PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Player Signing Cam newton resigned 1 year deal

Football is a team sport. So are the other team sports. That doesn't mean that people can't grasp the concept of same players and/or coaches being more important than others.

Give iy a try. Do some research. Check on something they call the "Most valuable player award", for starters.

Watched the Trey Lance session on NFLN there. I was impressed. Obviously the lack of film in 2020 is a concern from an evaluation perspective. I just wonder if he's a guy in play. The thing I like about having Cam inside the locker-room is that if we take one of these young guys they are going to be in a positive environment here. If we pick someone at 15 or higher.

Watched the Trey Lance session on NFLN there. I was impressed. Obviously the lack of film in 2020 is a concern from an evaluation perspective. I just wonder if he's a guy in play. The thing I like about having Cam inside the locker-room is that if we take one of these young guys they are going to be in a positive environment here. If we pick someone at 15 or higher.
If they can get him. They’re likely going to have to trade up into the top 10 and maybe even into the top 5 to snag him if they like him. I was obviously unsure where to slot him until I watched his All-22. But I like the kid. I have him behind Lawrence and Wilson, who will probably go 1-2.

If they can get him. They’re likely going to have to trade up into the top 10 and maybe even into the top 5 to snag him if they like him.
I agree. That being said, I am thinking more and more Bill drafts defense with pick 15, probably DL or LB. It is clear with the Cam signing he sees a long rebuild ahead of us and does not want to shell out money for the QB position right now.

I agree. That being said, I am thinking more and more Bill drafts defense with pick 15, probably DL or LB. It is clear with the Cam signing he sees a long rebuild ahead of us and does not want to shell out money for the QB position right now.
Meh. Cam is on a one year deal. That tells me that we’re looking at the QBOTF this year. I wouldn’t be surprised if he went defense with 15, though. And yes, it will be a long rebuild. If they screw up the offseason again, it’ll be even longer. One of the easiest ways they could possibly do that is missing at the QB position.

"Dont sleep on Cam in 2021"

That is what Cam stated in his video. Its happening again. Cam is back to start and play. Not sit on his *** and watch Stidham struggle. Furthermore, beating out Stidham for the # 1 spot is easy. Cam beat out the other Auburn QB while only in the playbook for a couple of months. Cam will have the information about the NE offense that Stidham had last season when he lost out on the job.

Meh. Cam is on a one year deal. That tells me that we’re looking at the QBOTF this year. I wouldn’t be surprised if he went defense with 15, though. And yes, it will be a long rebuild. If they screw up the offseason again, it’ll be even longer. One of the easiest ways they could possibly do that is missing at the QB position.
Cam was also on a one year deal last year LOL. I mean Bill would be content to keep doing this I think until he feels good about some QB. I really want us to fire all our bullets to get the guy but it just does not feel like that is going to happen which is very depressing.

Cam was also on a one year deal last year LOL. I mean Bill would be content to keep doing this I think until he feels good about some QB. I really want us to fire all our bullets to get the guy but it just does not feel like that is going to happen which is very depressing.
Heh. Almost hate to say this because it’ll trigger someone, but we had THE guy. Maybe we shouldn’t have allowed the guy to end all guys to get to UFA.

Bill should draft one @ 15

Just listened to a 4th and 2 podcast and one of the guys made an interesting point. If there's a run on offensive players in the draft , as it seems rumored to be possible, there could be a top 5 defensive player available at 15. If true I think they have to take him. Then use the cap money to get an offensive weapon.

I agree that it provides them a little bit of leverage but if Newton is going to be the starter then this team is at least 3 years from being a serious contender, so I would stay out of the big $$$ free agency and purge the expensive veterans while building back with lower cost FA’s and draft picks. Hightower is one of my favorite player’s but I would look at moving him and the other veterans who won’t be around when they return to being a serious contender. If they can still bring in a serious QB then I would look more at reloading and approach pretty much everything differently.

yeah, if we move up and land a lance, or even land a mond or trask a little later, i think 3 years could be shortened......

"piece of sh*t"? What the hell did the guy do to you? sheesh.

Besides the fact that he struggled playing the quarterback position at times last season, what do you have against the guy?
What is there to have for or against him than how he plays the qb position?
The only purpose of a player to a fan is what they do in the field.
Good guy or bad guy whether he is that on the New England Patriots or not on the New England Patriots doesn’t change anything. His only impact is on the field.

Cowherd said was from a source. He’s from Washington state and his reporting on The Wilson contract negotiations with the team was pretty much spot on. He went on to explain the conflict between Wilson and Carroll. Wilson blames the lack of a quality line and Pete’s old fashioned offensive ways. Pete blames Wilson thinking he’s too interception prone. The conflict is not reconcilable and while the Seahawks would rather trade him to an AFC team, the Bears have been really aggressive in pursuing Wilson. It was presented as sourced and not idle speculation.
Keep the HOF coach, let the HOF QB go, the fan base will understand since they're all mature adults, right?

Might not watch the games if Cam is the starter for 16 again.
Good for you, and guess what, it's probably going to be 17.

So this isn't a head-fake. It's real. BB loves Cam.
Bill has an odd way of showing love. If it was true love, Cam would be getting a Kirk Cousins deal, instead he can get cut for a $3.5M hit or traded for a $2M hit.

Except he was our starting QB last season and BB gushes about him. Do you at least acknowledge that the chances of him being our starting QB for this season have increase dramatically.

