PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Player Signing Cam newton resigned 1 year deal

Ring6 sounds exactly like Harrison, lol:

"That would be the worst decision [Belichick] has ever made," Harrison told Curran. "Because now you're not being fair to your team. When I saw what I saw with Cam, every time I saw Cam pretty much I was hurt. Because I was a guy that believed in Cam, and when you see him drop back and he continues to throw the ball into the ground, throw it five feet or five yards above somebody else, you're like 'What are you doing, Cam?'

I’m not sure how anyone could disagree with us.

You could hardly ask for a better running QB except for Lamar. Too bad its a passing NFL. Look at all the good passing teams that made the 2020 post season. Tampa, KC, Buffalo, Cleveland, New Orleans, Green Bay, Pittsburgh

160792402_10157535761111262_22682692872903036_o.jpg

I think the thought by alot of posters is that there is no way Bill would bring Cam Newton back unless he thought that the talent and circumstances around cam played a large factor in his performance. Bill could get so many guys who can at least throw the ball better than cam did last year to be a "bridge guy". Jameous Winston, Alex Smith, Trubisky, fitzpatrick, mariota. All should be relatively cheap and should have a better arm than Cam, but he stuck with cam newton. Thats the big mystery. So, is Bill delusional? or is Cam Newton more a product of what was around him last year? If those above guys all have better statistical seasons than Cam newton, then Bill will have some questions to answer as to why he didn't go after them and instead went with Cam.

Because while the Patriots conceivably could still trade for Jimmy G. I don't think any of the above guys will be clamoring to sign with the patriots and "compete" to start with cam newton when they can sign with washington etc. and be guaranteed a starting job.
SO cam had a shortened camp with no preseason but then three weeks into the season had to isolate for two weeks i believe so then wasn't allowed to practice. I believe he returned to practice and then the training camp was closed for covid reasons in Oct for two weeks so to say he should be just getting better and better through a limited season with that level of disruption i think is a big ask. I'm not saying he is great. He is clearly limited and his mechanics at times are hard to watch but the disruption has to be a factor. it would be a factor with a veteran qb who knew the offense let alone someone who didn't.

I don't get this excuse. Shouldn't he have been getting better and better each week? Sure, he didn't have training camp but the team does practice on the days they don't play games during the season, correct? If you want to say, at the beginning of the season that things were rough because of no training camp, sure, I can see that but by, say, Week 10, the players should have some kind of rapport. If Cam was great and it was just his supporting cast, he wouldn't be getting balls tipped at the line with regularity or chucking balls into the dirt five yards in front of guys.

He's not good. This trend will continue next season.
He had training camp. Why do people keep saying he didn’t?

Coincidentally just watched this:

i watched and got excited by Curtis Samuel in pats uniform

went and looked at his career stats and saw the difference in catch % with Cammy Cam

But having Cam throwing to them will be just what it takes to convince quality free agent receivers to sign with the Pats.
Given the reaction that folks like DMac had, it might not be logical, But it might well work.

Bill knew Brady was leaving; it’s what he wanted all along. He also thought he had Brady’s successor in place with Jarrett Stidham but Stidham regressed during the virtual offseason and played like crap when training camp arrived.

Belichick bordered on being cruel in his treatment of Stidham last season. From the “ his teammates don’t trust him” whisper campaign to starting the over the hill and never any good Brian Hoyer in the KC game to continuing to play Newton even after they were out of the playoff picture. Bill wanted everyone to know that Stidham had failed and that it was Stidham’s fault not his. But, Bill failed big time in putting all his eggs in the basket of a 2nd year 4th rounder.

The excuse making for Cant is one of the more bothersome reactions to his putrid performance. These are probably the same fans who pissed on Brady for leading a more injured offense to 12-4 in 2019.
It's the sycophants from Team Bill not able to recognize that their Deity is actually human and makes mistakes.

Here's a good article on the GM mistakes (@KontradictioN eyes) made by Belichick since 2017 that led us to this situation. Bill f*ked up. He had ample time since 2017 to have a plan to eventually replace Brady and pissed it away.

Sorry I missed it. I was laughing so hard yesterday witnessing Ring's iconic meltdown that my insides started hurting. Lmao
It was a fecal tsunami on the scale of Fukushima!

