PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Central Thread For Mourning/Canonizing Jimmy Garoppolo

All of them were said so yes it should indeed.

Including the idea that the Patriots lost out on a likely franchise QB in JG and probably can’t draft another. You don’t need to look far for that last one.

Like I said. Hilarious...
Look forward to you posting all these examples.

Funny how they never answer that question.

There was one and only one journalist from Cleveland who kept beating the drum again and again that the Browns were offering the #12 overall pick for Garoppolo. She gave no tangible evidence that such an offer was ever on the table and it’s not that hard to figure out why.

Everything else reported was along the lines of “the Browns SHOULD offer the #12”. Which of course is miles away from any conclusion that the Patriots could have done better.

If BB chose the 40 year old with no upside and all downside over the 26 year old with tons of upside... why on earth would any other team feel differently? Or offer a first rounder?

It was answered. What is not going to be done is the silly thing of repeating answers ten times.
Admitting you don’t know isn’t really an answer.

I can think of a team that lost a franchise QB for nothing: San Diego when they let Drew Brees go. That's what happens when a QB becomes a free agent (like Garoppolo was going to be). Is that what you would rather NE had done?

Now that I've answered your question, please answer mine (if you can).

Answer what? I don't know what the Chargers were thinking, but just because they made a mistake doesn't mean that we couldn't have fetched more for Garoppolo.

According to what we know, the Pats called Lynch, offered Jimmy for a second round pick, and the Niners took it right away. Deal happened in 5 minutes according to what has been written about it.

Either Belichick is doing Lynch/Shanahan a favor, or he underestimated what the Niners thought of Jimmy.

If there is one thing we do know about the Garoppolo trade is that we don't know who made the decision or how it was made.

So, saying "Yet BB and Ernie and Nick and the rest of the brain trust felt..." is to express an opinion, which, while it is as valid as any other opinion floating around, can't claim to represent what actually happened, since none of us know what actually happened.

My opinion, no more valid than yours, is that the only people who know how and why this was decided are Robert Kraft, Jonathan Kraft and Bill Belichick.

However, we do agree that it is way too early to know whether this was a good decision or a bad decision. We simply don't have the evidence to come to the conclusion that this was or was not "a mistake."
You are definitely entitled to your opinion. In my defense, the question I was addressing was the one about the amount of compensation, and in that case I think the "brain trust" was involved in at least evaluating the value, but as you say, we don't know for sure who played what role in all of this.

I think it's clear from BB's presser that he did put a lot of thought into every step of the process that led to JG being traded. I personally think he had a lot of executive input from others every step of the way.

Admitting you don’t know isn’t really an answer.
OK, so you don't think they a) lost any value in trade by waiting until midseason, and b) don't think San Francisco saying JG fell into their laps and they agreed to the deal in ten minutes means not much negotiation took place. I disagree.

Last edited:
OK, do you don't think they a) lost any value in trade by waiting until midseason, and b) don't think San Francisco saying JG fell into their laps and they agreed to the deal in ten minutes means not much negotiation took place. I disagree.

You seem pretty passionate about this issue. Have you (or Condon or anyone here for that matter) reached out to the Patriots to let them know your displeasure in "giving away" assets without making a good effort to get proper value in return?

You seem pretty passionate about this issue. Have you (or Condon or anyone here for that matter) reached out to the Patriots to let them know your displeasure in "giving away" assets without making a good effort to get proper value in return?
Passionate about the Pats, sure. Assume we all are.

Passionate about the Pats, sure. Assume we all are.
I think so...with some few troll exceptions.

I am talking about letting the pats know you arent happy with a trade. Some posters here are season ticket holders so I would thik they would be vocal about specific issues etc.

Haha, we're just discussing Pats stuff here. Not really that serious.

BB is still the best HC in the business/all time. Hell, Tavon was picked in the second round and a more useless Jordon Richards as well and we still won 2 SBs after those picks were made.

Jimmy will probably retire before Brady does :)

Haha, we're just discussing Pats stuff here. Not really that serious.

BB is still the best HC in the business/all time. Hell, Tavon was picked in the second round and a more useless Jordon Richards as well and we still won 2 SBs after those picks were made.

Jimmy will probably retire before Brady does :)
Quite possible. Botton line:

When you current franchise QB has not only eclipsed, Williams, Orr, and arguably Bill Russell as Boston sports legend, called by known pats haters as the GOAT FOOTBALL PLAYER, and mentioned in the same breath as Ruth, Gretzky and Jordan - not to mention not really slowing down and in some way improving as a player - you kinda stick with him.

