PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Cam Released

This is what other teams go through with rookies. Gotta be patient with the kid.
1000%. There will be a two or three or more interception game this year. He will have his trends eviscerated by some defensive coordinator exposing his weaknesses. It's going to happen.

The telling factor will remain - what he does NEXT when those events occur? Also how long does that next thing take? Does he bounce back in the same game? The next game? Never?

Jones can still be anything from a bust to a game manager QB to a middling once every couple years playoff guy to a reliable clutch star. All of those are still on the table. I'm excited to watch the journey and see how it unfolds.

I wonder how much of this was about Cam's attitude. It's one thing to lose out being the starter to someone else but to be completely cut is another. I would think if Mac was flat out better than Newton then Newton would simply be the backup. He must have thrown a fit or Bill knew he was going to throw a fit and just be a distraction to the team. I honestly don't think Hoyer or Stidham are objectively better than Newton.

I doubt that. I'd lean towards he was told that he wouldn't be the starter and was given a choice of whether to stay or get cut.

I hope yall are happy!!!!

I know I am hahahahaaa!

Why would signing the worst passing QB in the league last year attract WRs?
He may have looked terrible but he is revered by a lot guys around the league. I don't know if it is the charisma or if it was the Heisman/NFL MVP but even with as bad as he looked he still has a very large fanbase inside and outside of the league.

mac jones isnt stafford LOL

There's also a difference between a rookie having a good season with a losing record and a veteran having a good season with a losing record. The rookie doing it gives you hope and something to build around. I'm sure the Lions fans were happy with Stafford in his rookie year after going 0-16 the year before, and I'm sure Pats fans will be happy with Mac if he looks like he can put us back in contention in a couple years.

1000%. There will be a two or three or more interception game this year. He will have his trends eviscerated by some defensive coordinator exposing his weaknesses. It's going to happen.

The telling factor will remain - what he does NEXT when those events occur? Also how long does that next thing take? Does he bounce back in the same game? The next game? Never?

Jones can still be anything from a bust to a game manager QB to a middling once every couple years playoff guy to a reliable clutch star. All of those are still on the table. I'm excited to watch the journey and see how it unfolds.

Mac Jones will be future pro bowler. I am very confident in this kid’s ability.

He may have looked terrible but he is revered by a lot guys around the league. I don't know if it is the charisma or if it was the Heisman/NFL MVP but even with as bad as he looked he still has a very large fanbase inside and outside of the league.
Yeah, being liked is not what makes a great QB. Hey I am a good guy, make me the QB, does not work like that.

To anyone suggesting Mac needs to be superhuman I’d just say go back and look at Tom Brady’s numbers from 2001… that wasn’t a good season for him or any QB at that time. He threw 1 TD along with 1 INT in the entire playoffs. It’s a team game ultimately and there’s the distinct possibility Mac is further along than Tom at this time.
You would think so, Mac is a first round pick and Brady was a 6th rounder and not expected to be as good as he was

Nothing against Cam but this is the right call. I'd rather have a couple of seasons of growing pains with a new franchise QB than a veteran re-tread blocking the way. Mac (for me) has been a Pats QB since well before the draft. We lucked out getting him. No point in delaying his progress. There will be ups and downs but that's football. Thanks to Cam for his efforts.

You know, the Jimmy G stuff is an interesting thought. I don’t think SF is gonna cut him this year but he’s definitely getting the axe next year. Theoretically if Mac somehow looks bad this season (seems very unlikely), Bill can pull the plug and bring Jimmy back next year.

Yeah, being liked is not what makes a great QB. Hey I am a good guy, make me the QB, does not work like that.
Look at Aaron Rodgers. He is one of the biggest D-bags in the league and has had a handful of former teammates bad mouth him over the years and he is a great QB.

My next prediction:

Mac outperforms and beats Tua week 1. Miami media questions the Tua pick and pushes for a Watson trade.

If I had to guess Bill told him Mac would start and he asked to be cut.
Had to be. Otherwise they would have given him time with the starters. Nothing else makes sense.

My guess is Cam was told there was going to be a transition at some point this year, and Cam wanted to be cut to go somewhere else. There is absolutely no way BB's plan was not to start Cam week 1. I have mentioned Cam's ego issues before. I made a big post about it. He can't be the back up at any point. To him, he is the MVP, the Heisman winner, Mr. first string his whole life. To tell him that he's part of a transition plan, he isn't down with that. Can't accept it.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back