You’re acting rational and realistic but reality is you’re just in denial about the tragedy about to befall our team with another year of Cam Newton as QB
Doctor: If things don't change, you have six months to live.
Patient: Great, I'll be as miserable as I can be for those six months.

I agree that if we sign a #1 WR, a #2 WR, and a #1 TE (and an OG or C), we will have an OK offense. Is 4 top signings too much to ask?
Yes it is. There are 32 teams looking to make 'top signings'. Asking for four on one side of the ball seems to be asking too much. IMO it's at least one more year of rebuilding, more likely two, even if we do better than we have done at drafting and signing FAs lately. Hope the stores don't run out of Preparation H, there's going to be a lot of butthurt fans in NE.

Just listened to a 4th and 2 podcast and one of the guys made an interesting point. If there's a run on offensive players in the draft , as it seems rumored to be possible, there could be a top 5 defensive player available at 15. If true I think they have to take him. Then use the cap money to get an offensive weapon.
I do think we need to rebuild the DL and LB, not sure we're one offensive weapon away from being good.

Last edited:
Keep the HOF coach, let the HOF QB go, the fan base will understand since they're all mature adults, right?

Good for you, and guess what, it's probably going to be 17.

Bill has an odd way of showing love. If it was true love, Cam would be getting a Kirk Cousins deal, instead he can get cut for a $3.5M hit or traded for a $2M hit.

Doctor: If things don't change, you have six months to live.
Patient: Great, I'll be as miserable as I can be for those six months.

Yes it is. There are 32 other teams looking to make 'top signings'. Asking for four on one side of the ball seems to be asking too much. IMO it's at least one more year of rebuilding, more likely two. Hope the stores don't run out of Preparation H, there's going to be a lot of butthurt fans in NE.

I do think we need to rebuild the DL and LB, not sure we're one offensive weapon away from being good.

I agree. I should have worded that better. I was talking just about the one pick at 15. Use the cap space instead of the pick to get an offensive weapon and use the pick for a possible top 5 defensive player if one falls.

I think you can compare the WR group as they are largely the same. Brady had better TE's (marginally i know). Rex And white for more of the season but a worse line and no FB. I could be wrong but i think the line was inconsistent last year depending on injuries and was better at run blocking than pass protection. Cam i think can only be better. Coming into a new scheme in july with no preseason and a limited group of WR would be a challenge for anyone. He is limited and his mechanics aren't great but as a cheap fall back with a view to drafting a decent prospect in the draft i'm ok with it. Not over the moon but it could be worse.
Brady was hurt the second half of 2019. He never practiced. Reports were his elbow was the size of a grapefruit.
Certainly if not injured he would have been better in 2020. But when you have an injured 43 year old QB and no cap room to improve the team around him you can’t just be emotional.
Brady will be done some day soon. The unemotional decision is to move on when that time is likely near not after it has happened. 43 and injured to the point you can’t throw well qualified as likely near.
It cost them being a little better in 2020 because he did get healthy and it will cost them rebuilding with a new QBs rather than a 44 year old. I’m confident it cost them zero SBs and we will have to see what it gained them by moving 2 years earlier.

This one is interesting given that Carroll turns 70 in September and Wilson, only 32, has many years of good play left. Carroll does look good though, so who knows.

It cost them being a little better in 2020 because he did get healthy and it will cost them rebuilding with a new QBs rather than a 44 year old. I’m confident it cost them zero SBs and we will have to see what it gained them by moving 2 years earlier.
I'm over the moving on from Brady thing but Patriots were going to the SB at a two year clip. You think Pats go to SB this season with Brady as your QB and $70M in cap space and a glut of talented free agents?

Edit: just realized we wouldn't have $70M with Brady, so let's say $50M

Last edited:
I agree. I should have worded that better. I was talking just about the one pick at 15. Use the cap space instead of the pick to get an offensive weapon and use the pick for a possible top 5 defensive player if one falls.
I also should have worded my post better.

My main point is I'm pessimistic about converting the cap money into offensive weapons. Teams are very proactive about locking up their best weapons before they hit free agency. The ones that are on the market usually have flaws such as injury risk which will make them a gamble, yet the market bids up their price so high it ends up being a high stakes gamble.

An example: People here throw Golliday's name around, but PFT ( 2021 Free Agency: Ranking the NFL's top 200 free agents | NFL News, Rankings and Statistics | PFF ) projects it will take four years, $85 million ($21.25M APY): $57.5 million total guaranteed, $37.5 million fully guaranteed to sign him. Do we really picture BB dedicating >$20MM per year over four years to a WR?

I think at best we'll see him 'bottom feed' for players like Byrd, at least till we're good enough to be a player or two away from a deep playoff run, then we'll see something like the Brandon Cooks trade or the Revis FA signing. Till then he'll try to build the team one middle class player at a time and keep his powder dry till the overall talent level has improved a LOT more than what we have right now.

I think BB is far more bothered by our DL not being able to stop the run most of last season than he is about not having a top-five QB or WR or TE on the roster.

You think Pats go to SB this season with Brady as your QB and $70M in cap space and a glut of talented free agents?
I'm not seeing that glut of talented free agents, especially relative to the number of positions we need to fill.

I'm not seeing that glut of talented free agents, especially relative to the number of positions we need to fill.
True. There's a ton of bodies but the top guys have been either tagged or re-signed. There's still a handful of guys at S, DE, OL, WR.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back