PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Celtics 2021-22

Fascinating how Coach Stevens was tasked with mixing/matching rosters full of NBA neophytes over the past 7 years.
But now GM Stevens has jettisoned Ainge's 'build through youth' philosophy and is all-in on NBA vets.
The era of giving meaningful minutes to the likes of Grant Williams, Prichard, Waters, etc is thankfully over
soul train episode 13 GIF

Is Tiny IT still available?

Fascinating how Coach Stevens was tasked with mixing/matching rosters full of NBA neophytes over the past 7 years.
But now GM Stevens has jettisoned Ainge's 'build through youth' philosophy and is all-in on NBA vets.
The era of giving meaningful minutes to the likes of Grant Williams, Prichard, Waters, etc is thankfully over
soul train episode 13 GIF

Is Tiny IT still available?
actually, this is all about roster flexibility.......they have over 50M in expiring contracts after this season.....close to 65M if you count Smart, but he's likely signing an extension here.....2 months ago, they were stuck

they can trade for any contract in the NBA now

they're better now than at the end of last season.

As a starting PG, Schroder is > Marcus Smart.

That's how bad Marcus Smart is.

It shows how deficient the C's are in toughness and defense in how much they excuse Marcus Smart's deficiencies because he's the only one with any toughness.

As a starting PG, Schroder is > Marcus Smart.

That's how bad Marcus Smart is.
Marcus Smart is a good player but he is not the guy who I want as the teams #1 PG and he is nowhere near star status that the organization treats him as. I do like the Schroeder pick up. He is a similar, high energy player and a legit, quality NBA player.

Im here for Brad surrounding Tatum & Brown with high effort vets. We are yet again still a third piece from contending but this season should be refreshing after the previous ones debacle.

Btw do the majority of the people in this thread actually hate the Celtics or the NBA in general? I’m all for being critical where the C’s are lacking but there’s a lot of mindless bashing going on.

Last edited:
Marcus Smart is a good player but he is not the guy who I want as the teams #1 PG and he is nowhere near star status that the organization treats him as. I do like the Schroeder pick up. He is a similar, high energy player and a legit, quality NBA player.

Im here for Brad surrounding Tatum & Brown with high effort vets. We are yet again still a third piece from contending but this season should be refreshing after the previous ones debacle.

Btw do the majority of the people in this thread actually hate the Celtics or the NBA in general? I’m all for being critical where the C’s are lacking but there’s a lot of mindless bashing going on.

They don’t know about much besides complaining

Have you watched the Celtics in the past few years, especially last year?

Have you watched the Celtics in the past few years, especially last year?
I said I’m all for being critical where they are lacking so yes there is plenty of criticism to give. On the other hand posts about how Brad Stevens has already failed as GM, ‘we’re going downhill fast’, ‘this team is full of douche bags’, ‘we are 8th seed at best, might as well tank’ don’t strike me as being of much substance. Maybe they do to you, not sure.

For the record I’ve watched most C’s games from the past 3-4 years so yes I’m well aware of the deficiencies and what has gone wrong. The team is better than last season at the very least, so let’s hope we see a jump from Nesmith and for the increased veteran presence to promote strong defense and effort on a consistent basis. That was sorely lacking last season.

Last edited:
I said I’m all for being critical where they are lacking so yes there is plenty of criticism to give. On the other hand posts about how Brad Stevens has already failed as GM, ‘we’re going downhill fast’, ‘this team is full of douche bags’, ‘we are 8th seed at best, might as well tank’ don’t strike me as being of much substance. Maybe they do to you, not sure.

For the record I’ve watched most C’s games from the past 3-4 years so yes I’m well aware of the deficiencies and what has gone wrong. The team is better than last season at the very least, so let’s hope we see a jump from Nesmith and for the increased veteran presence to promote strong defense and effort on a consistent basis. That was sorely lacking last season.
there's not as much deserving of criticism as there is.....last year there was simply not enough defense in the paint to offset Walker's liabilities.

2016-2017 - made it to eastern conference finals, then added tatum, hayward, irving
2017-2018 - made it to eastern conference finals with hayward and irving out
2018-2019 - kyrie quit....celts 'panicked' and got walker
2019-2020 - made it to eastern conference finals.....and walker got abused to the high heavens
2020-2021 - the irving/hayward/walker experiment came home to roost

using hindsight, the biggest failure was chasing walker and not keeping rozier...some don't like him, but with the other guys on this team, he was a better fit than either irving or walker. but I don't blame the C's for walker/hayward/irving not working out...it was bad luck

they are a much much better defensive team now than last season, same thing as when irving and hayward went down in 2017-2018.

