PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Cam says he regrets not having enough time to understand what he was getting into in NE

And people wonder why these guys sometimes hate the fans.

I wish Cam nothing but the best. His circumstances sucked but they sucked for a lot of players this season with the way things went with the coronavirus. I think he is done as an NFL QB but the guy has so much charisma and seems to be someone others gravitate to and that is something you cannot teach. With those attributes he should have plenty of post NFL career options and I am sure whatever he does he will do well.

to clarify my post, I meant he has no worth as a football player. Not a human being.

You could point to his rushing touchdowns, but if the goal of the team was to lead the league in QB rushing touchdowns and be the worst passing team in football I imagine any RB in the league could run that offense

I really liked what he brought to the team and fans. It was sad that it didn't work out on the field.
I've no idea if he'll create a successful role on an NFL team next year and beyond. I hope he does, and is successful and happy in doing so. Seems like a guy with constructive values and the world needs all of those we can get.
The fans here who belittle him on his way out are speaking entirely about their own character and nothing about him.

If this feckin clown breaks Grogan's record he can GFH...along with his HC...

If Stidham seriously can't beat out that train wreck, then he is beyond hope and should be cut.

The only scenario that I'd keep Cam is that if we were to draft a high prospect QB, I wouldn't mind keep Cam so that the rookie can learn how to be a leader, but besides that it would be a easy no for me.

I think it’s safe to say Cam is a better runner lol. Stid isn’t nearly the athlete Cam is. Cam is one of the best running QBs in the NFL.
I've posted this is in the past. It's from the Athletic regarding Stidham's running ability.

"When you exclude sacks and plays with fumbled snaps, Stidham had 61 carries for 372 yards last season. That’s an average of 6.10 yards per carry, which nearly matches that of Kam Martin, Auburn’s projected starting running back this season (6.12).

Unlike Martin, most of Stidham’s carries did not come on designed running plays. He can turn passing plays into running ones by scrambling, which he did 40 times for 237 yards in 2017.

Even though Stidham averaged 5.93 yards per play on scrambles, he was better on run-pass option keepers and designed runs. Stidham had 21 such carries for 135 yards — an average of 6.43 yards per rush — and scored all four of his rushing touchdowns."

The only scenario that I'd keep Cam is that if we were to draft a high prospect QB, I wouldn't mind keep Cam so that the rookie can learn how to be a leader, but besides that it would be a easy no for me.
you don't learn to be a leader, you are or you are not a leader, theres nothing to be learned about it, thats something you should have already shown in college

Isaac Newton's First Law of Motion: Every object in a state of uniform motion tends to remain in that state of motion unless an external force is applied to it.
Cam Newton's First Law of Motion: Every object in a state of uniform motion tends to remain in that state of motion unless a defensive lineman applies an external force to it.

Feels weird to like a player and loathe what he does on the field.

I brought this up previously, but your post kind of reiterates a point I used when explaining why Cam was the starter every week, even when his play was terrible:

He is the type of character that can keep your team hyped and bought in, even when the onfield production is garbage. In seasons like this, where we all knew it was a rebuild and there's almost no shot we'll make it into the playoffs, a guy like Cam is someone who can bridge that down year and keep a group of young guys focused. And I think Bill thought the team needed that more than a shakey Stid.

Bill has some pieces on this team that are young and promising, and you want to keep them engaged so the "fire" carries into the next season. Cam is the kind of leader that can keep your team close together, even in times of duress.

Of course this is massive speculation on my end, but I think it makes a decent amount of sense. Sure, we could've tanked and gotten a higher pick, but I'm really not sure if that's in BB's blood, and it's always up in the air how that would affect the team mojo headed into the next season.

Combine that with the ticket price, and the POTENTIAL he had, it makes a lot of sense why they brought him in.

I really like who he is, and I love the positivity he can bring. I hope he has a healthy, lucrative career after football. Because the dude was an electric player in his prime, did an incredible amount of charity, and always gave it as much as he could.

I think its a variety of factors
(1) Stidham hasn't impressed enough, or at all, in practice to be obviously a better option:eek:
(2) The offense has been tailored for Newton, and switching to Stidham wouldn't give him the best opportunity to succeed
(3) The team generally seems to like Newton and want to play hard for him. Dumping Cam in favor of Stidham would be bad for team chemistry. Think of all the games the Patriots won with Newton throwing less than 150 yards. Basically dumping a strong team leader for a guy who might be slightly better isn't how you win.
(4) Bill rightly concluded that going from Newton to Stidham isn't going to get you a deep playoff run anyway.

I think #3 is a great point.

Culture is what sets NE apart. The Patriots outwork everyone, we've heard it a million times. If nothing else, Cam served as an enforcer of that culture (just like Brady did). 4:30 to 11 PM every day. 12 rushing TDs, sacrificing his body running like a fullback. You've lost a bunch of vets to COVID, and you've got a lot of fresh faces playing important roles.

So he's washed up? Fine. Better that than some kid who sets a poor example, and isn't terribly good to begin with (even if they are, as you point out, slightly better).

