PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Cam says he regrets not having enough time to understand what he was getting into in NE

Stidham better runner than Cam? What?!
I said maybe, which means that I don't know. Neither do you. I'd have to see the kid run the ball to make an accurate judgement. I know he can pass the ball better, but so can every starter and a few of the backups in the NYFL.

Stidham better runner than Cam? What?!
Stidham is in no way shape or form a better runner than Cam.

The wishful thinking around Stidham cracks me up. People actually think a guy who isn’t even good enough to beat out Hoyer for his job in week 1 is going to be good in this league. LOL

I said maybe, which means that I don't know. Neither do you. I'd have to see the kid run the ball to make an accurate judgement. I know he can pass the ball better, but so can every starter and a few of the backups in the NYFL.
I think it’s safe to say Cam is a better runner lol. Stid isn’t nearly the athlete Cam is. Cam is one of the best running QBs in the NFL.

Well the only thing this offense did well was in the red zone and Stid doesn’t have Cam’s running ability. I doubt it’d have gone well.
I think Stid would have been good for a couple of pick 6’s going the other way in the opponent red zone. That’s one thing he’s good at.

You can have all the prep time in the world, but when you don't have an arm left, don't make much difference.

Feels weird to like a player and loathe what he does on the field.

A for effort. He still runs into defenders hard. He knocked that dude out last week. Gotta respect that.
F for the final grade though. I was excited at the start of the season like so many others.
At least he beat the Ravens..

Why was Bill always so effusive in his praise of Cam? If he was consistently first in, last out, fine, but it seemed like Bill really talked the guy up considering how bad he was.

There was a rumour that Cam agreed to come to NE for a Revis-esque reclamation season. Play for peanuts, and in exchange we'll do everything we can to help you score another contract. I wonder if that, combined with Stidham's ineptitude, explains it.

I think its a variety of factors
(1) Stidham hasn't impressed enough, or at all, in practice to be obviously a better option:eek:
(2) The offense has been tailored for Newton, and switching to Stidham wouldn't give him the best opportunity to succeed
(3) The team generally seems to like Newton and want to play hard for him. Dumping Cam in favor of Stidham would be bad for team chemistry. Think of all the games the Patriots won with Newton throwing less than 150 yards. Basically dumping a strong team leader for a guy who might be slightly better isn't how you win.
(4) Bill rightly concluded that going from Newton to Stidham isn't going to get you a deep playoff run anyway.

The Good Ship Patriot has resumed its journey, leaving Cam bobbing in its wake in an oil slick of "charm."

Cam made like $5M with incentives, not $1M.
For a veteran NFL starting QB that was a reasonable wage, and fit the cap restrictions for a Patriots team with the most dead money on its cap in the Belichick era. It did not work out from a performance point of view, but seems like a fair wage for a former MVP who worked hard and didn't wreck the locker room during a brutal year. I keep thinking about the QB mess in New England compared to the QB mess in Philadelphia with Carson Wentz and his $24.5 million cap hit in 2021.

The Pats and Cam can part ways on good terms, and the Patriots will have plenty of money to get a veteran QB and draft a rookie at QB. The Eagles, on the other hand, are screwed. To quote WC Fields headstone, "On the whole, I'd rather be in Foxboro."

Sounds like Belichick informed Cam that he is fired after Sundays game like Adam Gase.
Cam isn't being fired, he's completing a one-year deal. Gase is getting let go with a year left on his deal, but may be the new OC in Foxboro if Josh accepts (and actually shows up) for head coaching gig elsewhere.

Cam has 6 wins as a starter this season

Bridgewater has 4 ..

Matt Ryan has 4 ..

Cousins has 6 ...

Ryan has Julio and Ridley ..

Cousins has Jefferson, Thielen, Cook

Bridgewater has DJ Moore - Robby Anderson - Curtis Samuel

... Tom Brady may finish with 11 wins this season as a starter ... Cam may finish with 7 ... oh wow Tom will have a poultry 4 more wins than Cam ..

Evans, Godwin, Brown, Gronk is that 4 win difference, but why arent the aforementioned Ryan, Cousins, Bridgewater being ran out of town by fans, media, like Cam?

Cam will be back and will 'magically' turn into an elite passer when he has NFL caliber weapons. You're all very wrong, besides Bill and McD who speak glowingly of Cam

Bridgewater has 4 ..

Matt Ryan has 4 ..

Cousins has 6 ...

... Tom Brady may finish with 11 wins this season as a starter ... Cam may finish with 7 ... oh wow Tom will have a poultry 4 more wins than Cam ..

Evans, Godwin, Brown, Gronk is that 4 win difference, but why arent the aforementioned Ryan, Cousins, Bridgewater being ran out of town by fans, media, like Cam?

Cam will be back and will 'magically' turn into an elite passer when he has NFL caliber weapons. You're all very wrong, besides Bill and McD who speak glowingly of Cam
The only difference is Matt ryan had 24 tds, Cousins had 32 TDs and teddy bridgewater had 15 TDs passing. Cam newton had 5 TD's. Maybe our weapons are THAT bad. but would cam become a 25 TD passer next year with legit weapons? that is a Huge jump. if Cam had 15 TD's this year I would say maybe its just our weapons considering how brady went from 25 TD's in New england to 36 and probably more this week with Tampa.

I hope so for our sake and Cams sake that he will turn into an elite passer when he has NFL caliber weapons. the problem this season is that even when guys were open he would skip a pass into the ground like that pass to Harry which was abysmal.

But i guess really, the only opinion that matters is Bill Belichick. Does he think Cams abilities have eroded where he is no longer an NFL QB or does he think with better weapons he can be better. I'd love to see the internal evaluations. because my eyes tell me Cams arm is shot. But they see what kind of throws he can or cant make in practice.

I do think there is a possibility depending on how free agency goes that Cam Newton is back here.

Cam’s inaccuracy and generally poor play is the only reason I haven’t written off Harry entirely still. Mostly, but not entirely. Maybe he will be a WR3 level player with someone who has any modicum of accuracy. But that a bit off topic I guess.

Bridgewater has 4 ..

Matt Ryan has 4 ..

Cousins has 6 ...

Hanging on to the dream like a vice. Gotta admire that.

Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
Back