Why are you typing in all caps? Why do you feel the need to tell people to leave the forum because you disagree with them? Why are you triggered enough to make memes about it? Relax
Some of us want to discuss what is happening with the team in 2021, not deal with people who keep bringing up the same old :poop: time and time again because they can't get over their butthurt left over from 2018-9.

This notion that Cam was not promised anything is asisine. They brought him back for more money. Bill gushes about him everytime a mic is in his face. We are not signing another FA Qb or trading. It's Cam and whoever we draft.
This post is asinine, i.e. ass-like. They brought him back for little bit more money. Bill does not "gush about him everytime a mic is in his face". We don't know if we are signing another QB. We don't even know if Cam will be on the roster for Game 1, regardless of how certain you may be in your own mind about the future.

I think the thought by alot of posters is that there is no way Bill would bring Cam Newton back unless he thought that the talent and circumstances around cam played a large factor in his performance. Bill could get so many guys who can at least throw the ball better than cam did last year to be a "bridge guy". Jameous Winston, Alex Smith, Trubisky, fitzpatrick, mariota. All should be relatively cheap and should have a better arm than Cam, but he stuck with cam newton. Thats the big mystery. So, is Bill delusional? or is Cam Newton more a product of what was around him last year? If those above guys all have better statistical seasons than Cam newton, then Bill will have some questions to answer as to why he didn't go after them and instead went with Cam.
Cam is just a place holder, the definition of a "replacement level" player. The advantage he has over other free agents with similar AAVs like Tyrod Taylor and AJ McCarron ( ref: 2021 NFL Free Agents Tracker ) is that he is further up the learning curve than those guys are, he's well respected by players in this locker room and around the league, and he's willing to commit early to what very well may be a backup role or even being cut before Game 1.

It's pretty sad people are using terms like "delusional" and even "dementia" when talking about BB. He knows more about football than any of us, he knows exactly what Cam is and what Cam is not. He's watched more game film on an average Tuesday morning than most people here have watched in a lifetime.

It does make me wonder why people don't find a team they actually like and go root for them instead of flinging :poop: at BB and the Patriots.

i watched and got excited by Curtis Samuel in pats uniform

went and looked at his career stats and saw the difference in catch % with Cammy Cam

Meh. Jakobi Meyers had a 63.4% rate with THE GOAT Brady and a 72.8% rate with Newton.. Even Harry improved his catch % from Brady with Newton by 8%

Also doesn't take into account that maybe Matt Rhule & Joe Brady knew how to use Samuel better than Mike Shula and then Norv Turner knew how to use him. It also doesn't take into account 2019 when he had a 51.4% rate that only 17 targets were from Newton, the rest were Kyle Allen & Will Grier and in 2018 almost 30% of his targets were from Taylor Heincke & Kyle Allen.

But hey let's not let context get in the way of it.

Last edited:

Some of us want to discuss what is happening with the team in 2021, not deal with people who keep bringing up the same old :poop: time and time again because they can't get over their butthurt left over from 2018-9.

This post is asinine, i.e. ass-like. They brought him back for little bit more money. Bill does not "gush about him everytime a mic is in his face". We don't know if we are signing another QB. We don't even know if Cam will be on the roster for Game 1, regardless of how certain you may be in your own mind about the future.

Cam is just a place holder, the definition of a "replacement level" player. The advantage he has over other free agents with similar AAVs like Tyrod Taylor and AJ McCarron ( ref: 2021 NFL Free Agents Tracker ) is that he is further up the learning curve than those guys are, he's well respected by players in this locker room and around the league, and he's willing to commit early to what very well may be a backup role or even being cut before Game 1.

It's pretty sad people are using terms like "delusional" and even "dementia" when talking about BB. He knows more about football than any of us, he knows exactly what Cam is and what Cam is not. He's watched more game film on an average Tuesday morning than most people here have watched in a lifetime.

It does make me wonder why people don't find a team they actually like and go root for them instead of flinging :poop: at BB and the Patriots.

Hey, I would be more than happy if cam puts up the stats he did in 2018 and the pats draft a top QB prospect.