I think #3 is a great point.

Culture is what sets NE apart. The Patriots outwork everyone, we've heard it a million times. If nothing else, Cam served as an enforcer of that culture (just like Brady did). 4:30 to 11 PM every day. 12 rushing TDs, sacrificing his body running like a fullback. You've lost a bunch of vets to COVID, and you've got a lot of fresh faces playing important roles.

So he's washed up? Fine. Better that than some kid who sets a poor example, and isn't terribly good to begin with (even if they are, as you point out, slightly better).
#3 isn't a great point at all. Neither is all the drivel about "Culture is what sets NE apart." They're 6-9, hello, this has not been a successful season by any measure. If it's all about "culture" supposedly, and Newton is enforcing it, then why do they suck? What sets Newton apart from Brady is Newton sucks at his job while Brady excels at it. Brady makes everyone around him better by performing at a high level during an actual game. Newton can work 20 hours a day, he's not making anyone better.

Newton by the way is not showing up at the stadium every day at 4:30 AM and going home at 11:00 PM. That's obvious BS.

The 12 rushing TD's, he can have'em all back. It's a shame really that Newton is sharing that record with a quarterback who actually means something to the franchise.

I like the fullback comp because an actual fullback probably could have plodded into the end zone like Newton on at least half of those TD's.

And the excuses being made for and by Newton for his dismal season... enough already. He's just not good. He's fortunate too that there were no fans because he would have gotten booed right out of the stadium. And the poor guy's feelings would have been hurt. He won some foolish Boston media Good Guy award; he'll put that next to his MVP trophy I'm sure.

Now that Kraft got Goodell to pull the Tampa Bay game opposite the Patriots, I'm stuck watching a sleep deprived fullback playing quarterback. Good riddance.

A lot to dissect here. Sounds like a goodbye speech. Sounds negative about NE at first but I think it’s more just reflection.

Cam would not understand why he was sitting on the throne taking a crap ... seriously ... his level of dumb is not fixable.
Great guy .. great teammate ... dumb-assed QB ... he is ... doen't make him a bad guy ... just easily makes him on the cut list.

Can he play TE ... or HB ... JK ... the inevitable change his position crap ... buy him some cows let him throw food to them.,

#3 isn't a great point at all. Neither is all the drivel about "Culture is what sets NE apart." They're 6-9, hello, this has not been a successful season by any measure. If it's all about "culture" supposedly, and Newton is enforcing it, then why do they suck? What sets Newton apart from Brady is Newton sucks at his job while Brady excels at it. Brady makes everyone around him better by performing at a high level during an actual game. Newton can work 20 hours a day, he's not making anyone better.

Newton by the way is not showing up at the stadium every day at 4:30 AM and going home at 11:00 PM. That's obvious BS.

The 12 rushing TD's, he can have'em all back. It's a shame really that Newton is sharing that record with a quarterback who actually means something to the franchise.

I like the fullback comp because an actual fullback probably could have plodded into the end zone like Newton on at least half of those TD's.

And the excuses being made for and by Newton for his dismal season... enough already. He's just not good. He's fortunate too that there were no fans because he would have gotten booed right out of the stadium. And the poor guy's feelings would have been hurt. He won some foolish Boston media Good Guy award; he'll put that next to his MVP trophy I'm sure.

Now that Kraft got Goodell to pull the Tampa Bay game opposite the Patriots, I'm stuck watching a sleep deprived fullback playing quarterback. Good riddance.
This is their first losing season since the turn of the millennium! Year after year they win despite pundits deciding they are under talented (it's only after the fact, when they win big games, that these mediots decide Patriot players are worth a damn).

If the best Belichick can do is try to preserve the culture, by starting a charismatic hard worker who seems to be, unfortunately, washed up, then that's what he did and God bless him for it. You don't go to 9 Super Bowls without keeping an eye on the future.

It was a bad season, but they fought their asses off and have a solid foundation for 2021, when hopefully they can field a little more talent. If Cam is still around, it is hopefully in a backup/short yardage capacity.

Cam is terrible and should be forever grateful he earned a salary at all this year

hopefully he didn’t squander his past earnings because he’s worth nothing now

worth nothing?
He seems like a well spoken, handsome man who has quite a professional athletic resume.
Life can bring many opportunities, he probably has a very bright future ahead. Who is to say he can’t be the next Tony Romo-like announcer?
Or start a business?
Or a clothing g line?
Heck, if he put the money he earned at Auburn in a mutual fund, he may have a couple million bucks right there.

Cam is done for. He can't play quarterback any more. He's a third-rate fullback in funny hats. Can we please move on from any and all delusions to the contrary?

The team was never tanking - meaning losing games on purpose.

If they tried Belichick would be fired as he should be for such a season, and then the Pats get stuck with a coach like mcDaniels who could get this team to 3 or 4 wins a season for the rest of the 2020’s. Sounds like a great plan right? The Patsies are back baby! Good times and great laughs. :D

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Back