PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Player Signing Cam newton resigned 1 year deal

I am having a hard time spending #15 on a kid with 17 starts at ND state. I get he's supposed to be the dude, but that's pretty risky. I'd feel better if he was a 3 year starter with a couple of major bowl/playoff appearances.
I felt the same way until @BaconGrundleCandy showed me some of his all-22. He’s not a complete player by any stretch. Nobody coming out of college is. But a lot of my concerns were diminished by watching that tape.

Meanwhile Tom Brady signs extension with TB. **** BILL AND THE KRAFTS. This is so beyond ***
Sorry.. but Newman wasn't going to be a first rounder or second rounder regardless of whether he sat out. There are other players who sat out who didn't lose that much draft status...
We shall see! I think Newman will be the best of the non first wave guys. He is much better than Trask, Mond, etc. Would Inratger have Lance? Of course. But we don’t have the right pick to get him without a huge trade up.

Same day that Cam gets his deal Brady gets "4 more years"

Hahahaha oh christ how the hell did this happen?

51g1l8.jpg

I am having a hard time spending #15 on a kid with 17 starts at ND state. I get he's supposed to be the dude, but that's pretty risky. I'd feel better if he was a 3 year starter with a couple of major bowl/playoff appearances.

Which then would make him not available. The volatility and uncertainty is one of the reasons he might be in our range.

It has been kinda weird how many current and former NFL players have come out in his defense since late last year. Ty Law just did it this week.

It's going to be awesome seeing every NFL player (and pro athletes in general) observe Boston fans and media repeatedly dump on Cam this week.

I'm going to save this post and post it again when the Pat's go 8-8 or 7-9 this year.
I wasn't expecting more than 7 - 9 wins in 2021 before the Newton signing, and I don't expect any less than 7 - 9 wins after. No realistic long-term options are available right now. Gotta try to stay competitive and play the long game. I see no reason why a Fitzpatrick, Mariota, Brisset or Dalton will make the team any better than Newton. In this case the devil we know might be the best route to a competitive team.

The team is rebuilding. Whether that means moving some picks forward to 2022 and making a splash then, or waiting for Garoppolo to get released (no way we're giving up a pick AND paying him $25 million a year).

Unlike 99% of people here id be fine going into the season with Cam as starter (esp. in combo with new good rookie).
Top D, top OL, dominant running game, top ST, top complementary football could go a long way - plenty to enjoy.

Of course this could be all just a set up to please @BaconGrundleCandy and draft Lance ;)
I'm on record of saying (several times actually) I'd be fine with Cam for the right price. Not shocked. I'm actually still hopeful about Lance tbh bc Cam would be a good mentor in a lot of ways and a great bridge to Lance.

*edit* im not thrilled lol. I'm just saying I'm not surprised. Plus Cam should be better in his 2nd year.

Next time I want to relive the summer of 2018, I'll remember to come back to this site.

I felt the same way until @BaconGrundleCandy showed me some of his all-22. He’s not a complete player by any stretch. Nobody coming out of college is. But a lot of my concerns were diminished by watching that tape.
I'd like to see that too, @BaconGrundleCandy
Which then would make him not available. The volatility and uncertainty is one of the reasons he might be in our range.
I get that. But there's guys out there that likely will be there.

Yep. Only reason I’m not completely flipping out right now is - 1) I took a clonazepam this morning and 2) I’m assuming they’ll still be looking to draft a QB in round one.

Hopefully, the clonazepam wasn't in response to the Cam signing.

It might not be round one. They may have their eyes on a sleeper. Cam is an $8M "minimum requirements" investment.

By Wednesday, the market will be full of talent. Sign Andrews, Guy, another DT, a TE, a WR, and a LB.
That'll allow them to be creative in the draft.

This is an interesting reference, thanks for sharing. For as much as we dump on his shoulder, his completion percentage wasn't really bad at all. He had to play too much "hero ball" with the dearth of pieces around him. I am willing to be optimistic for now if they can get a guy like Curtis Samuel + more, and if they draft a QB...

Wellp, hate the signing. I have to assume this is just part of a larger plan that involves bringing in players who can actually play QB, at some point.

A pretty good take on it all.

Yeah the last point is important. Other teams can't just hold their feet to the fire. Bill will say "Too pricy, I'll just roll with Cam. See ya"

I wasn't expecting more than 7 - 9 wins in 2021 before the Newton signing, and I don't expect any less than 7 - 9 wins after. No realistic long-term options are available right now. Gotta try to stay competitive and play the long game. I see no reason why a Fitzpatrick, Mariota, Brisset or Dalton will make the team any better than Newton. In this case the devil we know might be the best route to a competitive team.

The team is rebuilding. Whether that means moving some picks forward to 2022 and making a splash then, or waiting for Garoppolo to get released (no way we're giving up a pick AND paying him $25 million a year).
THIS. Cam has had a year to learn patriots system and work with McDaniels. Any of the FA QB's (except JG) would have growing pains in year 1 with a new system. The long term play is to trade up and draft high potential QB

Cam struggles could be COVID related. I know several people who had a mild case of COVID and their energy level was crap for like two months after they recovered. One friend got winded if he walked around the block with his wife and he isn't out of shape.

If Cam was affected that way, maybe that is why he couldn't throw the ball at all.

Patriots need a backup for when JimmyG gets injured.

You could do a lot worse than a guy who went 7-8 as a starter last year.

Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Back