Meh. Jakobi Meyers had a 63.4% rate with THE GOAT Brady and a 72.8% rate with Newton and he had double of the amount of targets with Newton than he did Brady, so a lot more chances for a lower catch %. Even Harry improved his catch % from Brady with Newton by 8%

Also doesn't take into account that maybe Matt Rhule & Joe Brady knew how to use Samuel better than Mike Shula and then Norv Turner knew how to use him. It also doesn't take into account 2019 when he had a 51.4% rate that only 17 targets were from Newton, the rest were Kyle Allen & Will Grier and in 2018 almost 30% of his targets were from Taylor Heincke & Kyle Allen.

But hey let's not let context get in the way of it.
fair enough.

so talking about context, you should review how much separation Meyers had in 2019 vs 2020 and look at the analytics on true catch %, etc also. but you failed to do so just as i did.

also, not sure if you're agreeing with my point or disagreeing. So Rhule figured out how to use him....so i should still be in the "Ehhh" category since we dont have Rhule to figure out how to use him?

(full disclosure - i think McD is average)

"We wanted someone in place before the start of free agency; we assessed all the free-agent options; and the idea of trying to build on 2020 with Cam -- at a modest financial price -- is the best choice right now based on the alternatives."

This is exactly what I've been saying. Cam is IT. The only potential option is if Mariota is cut, although Bill had a chance to sign him last year and didn't. In addition, there's going to be some competition for him and he's not coming for $6M. I think Pats are done spending on QB.

Stop dreaming about a Jimmy G reunion, it's not going to happen:

"According to a league source, New England called the 49ers recently about the availability of former Pats quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo but were told that Garoppolo wasn’t available right now."

Bill: Hey John, Bill here, so gotta ask you about Jimmy.
Lynch: Hey Bill been waiting for this call, hahahahaha hahahaha. Click

Belichick storms fuming out of his office into Fat Matt's office.

Bill: Matt get that contract with Cam done today. Make sure you're the one signing it. Don't want my name on it. That'll teach Tuggy, I mean Bob to force me to trade Jimmy. F*ck him.

And the rest is history. LMAO

Hey, I would be more than happy if cam puts up the stats he did in 2018 and the pats draft a top QB prospect.
Me too.

"We wanted someone in place before the start of free agency; we assessed all the free-agent options; and the idea of trying to build on 2020 with Cam -- at a modest financial price -- is the best choice right now based on the alternatives."
Not just a modest price, but also no long term commitment. I'm sure Mariota et al will want and will get more then one year elsewhere. Cam is in that "year to year backup or spot starter" phase of his career.

The bad drafting goes back at least 4 years.
Cousin....more money!!! It goes back about 5-8 years. Think Easley and the mediocre Malcom Brown.

If we have a good Draft this year, we know a trick....it was Monte and Nick C.

In all honesty and not a joke.,there are fellow posters on this site that could have done better. We have seen their Drafts. They were not Madden Drafts. They were done realistically......yet they pay those "professionals" hundreds of thousands of dollars.

DW Toys

Bill Belichick watched that QB last year. Bill Belichick knows more about football than any of us. Bill Belichick has shown 20 years of decision making that would clearly indicate he finds the level of play that guy put up to be completely unacceptable. Bill Belichick resigned him. He resigned him by communicating whatever it took for a guy who made it very clear he thinks he deserves to be a starter to abandon free agency and not even speak to another team. Something is wrong with Bill Belichick.

So you think that someone who doesn’t agree with every thing a team does can’t like that team and isn’t a fan? That’s idiotic.

This is exactly what I've been saying. Cam is IT. The only potential option is if Mariota is cut, although Bill had a chance to sign him last year and didn't. In addition, there's going to be some competition for him and he's not coming for $6M. I think Pats are done spending on QB.

Stop dreaming about a Jimmy G reunion, it's not going to happen:

"According to a league source, New England called the 49ers recently about the availability of former Pats quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo but were told that Garoppolo wasn’t available right now."

Bill: Hey John, Bill here, so gotta ask you about Jimmy.
Lynch: Hey Bill been waiting for this call, hahahahaha hahahaha. Click

Belichick storms fuming out of his office into Fat Matt's office.

Bill: Matt get that contract with Cam done today. Make sure you're the one signing it. Don't want my name on it. That'll teach Tuggy, I mean Bob to force me to trade Jimmy. F*ck him.

And the rest is history. LMAO
Where is that quote at the beginning of your post from?

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Back