PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Central Thread For Mourning/Canonizing Jimmy Garoppolo

Some fools on espn were speculating Belichick is so pissed this that this trade is deliberate sabotage and that he might be considering leaving. They called the trade like Red Sox trading Babe Ruth bad. It is starting to annoy me enough to not wish Jimmy success. (Though I love seeing him do well)

Based on what? 6 quarters of football? Jimmy G's good looks? Your feelings? I would assume the Pats negotiate the best deal for themselves.
They would have gotten more in the offseason, for starters. And San Francisco said it fell into their laps and it took them all of ten minutes to agree when the Pats came knocking.

I think it might have been smarter for the Patriots to have negotiated for, say, an hour before finalizing the deal.

If you consider McCaron was going to be traded for a second and a third and all the other trades for starting QBs and what the market for them is, yes we didn't get market value.

But i also understand people can't come to grips with criticizing this team because of all the success they've had so i take it with a grain of salt when people put their head in the sand.

I can and have criticized this team plenty of times. I won’t do it for this because there is nothing to criticize.

If my GM had gone after a guy like Garoppolo for a first round pick I would hope he is immediately relieved of his duties as GM.

You know, sometimes employers just may do things that benefit an employee. JG probably won over a lot of fans at Pats Place and while the team would have loved to keep him they probably factored in what might be a little better for him long term if they moved him.

Revisiting this again (100th time?), maybe they could have gotten more from Cleveland but they may have thought it was a lot better for JG to be in a better system with better coaching etc. There is nothing wrong with the Patriots taking this into consideration. I would have loved 2 firsts if we could have gotten it. But that may have never been an option.

I am not sure what the big deal is since JG has the right to go out and make a great living. They were not moving the GOAT. Why screw JG and make him a backup - if that was even possible and it probably was not given $$

Its all academic at this point.

Why cant people just be happy for the guy and focus on what we have instead of this "What did we get out of this" myopic narcissistic stance that the Patriots owe you anything.

Winners congratulate and are happy for other winners
Losers wonder what they get out of everything and what could have been.

If 5 games make Jimmy G a “ franchise QB” then RGIII and Colin Kaepernick are Hall of Famers.
Did you see anywhere in my quote that I said he was?

Did you see anywhere in my quote that I said he was?

It sure looked like you were talking about Garrapolo when you said “ franchise QBs don’t grow on trees”

If not who were you talking about?

I never saw RGIII or Kaep look one way and in an instant throw the ball the other for an instant completion or throw darts between 3 defenders or throw bullets with guys barreling in on them. Jimmy's looking like Joe Montana out there. Can you imagine the niners trading away Young or the Packers trading away Rodgers.

I have a feeling this came from the very top and was a sentimental move to keep Brady a Patriot till he retires. But it was the wrong move. You don't see guys very often come out with that lightning quick release. Jimmy's like a Jedi Knight out there.

If you consider McCaron was going to be traded for a second and a third and all the other trades for starting QBs and what the market for them is, yes we didn't get market value.

2 reasons why that was

#1 McCarron is a restricted FA. Garoppolo is an unrestricted FA. Meaning Browns could have slapped a 1st or 2nd tender on him and have him for 2018 for a $2m-$4m cap hit. 49ers will have to sign Garoppolo to an extension or franchise him for $25m+ or they basically give up a 2nd round pick for a guy to play 5 games.

#2 It was an in-division trade so of course it's going to cost above market

So using McCarron is a bad example given that different elements were involved.
A lot more risk in trading for Garoppolo than McCarron.

Browns are flush with draft picks for 2018. They hold Houston's 1st round pick and 2nd round pick and Philadelphia's 2nd round pick. They could have very well been trading the Houston 2nd round pick, which they got for getting Osweiler.

So vastly different circumstances in the Garropolo trade and potential McCarron trade.

Now with that trade falling apart. Bengals can slap a 1st round tender on McCarron which would cost them no more than a $5m cap hit, which if that happens and the Browns want him they gotta give up the #1 overall pick.

Last edited:
I never saw RGIII or Kaep look one way and in an instant throw the ball the other for an instant completion or throw darts between 3 defenders or throw bullets with guys barreling in on them. Jimmy's looking like Joe Montana out there. Can you imagine the niners trading away Young or the Packers trading away Rodgers.

I have a feeling this came from the very top and was a sentimental move to keep Brady a Patriot till he retires. But it was the wrong move. You don't see guys very often come out with that lightning quick release. Jimmy's like a Jedi Knight out there.

He’s better than a Jedi Knight, he’s more like a GOD. The greatest player ever without any doubt.

It sure looked like you were talking about Garrapolo when you said “ franchise QBs don’t grow on trees”

If not who were you talking about?
The one that the poster I quoted blithely assumed we'd draft, no problem.

Note: I DO thinks there's a good chance JG will prove to be one, but that wasn't the point.

Place for talking about non Patriots players is ——> NFL Football Forum

IMHO sour Grapes talk fits fine here. He's a special non-Pats player.

I feel like I'm lucky when it comes to JG. I was never going to see him replace Brady, but now I can watch JG some before I dump the NYFL when Brady's done.

But i also understand people can't come to grips with criticizing this team because of all the success they've had so i take it with a grain of salt when people put their head in the sand.

And McCarron couldn't even beat out Andy Dalton o_O

The one that the poster I quoted blithely assumed we'd draft, no problem.

Note: I DO thinks there's a good chance JG will prove to be one, but that wasn't the point.

Fair enough.

2 reasons why that was

#1 McCarron is a restricted FA. Garoppolo is an unrestricted FA. Meaning Browns could have slapped a 1st or 2nd tender on him and have him for 2018 for a $2m-$4m cap hit. 49ers will have to sign Garoppolo to an extension or franchise him for $25m+ or they basically give up a 2nd round pick for a guy to play 5 games.

#2 It was an in-division trade so of course it's going to cost above market

So using McCarron is a bad example given that different elements were involved.
A lot more risk in trading for Garoppolo than McCarron.

Browns are flush with draft picks for 2018. They hold Houston's 1st round pick and 2nd round pick and Philadelphia's 2nd round pick. They could have very well have been trading the Houston 2nd round pick, which they got for getting Osweiler.

So vastly different circumstances in the Garropolo trade and potential McCarron trade.

Now with that trade falling apart. Bengals can slap a 1st round tender on McCarron which would cost them no more than a $5m cap hit, which if that happens and the Browns want him they gotta give up the #1 overall pick.

Lots of mental gymnastics you got going on here. Whatever convinces you lol.

Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Back