PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Celtics trade Isaiah Thomas, Brooklyn 2018 pick & players for Kyrie Irving

Not much of a basketball fan, although, a) I would typically lean towards the Celtics, and b) have always thought Kyrie Irving was an incredible talent & very fun to watch.

So this is an intriguing move to me.

IT is only 28 YO - not 30 as some have mentioned. I think the biggest issue was the max contract and Ainge had zero interest in going there with him. Plus IT would be too old/brittle by the time the kids start reaching their potential. The Nets pick is what bother me. Some high potential Bigs in the 2018 draft. Went from rooting against them to for them.

Danny makes a lot of really stupid decisions. This is one of them. This team, whether with Irving or Thomas, is not ready to beat the Warriors, even if it gets lucky enough to get by the Cavs. Getting the big was what was needed against Golden State, and Ainge just flushed that opportunity down the drain.

This is great analysis if it were still 1996 when 'bigs' still had the ability to affect an NBA game.

If you put it that way, you swapped elite PGs, one of him was 5 years older, is damaged goods and was a total liability on the defensive end (not that Irving is a great defender but he's also not 5'6) .

In all honesty Irving is probably a decent upgrade over IT, but not nearly enough IMO to be the difference maker for a title run.

Crowder and that brooklyn pick were our two most valuable remaining assets outside of IT, and we just handed them to our rival as well as our chance to pull off another huge trade that COULD have been the potential difference maker

So this guy Ainge didnt think an elite big (which the team needs more than anything) like george or butler was worth trading the brooklyn pick and key starters for, but trading for a point guard that does the same thing that our best player already does somehow IS worthy of that trade? Thats some logic right there..
Um...if you're calling Butler and George 'elite bigs' you have a pretty ...unique view of basketball.

In all honesty Irving is probably a decent upgrade over IT, but not nearly enough IMO to be the difference maker for a title run.

Crowder and that brooklyn pick were our two most valuable remaining assets outside of IT, and we just handed them to our rival as well as our chance to pull off another huge trade that COULD have been the potential difference maker
Eh. Crowder isn't much more than a JAG.

Who he meant someone in the draft? Thought he was advocating for a trade for a big
The only one out there is AD, and I doubt he's going anywhere for at least a couple more years. And you'd probably have to strip the team to get him

In a few years Danny completely rebuilt this team into a title contender.

I understand he gave up a lot in the trade, but he didn't give up a lot to acquire the pieces that got Kyrie Irving.

If either Brown or Tatum develop into a superstar, they will win a title.

The basketball merits of this trade is hard to disentangle from the feeling that Thomas is the most lovable player in the league. It's like clubbing a baby seal.

If we asked ourselves "would Belichick have made this trade"? I think the answer is yes.

sorry, but this is a stupid deal for the Celtics..

The word now is that Boston made the trade because they believe that they will be able to sign him to an extension without issue, and that Kyrie has already said he is thrilled and wants to do so.

If Kyrie signs an extension, it really swings the deal in our direction, IMHO. We're giving up a lot, but if we get Kyrie under control for several more years, things look a whole lot better. There's a reason why Kyrie was #1 overall and IT4 was #30. IT4's come a long way, but Kyrie has been there all along, is younger, and is healthier. In the NBA, superstars matter, and now we've got a bona-fide superstar on our team.

The Ringer's piece mentioned that this also is being seen as a salary dump for Cleveland. If so, I'm damn glad our owner is willing to sign the paychecks and am damn glad CLE's owner is dumping salary.

The basketball merits of this trade is hard to disentangle from the feeling that Thomas is the most lovable player in the league. It's like clubbing a baby seal.

If we asked ourselves "would Belichick have made this trade"? I think the answer is yes.

Clubbing a baby seal > what about the children

hahaha

Um...if you're calling Butler and George 'elite bigs' you have a pretty ...unique view of basketball.
The modern definition of a "big" in my opinion is can you match up with the lebron/KD/leonards of the world, and those guys can.

Thats whats gonna make or break you in this modern NBA. Trading for AD or cousins isnt making you an nba title team in the 3-point era. Traditional bigs are dinosaurs

If Kyrie signs an extension, it really swings the deal in our direction, IMHO. We're giving up a lot, but if we get Kyrie under control for several more years, things look a whole lot better. There's a reason why Kyrie was #1 overall and IT4 was #30. IT4's come a long way, but Kyrie has been there all along, is younger, and is healthier.

The Ringer's piece mentioned that this also is being seen as a salary dump for Cleveland. If so, I'm damn glad our owner is willing to sign the paychecks and am damn glad CLE's owner is dumping salary.
IT wasn't #30. He was #60!

This isn't about next year, Kyrie is 3 years younger, doesn't have a messsed up hip, and his game doesn't rely so heavily on speed. Danny Ainge......

giphy.gif

If Kyrie signs an extension, it really swings the deal in our direction, IMHO. We're giving up a lot, but if we get Kyrie under control for several more years, things look a whole lot better. There's a reason why Kyrie was #1 overall and IT4 was #30. IT4's come a long way, but Kyrie has been there all along, is younger, and is healthier. In the NBA, superstars matter, and now we've got a bona-fide superstar on our team.

No one can ever accuse Wyc Gousbek , Pags or the rest of ownership of being Tom Yawkey, Billy Sullivan or Jeremy Jacobs

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back