Its just my opinion. I am not going to get into the "we should have gotten more" debate (as is a separate discussion) because there is no way to know all the factors involved in the transaction and alternatives. Its too speculative.

We could have easily got nothing for JG and still had to trade for a backup. Plus winning a SB with another QB would never be as sweet with Brady because of how much the Pats haters hate Brady.

We should be happy JG was not banished to Cleveland and that we have TB12 and more money to spend around him because we dont have to pay a UFA QB along with having a solid backup.

I really see no downside to any of this. Its a win-win all around.

Quite possible. Botton line:

When you current franchise QB has not only eclipsed, Williams, Orr, and arguably Bill Russell as Boston sports legend, called by known pats haters as the GOAT FOOTBALL PLAYER, and mentioned in the same breath as Ruth, Gretzky and Jordan - not to mention not really slowing down and in some way improving as a player - you kinda stick with him.

Its just my opinion. I am not going to get into the "we should have gotten more" debate (as is a separate discussion) because there is no way to know all the factors involved in the transaction and alternatives. Its too speculative.

We could have easily got nothing for JG and still had to trade for a backup. Plus winning a SB with another QB would never be as sweet with Brady because of how much the Pats haters hate Brady.

We should be happy JG was not banished to Cleveland and that we have TB12 and more money to spend around him because we dont have to pay a UFA QB along with having a solid backup.

I really see no downside to any of this. Its a win-win all around.

Eclipsed Russell? You're on crack.

Eclipsed Russell? You're on crack.
First, I said arguable and second I never said TB12 over Russell and I have posts proving it. But when I state that there are several people who tell me that Russell diddnt this, and Russell diddnt that....so I am trying to be objective.

My personally BR is the GOAT team athlete...but there are several here who disagree.

Answer what? I don't know what the Chargers were thinking, but just because they made a mistake doesn't mean that we couldn't have fetched more for Garoppolo.

According to what we know, the Pats called Lynch, offered Jimmy for a second round pick, and the Niners took it right away. Deal happened in 5 minutes according to what has been written about it.
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh..... the media reported it, so it must be true!! :rolleyes:

OK, do you don't think they a) lost any value in trade by waiting until midseason,
I already said those with 20/20 hindsight can make that statement quite easily.
b) don't think San Francisco saying JG fell into their laps and they agreed to the deal in ten minutes means not much negotiation took place. I disagree.
I don't believe for a second the negotiations took 10 minutes.

I already said those with 20/20 hindsight can make that statement quite easily.
I don't believe for a second the negotiations took 10 minutes.
You don't need 20/20 hindsight for that. It's the common sense position that a year of a player is more valuable than part of a year.

And I'd you're going to discount the direct words from people involved in the trade then obviously you're set in your opinion and aren't open to considering anything else, making it pointless to continue.

Everywhere, really.

Should be easy to find and quote a few examples of posters here then saying:

JG is a future HOFer

JG is the definite next Steve Young or Aaron Rodgers

JG is already a franchise QB that the Patriots cannot replace

Feel free to go look, I have seen the Steve Young and Rodgers comparisons a number of times and “ 10 year franchise QB “ repeatedly, including from Volin on WEEI Friday.

You are definitely entitled to your opinion. In my defense, the question I was addressing was the one about the amount of compensation, and in that case I think the "brain trust" was involved in at least evaluating the value, but as you say, we don't know for sure who played what role in all of this.

I think it's clear from BB's presser that he did put a lot of thought into every step of the process that led to JG being traded. I personally think he had a lot of executive input from others every step of the way.
And you are definitely entitled to your opinion, which has every bit as much validity as does mine, since neither of us know what the heck we are talking about.

My opinion is that the "brain trust" would have been involved in evaluating compensation had this ever reached the point where a contract was being considered. But it never did, since Brady was still under contract.

As for the cost of franchising him, had this ever reached the point where that was being considered, there was no need for the involvement of the "brain trust;" my 14 year old can compute that using Google...somewhere around $23 million.

My view remains that this is a decision the details of which only the Krafts and Belichick are knowledgeable.

As for the presser, Belichick is a team player. I would never expect him to say something like, "Bob decided to move Jimmy and I disagreed, but he's the boss." I would expect BB to do exactly what he did if he had disagreed: present a credible, united front to the outside world.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Back