pile of crap based on watching the past two games. I've watched him all year. He is a very good football player and he beat out some very good quarterbacks to win the starting job at Alabama, including the top rated QB in the previous year's high school class (who has now transferred). He had two semi-lousy ("semi" because he didn't turn the ball over) games against Washington and Clemson where he didn't throw for many yards, although he still ran well. He has been almost inhumanly poised and confident for a freshman during this year, bringing Alabama back several times in difficult situations. Unfortunately this seemed to be different, although you couldn't see it on his face, I think he lost a bit of that confidence in the Championship game.

However....just wait until he gets a little more experience, I think he will be special. Just my opinion.

I evaluate college players based upon talent, as best I can. I try to avoid evaluating college players based upon inflated numbers racked up in the uneven world of CFB. You can go look up my past posts in the draft forum (although I didn't really post there last year and probably won't this year either) if you want to evaluate my ability to get it right.

As for taking his team to the national championship game... Come on.

Deus, for the record, I consider you to often be an insightful poster on football in general, and Patriot football in particular. With some exceptions, I have found your posts to be interesting and informative. I admit that there have been times in the past when a Patriots event happens and I wonder "what will Deus say?". ;)

However, occasionally you go over the top a bit, perhaps just to stir the pot (or an argument) a bit. Maybe it is for humor purposes, or maybe not. Well, I guess I'm game for a few minutes (only), let's play. :D

You say "I try to avoid evaluating college players based on inflated numbers racked up in the uneven world of CFB". Well then, how do you evaluate players if not on their college play, unless you are a big combine number believer? To stir the pot myself a bit, you have understood TB's greatness better than most on this site, and how wins and losses (and lack of turnovers) is more important than throwing for a ton of yards. Why don't you appreciate these factors in the college game?

Saying that "But that kid is terrible. I haven't thrown a pass under live fire in more than 10 years, and I'd have been a better choice." I would ask you again, do you really mean that?

Similarly, I would also ask you again, have you watched this kid this year in all of his games, as I have? I agree that he had a couple of semi-lousy games throwing the ball against Washington and Clemson, but even then he avoided turnovers and still ran the ball well. And for the rest of the year, he was undefeated until the Championship Game. That really doesn't matter?

You really think you would be a better choice under center? Maybe I am missing the joke. I guess I would like to see your "Come On" and make it a "Cmon" squared (grammar was never my strong suit). :D

Its either legal because it was within 5 yards of the line of scrimage where contact is aloud, or it was legal because the QB was out of the pocket when he threw the ball, so its essentially a running play with blocking down field.

I had the same exact thought when I saw the play, I rarely see another receiver just tackle a DB in the NFL in the end zone.

Probably because DB's would smell out exactly what they were going to do and just switch up.

I can read a defense.
I can throw with accuracy.

That puts me 2 up on the RB playing under center for 'bama

I agree 100%. Hurts is a joke as a qb and he cost Alabama a national championship.

Saban has an unlimited recruiting budget, boosters that will give up organs let alone boatloads of cash at the drop of a hat and his pick of all the high school players in the country and hurts is the best he can do?

Come on nick. You can do better!

I agree 100%. Hurts is a joke as a qb and he cost Alabama a national championship.

Saban has an unlimited recruiting budget, boosters that will give up organs let alone boatloads of cash at the drop of a hat and his pick of all the high school players in the country and hurts is the best he can do?

Come on nick. You can do better!

He is only a freshmen.. a robotic person though.

I'm not sure about the two score part because I have an extremely high opinion of the Clemson football team (which seems to be Alabama's kryptonite), but I agree that AJ McCarron would have given Alabama a better chance to win, if nothing else because he played so well on the biggest stages in National Championship Games.

I'm just pushing back on those posters who say Hurts "sucks" and is a pile of crap based on watching the past two games. I've watched him all year. He is a very good football player and he beat out some very good quarterbacks to win the starting job at Alabama, including the top rated QB in the previous year's high school class (who has now transferred). He had two semi-lousy ("semi" because he didn't turn the ball over) games against Washington and Clemson where he didn't throw for many yards, although he still ran well. He has been almost inhumanly poised and confident for a freshman during this year, bringing Alabama back several times in difficult situations. Unfortunately this seemed to be different, although you couldn't see it on his face, I think he lost a bit of that confidence in the Championship game.

However....just wait until he gets a little more experience, I think he will be special. Just my opinion.

Hurts won the job over a bum. If Barnett was any good he wouldn't have lost his job. I watched a lot of Alabama games all year, if you couldn't tell he was a limited thrower, than I'm not sure what you are seeing. He's a below average right now as a passer. So i say hurts sucks as a passer, it's not on his past two games, it's on the whole season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 5/10: News and Notes
MORSE: Draft Analysis and Thoughts on Patriots Rookie Mini Camp
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/9: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/8: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 5/7: News and Notes
What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
Back