PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Player Signing Cam newton resigned 1 year deal

Just listened to a 4th and 2 podcast and one of the guys made an interesting point. If there's a run on offensive players in the draft , as it seems rumored to be possible, there could be a top 5 defensive player available at 15. If true I think they have to take him. Then use the cap money to get an offensive weapon.
Pat Surtain Jr?

If he is a Revis/Law type CB you have to grab him imo.

I'm over the moving on from Brady thing but Patriots were going to the SB at a two year clip. You think Pats go to SB this season with Brady as your QB and $70M in cap space and a glut of talented free agents?

Edit: just realized we wouldn't have $70M with Brady, so let's say $50M
I’d Brady was the qb they would have 20 million. The money they didn’t pay him last year (which came from the opt outs) carried forward to this year so both years would be hitting this cap.
So no 20 mill would not be enough to even get the team back to last year level ie replacing the free agents such as thuney, guy, white, Byrd, Simon, McCourty, Andrews. About 8 of that is already gone to Brown and people want to pay Andrews 10.

Outlaw Josie Wales

5cddc82721903.image.jpg

This one is interesting given that Carroll turns 70 in September and Wilson, only 32, has many years of good play left. Carroll does look good though, so who knows.
I’ve seen younger looking senior citizens with dementia. An old boss of mine once said my Alzheimer’s ravaged mother “looked normal”. He meant no harm, I’m sure. She died at 70 still looking normal and younger than she was .

Synapses deteriorate with age just as surely as knees, elbows, backs and shoulders. It happens later in life, but it happens. I’ve never seen a 70 year old who was still as competent as they were at 60, and I’ve observed a couple of generations go through the process.

Carroll like Bill has way too much power for his own good as he proceeds with his cognitive decline. 10 years ago Carroll would still have had the sense to know he should smooth things over with Wilson. Success has given both men way too many sycophants to keep them from being reigned in for their own good. Bill has done a whole lot more to earn his sycophants than Pete, however.

Seattle’s ownership and fan base will regret they didn’t give Carroll a retirement party before he traded off their franchise QB for a handful of seeds.

I’ve seen younger looking senior citizens with dementia. An old boss of mine once said my Alzheimer’s ravaged mother “looked normal”. He meant no harm, I’m sure. She died at 70 still looking normal and younger than she was .

Synapses deteriorate with age just as surely as knees, elbows, backs and shoulders. It happens later in life, but it happens. I’ve never seen a 70 year old who was still as competent as they were at 60, and I’ve observed a couple of generations go through the process.

Carroll like Bill has way too much power for his own good as he proceeds with his cognitive decline. 10 years ago Carroll would still have had the sense to know he should smooth things over with Wilson. Success has given both men way too many sycophants to keep them from being reigned in for their own good. Bill has done a whole lot more to earn his sycophants than Pete, however.

Seattle’s ownership and fan base will regret they didn’t give Carroll a retirement party before he traded off their franchise QB for a handful of seeds.
Ben Bova, the science-fiction writer who just died of COVID at 88, was sharp until (at least) very near the end. I don't mean "sharp" as in, for an older guy, I mean razor sharp.

I do agree that this is the exception to the very general rule, however. But I've known folks well into their 70's who are just fine who show little to no cognitive decline, and oftentimes, decline in areas where it matters little (like forgetting a word or where you put your keys - not the big ticket items).

Co
His presence also increased birth rates and decreased the number of terminal diseases in a 20 mile radius around his house.
I’ve always told my Wife that us having 5 children was Brady’s fault. It’s about time someone else jumps on ship!!

After sleeping on things and having some time to reflect and be rational about things, i have to admit, bringing back Scam is still stupid as hell. Good morning

Yeah I wasn't a huge fan of the throw, but a WR an inch or too taller catches that ball. Your margin for error is little to none when throwing to midget WR's. In the end, I still think Welker should've caught it. In fact, he dropped another back backer a year later in the 2012 AFCCG that would've put the Pats in Ravens territory. That was the beginning of their downfall in that game.
Even a midget like Welker would've caught that pass if he had run The Proper Route based on the coverage, EXACTLY like Brady expected he would...

I have no problem, all things considered, with bringing back Cam on a $5m contract. As a vet backup he's worth that. BB will be trying to land another guy whether a draft pick or veteran, but if he can't, and Cam ends up as our #1, and we spend our picks and cap space on shoring up the rest of our team, it's all good. He's gonna be MUCH more effective this year assuming we can improve the weapons at least somewhat.

Former MVP, 1st overall pick and Heisman trophy winner signs for only 3.5 million guaranteed. It is kind of sad and I would think humiliating for Cam. Why would he do it?? He does not need the money. He is already rich. It does make me wonder if

1) BB promised him the inside track for the starters job OR
2) BB intends to cut him after they sign the UFA's they want to and the pick up a veteran QB. If this were to happen Cam gets to keep the 3.5 million without playing a down for it.

3.) He enjoys playing football, enjoys playing for Bill Belichick, and would like the opportunity to continue to play football and compete on the New England Patriots.

4) Every Other Team knows that he feckin Sucks.

After sleeping on things and having some time to reflect and be rational about things, i have to admit, bringing back Scam is still stupid as hell. Good morning
That gave me a good laugh. Yeah signing him is bad moral for the team. Rewarding the worst QB in the NFL shows most fans/players you’re not trying as an organization. If Bill refused to bench him last season, I don’t have confidence Cam signed prior to FA understanding he may have QB competition.

junk? Our receivers are better than a couple of teams in the NFL.
No they're not...Our WRs And TEs are Both the Worst in the league; and collectively, they might be the Worst this Century.

...or am I not detecting the sarcasm?

No they're not...Our WRs And TEs are Both the Worst in the league; and collectively, they might be the Worst this Century.

...or am I not detecting the sarcasm?
Only team close is the maybe the Jets and that’s about it.

To put a positive spin on potentially watching him QB another full season, I think this'll be the year I try a lot of new alcohol during football games.

The majority of the problem Cam had last year had nothing to do with the talent at receiver. Cam had a better line, a better running game and the receiver were open more often than with Brady in 2019.

Cam threw consistently in the ground or in the defensive lineman face. He was slow going through his progression, had trouble identifying pressure.
Aka he sucks

STFU with your BS...I'm not in denial about a dyam thing. I posted how I feel about things using my SIXTY YEARS as a rabid Patriots fan. YOU are a nutjob fixated on hating this particular player. Whatever happens, it's obvious YOU will be the last one to know.

I am not the nutjob fixated on hating Cam Newton. I’m the nutjob fixated on hating BB. You’re confusing me with someone else.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back