PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Celtics trade Isaiah Thomas, Brooklyn 2018 pick & players for Kyrie Irving

I assume everyone knows, but might as well start gabbing about it. I'm of mixed emotions. I hate giving up the Brooklyn pick. Yet its still possible this could work out really well. We could end up with Irving, a 2-5 pick in the draft and the Cavs could end up with both IT and LeBron walking.

This. And I hate having to cheer for 2 Dookies.

Right from the source:

The presser says:
“Kyrie is one of the best scorers in the NBA. He has proven that on the biggest stage, the NBA Finals, the last three years,” said Celtics President of Basketball Operations Danny Ainge. “He’s been an NBA Champion, an Olympic Gold Medalist, and a four-time All-Star. For all he’s accomplished, we think his best years are ahead of him.”

“Isaiah and Jae have been a huge part of our success,” said Celtics Co-Owner and Governing Partner Wyc Grousbeck. “Isaiah’s playoff performance under very difficult circumstances will live on in history, and we wish them all the best.”

And:
“Isaiah embodied what it meant to be a Celtic. He captured fans’ hearts not only with his spirit, but his personality,” said Ainge. “Jae’s toughness was contagious for our team. He improved his skills each year, but it’s his energy and fight that will be remembered. We wish them and their families the very best.”

Last edited:
Cleveland got the better of this trade, IMO. Boston just traded away IT and their chance to get a quality big to the Cavs and Kyrie may only be on the team for another two years.

And those who disagree with trade forget how a Defensive Liability IT is?? Kyrie can Ball IT is not in his class. Also Picks are not guranteed to pan out.

Kyrie - Heyward - Tatum = Isolation city here we come:cool: all these guys can create their own shots unlike Bradley and Crowder.

wow i cant believe how fast this happened. the Celtics got the best player in the trade. and hes only 25. if Danny resigns him in 2 years ill love the trade. i don't like giving up the Brooklyn pick. but at least they have the laker pick. the Cleveland games are going to be insane.

You can hate the trade but the Cs weakened the conference favorite and is now the clear favorites to go to the Finals

Did I miss something. Did lebron leave Cleveland? Yes they took a downgrade at pg but they also added some help in the front court

The same guy who thinks the earth is flat?

Danny makes a lot of really stupid decisions. This is one of them. This team, whether with Irving or Thomas, is not ready to beat the Warriors, even if it gets lucky enough to get by the Cavs. Getting the big was what was needed against Golden State, and Ainge just flushed that opportunity down the drain.

And the Warriors showed how you really need an Elite Big to win it all.:rolleyes:

I mean, what would you rather have - IT for the next several years on a max deal + the 2018 Brooklyn pick, or Kyrie for the next several years on a max deal?

In truth, IT would not have been signed to that deal, so really, it's whether you'd rather have just the 2018 pick after this year, or Kyrie.

Love IT to death but Kyrie would destroy him 24/7 Kyrie will be a Beast on this Team IT who??

Generally the team that gets the best player wins the deal. At this point that is Irving. One can argue the Brooklyn pick will be the best player. That player could be like Anthony Davis or it could be Greg Oden. I think Danny made the right call.

Did I miss something. Did lebron leave Cleveland? Yes they took a downgrade at pg but they also added some help in the front court
Losing Irving is huge for them.

With that said IT is a very good replacement.

Hate giving up the Brooklyn pick
Hate giving up Zizic who I think will be a very serviceable cheap center off the bench.

Love Irving and the difference is huge - A player who can create his own shot vs a player who needs lots of plays designed for him.
I doubt many Celtics fans would have been happy giving Thomas a max contract - a harsh business reality - love the guy but ...

Interesting podcast from just one week ago:

Eight Kyrie Irving Trade Scenarios With Kevin O'Connor

Of course they give the Celtics zero chance of getting Kyrie.

Then the first thing they talk about is a CLE-BOS trade for Kyrie! :D

The trade Simmons said would be closest to happening would be Kyrie for Isaiah, Crowder, Rozier, Boston's 2018 1st, Boston's 2020 1st but NOT the Nets 2018 1st.

Kevin O'Connor said that you'd HAVE to include the Nets 1st to get the deal done, since it might not even be top 5.

Simmons pointed out that a conference finalist trading with a conference finalist doesn't make sense and hasn't happened since 1980.

His bottom line was that Cleveland is NOT trading with Boston! :D

What's interesting about the podcast is they say that whomever gets Kyrie becomes a magnet for lots of other players to want to go to that team.

That works for me!

Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Back