I said I’m all for being critical where they are lacking so yes there is plenty of criticism to give. On the other hand posts about how Brad Stevens has already failed as GM, ‘we’re going downhill fast’,

I'm fine with what Stevens appears to be doing, but you don't think a case can be made that he's screwed the pooch? I mean, I can absolutely see where someone who doesn't want to put up with a punted season would hate what Stevens has done.

‘this team is full of douche bags’,

This team has been filled with "problem" people for years. I'm not sure how you can even begin to argue against that.

‘we are 8th seed at best, might as well tank’ don’t strike me as being of much substance. Maybe they do to you, not sure.

How is that not a substantive argument? If you're a borderline playoff-type team, you'd usually be better off missing the playoffs and getting a lottery opportunity.

Whether this team is better than last year's team remains to be seen. And, if it is, it'll be largely because of getting rid of an oft-injured guy who wanted out (Walker), which was a no-brainer move. There was no first round pick made. The team failed to bring in Lonzo Ball. The team just signed a PG who had fallen so low that he was available for under $6m. The team chose to re-stock the big man position by bringing back over-the-hill players (Horford, Kanter). But, basically, the team has created a bridge squad that it hopes can be competitive enough to keep the fans happy for a season, with the likely hope of making a big trade/FA signing in the next 2 years, while punting on this season in terms of being an actual competitor for the title.

I'm fine with what Stevens appears to be doing, but you don't think a case can be made that he's screwed the pooch? I mean, I can absolutely see where someone who doesn't want to put up with a punted season would hate what Stevens has done.

This team has been filled with "problem" people for years. I'm not sure how you can even begin to argue against that.

How is that not a substantive argument? If you're a borderline playoff-type team, you'd usually be better off missing the playoffs and getting a lottery opportunity.

Whether this team is better than last year's team remains to be seen. And, if it is, it'll be largely because of getting rid of an oft-injured guy who wanted out (Walker), which was a no-brainer move. There was no first round pick made. The team failed to bring in Lonzo Ball. The team just signed a PG who had fallen so low that he was available for under $6m. The team chose to re-stock the big man position by bringing back over-the-hill players (Horford, Kanter). But, basically, the team has created a bridge squad that it hopes can be competitive enough to keep the fans happy for a season, with the likely hope of making a big trade/FA signing in the next 2 years, while punting on this season in terms of being an actual competitor for the title.

all valid points if your goal is to dislike

one can see this roster as being stronger than the one that made it to 2017-2018 ECF with Horford, Baynes, rookie Tatum, 2nd year Brown, Rozier, Smart, and Morris.

since when was Lonzo Ball associated with success? He hasn't proven to be any more valuable than Schroeder. Schroeder priced himself out of his market to the Celts benefit......I'd take Schroeder for 6M before Ball for 20M or Paul for 30M or Lowry for 30M...the C's made out like bandits. They got better both talent-wise and in terms of roster flexibility......defensively, it looks like they have the best lineup 1-4 for switching Smart, Richardson, Tatum, Brown can all switch off and can competently defend today's 1-4....the 3pt line will be much better contested again

I like what the Celtics have done. Had to get rid of Kemba, and seems like they have more flexibility now.

Jerry Stackhouse on Aaron Nesmith:

Turning into bullets to get to the point

• We compare him to Khris Middleton. He’s perfect for the wing spot. He has the size. He has the strength and in addition to being a shooter, he is dedicated to the defensive side as well.
  • Obviously, he can shoot the ball. In the NBA, there is always a demand for shooters, and he’s one of the best shooters in all of college last year. There aren’t many better than him in the draft. But he’s also just a great person who cares about his teammates. He’ll always do what’s best for the team. He was a great leader for us, even after his injury.
  • He’s a competitor. He worked really hard in the summer before his sophomore season, and had great work ethic the whole year. He doesn’t take shortcuts.
  • I say that he was a sponge. He wanted to learn and he soaked things up in terms of system development as well as personal player development. He learned the little things like how to use screens and setting screens to get himself more open looks.
  • You’re talking about a guy who if he takes 100 shots he’s going to make 90 of them spot-up shots. I’ve seen him go 50-for-50, taking five spots, 10 shots. Allan Houston, Ray Allen type of jumpers. They are getting that type of shooter, but more.
  • I kind of liken him to Allan Houston right now. A guy who can come off screens, come off pin-downs. I don’t know if he had the greatest handle but he could get to where he needed to get to to make great space for himself. Defensively, probably middle tier right now with the ability to obviously improve there. Another guy I like is his homeboy from Charleston Khris Middleton. I think they have a lot of similarities. They both shoot the ball at a high clip. Khris has shown the ability to post up as well as pick-and-roll and I think over time Aaron will be able to do some of those same things and still shoot the ball at a really high clip. He really shoots the ball like a J.J. Redick type. I just don’t want to limit him to that. Once he gets space, once he gets his eyes on the rim, it’s gone. Just from a standpoint of shot-making. Does it look the same or have the same type of release as J.J. Redick? No. But from a standpoint of shot-making, that’s the way he shoots the ball.
  • In five years, Aaron Nesmith will be an all star.
  • I would hate to fight him. And you know that’s saying a lot. I think he has that type of toughness and no quit in him.
  • He has a sense of toughness about him. I knew that eventually that he was going to find his stride, because he works so hard. He shoots the basketball too well,” he said. “He has just an uncanny knack of just making sure the ball goes in, doesn’t matter whether he’s off-balance a little bit, or anything. Even in the post, he can score from all three levels.

Yes. Brad Stevens is absolutely making head scratching moves as a GM. And he's arguably overrated as a coach where the team underwhelmed while he was HC and it didn't seem appropriate he just got promoted to be President of the f'ing Celtics.

Look at the roster as currently constructed. Who are the starting PF and C, and other bigs? It's a bunch of ball chuckers and lacks fundamental defense or interior rebounding.

Yes. Brad Stevens is absolutely making head scratching moves as a GM. And he's arguably overrated as a coach where the team underwhelmed while he was HC and it didn't seem appropriate he just got promoted to be President of the f'ing Celtics.

Look at the roster as currently constructed. Who are the starting PF and C, and other bigs? It's a bunch of ball chuckers and lacks fundamental defense or interior rebounding.

Their best player plays ISO ball. Routinely eats up the entire shot clock. Plays uninspired, lazy defense. Has a sh!tty, selfish attitude. Only cares about his stats. And video game rankings. Losing doesn't seem to bother him. And he carries himself like he's won several rings. Brown isn't much better. The team stinks. Because their best players are legends in their own minds. Both want to be part of the nba club more than they care about winning and playing in Boston. They don't seem to have any respect for the city and the team they play for. The Celtics are easily the most unlikable team in Boston. I enjoyed the Isiah Thomas brick mason crowder Kelly o teams much more than the current roster. At least that team. Always played hard. Respected their coach. The teams' legacy. The city and cared about winning above everything else. They overachieved. I've been a Celtics' fan since the 70s. And I've never not liked a team more than last year's Celtics. Not even close.

Last edited:
Their best player plays ISO ball. Routinely eats up the entire shot clock. Plays uninspired, lazy defense. Has a sh!tty, selfish attitude. Only cares about his stats. And video game rankings. Losing doesn't seem to bother him. And he carries himself like he's won several rings. Brown isn't much better. The team stinks. Because their best players are legends in their own minds. Both want to be part of the nba club more than they care about winning and playing in Boston. They don't seem to have any respect for the city and the team they play for. The Celtics are easily the most unlikable team in Boston. I enjoyed the Isiah Thomas brick mason crowder Kelly o teams much more than the current roster. At least that team. Always played hard. Respected their coach. The teams' legacy. The city and cared about winning above everything else. They overachieved. I've been a Celtics' fan since the 70s. And I've never not liked a team more than last year's Celtics. Not even close.
Spoken like someone who really knows something

*end sarcasm*

Wow that Tatum kid is a real piece of **** isn’t he? He’s only one of the very best young players in the league. He and Brown have only carried the team deep into the ECF twice in his four years in the league. What a ****ing loser, I truly yearn for the Kelly Olynyk years too.

Wow that Tatum kid is a real piece of **** isn’t he? He’s only one of the very best young players in the league. He and Brown have only carried the team deep into the ECF twice in his four years in the league. What a ****ing loser, I truly yearn for the Kelly Olynyk years too.
Wow! What an accomplishment, losing in the ecf is. not once, but twice. Holy sh!t. When is the parade? No wonder why they are legends :rofl:. In boston its about hanging banners. Until they do that. They should carry themselves accordingly. But they won't. Because they couldn't care less. All they both care about is their own personnel success. :yuck:I can't stand either one of them. The worst thing that happened to them and the team. Was going to the ecf tatums rookie year without hayward and kyrie. It went right to theirs heads. After that, they had all the answers. Nobody can tell them anything.

Last edited:
If Dennis the Menace won’t bow down to LeBron and want to “be his own man”, good luck Tatum and Brown.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
Back