PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Player Signing Cam newton resigned 1 year deal

really a stupid waste of time to show a rare pass by a P.O.S. who should retire - even a blind squirrel finds a nut now and then - Cam will once again be at the bottom of QB standings in 2021/22 - just praying its not on this team or he keeps the bench occupied and lets a real QB take over - BB got the scrap heap of NFL Quarterbacks right now

It's March 13th. MARCH....THIRTEENTH!!!!! Nothing is written in stone at this point. This is basically a sound business decision. NO ONE KNOWS how the draft will shake out yet. NO ONE KNOWS what will happen when free agency opens. NO ONE KNOWS what the other 31 teams in the league are going to do personnel wise. Guaranteed contracts don't exist in the NFL (Kirk Cousins notwithstanding). Cam can just as easily be jettisoned if certain scenarios occur in the future as he suit up as week one starter. Making all these assumptions at this point is basically just mental masturbation.

I know we clash sometimes Joker, but this is 100% bang-on. Perfect post.

really a stupid waste of time to show a rare pass by a P.O.S. who should retire - even a blind squirrel finds a nut now and then - Cam will once again be at the bottom of QB standings in 2021/22 - just praying its not on this team or he keeps the bench occupied and lets a real QB take over - BB got the scrap heap of NFL Quarterbacks right now

"piece of sh*t"? What the hell did the guy do to you? sheesh.

Besides the fact that he struggled playing the quarterback position at times last season, what do you have against the guy?

I know we clash sometimes Joker, but this is 100% bang-on. Perfect post.
nothing personal...it's a message board...sometimes I'm brutally honest in how I feel and use boorish tactics in my responses. I like to think I'm in the stands when I'm here online. As Tunes will attest, I have a big mouth. With something like this,I think we, as Patriots fans, have to take a long look at all the factors going into a decision like this and reserve the napalm for later on when everything finally shakes out.

It's March 13th. MARCH....THIRTEENTH!!!!! Nothing is written in stone at this point. This is basically a sound business decision. NO ONE KNOWS how the draft will shake out yet. NO ONE KNOWS what will happen when free agency opens. NO ONE KNOWS what the other 31 teams in the league are going to do personnel wise. Guaranteed contracts don't exist in the NFL (Kirk Cousins notwithstanding). Cam can just as easily be jettisoned if certain scenarios occur in the future as he suit up as week one starter. Making all these assumptions at this point is basically just mental masturbation.
We can only read what we have, and we have to try filling in the blanks as best we can. Also, we have to accept that it's at least possible for future developments to change the direction of the franchise. Having said that, and reading as much of the context as we can, Cam's contract, while it's for peanuts, appears to be a contract designed for a QB who's expecting to be the starter and to have a chance to convert a lot of the contract's incentives as a way of making up for some of the cheapness of the base deal. We can note the difference between it and the Mariota deal, where Mariota looks to get paid pretty well even if he's just sitting on the bench.

Otherwise, while it's a crap contract for a starter, it's a crap contract even for a backup.

nothing personal...it's a message board...sometimes I'm brutally honest in how I feel and use boorish tactics in my responses. I like to think I'm in the stands when I'm here online. As Tunes will attest, I have a big mouth. With something like this,I think we, as Patriots fans, have to take a long look at all the factors going into a decision like this and reserve the napalm for later on when everything finally shakes out.

"sound business decision" is about as succinct and spot-on as it gets. The team needs a QB under contract for a variety of reasons - stability, being able to show FAs who is here, and having a warm body should the draft / FA / trade pursuits not shake out.

If the guaranteed money was bigger, or Cam was an assh*le, it wouldn't have happened. But the team clearly loves the guy and that contract is so goddamn economical. $3.5m guaranteed is cheaper than a lot of the kickers in the NFL.

Belichick would've been dumb not to do this deal even if they already had a starter already in place. Cam, let alone any vet QB at that salary, starter or backup, is a steal. Probably the only way you could get one cheaper is a late-round draft pick / UDFA on a rookie contract.

Well, this is what I wanted. Don't care what no one else thinks. One more season. A chance for redemption, a chance to prove all the haters wrong in a (hopefully) post-pandemic world. In Belichick I trust, in Cam I trust. 2021, let's go.
2020 - Part Deux, the Post-Covid edition: "Run it Back"
Starring an all star cast:
Cam "DJ Ace Boogie" Newton
Brian "The Hoyster" Hoyer
Jarrett "Stidy" Stidham

Last edited:
Fun fact:

If Newton increase his TD production by 50%, he'll have 12 TDs this season.

For Brady, it'd be 60 TDs.

Fun fact:

If Newton increase his TD production by 50%, he'll have 12 TDs this season.

For Brady, it'd be 60 TDs.
Tom Brady "only" had 24 passing TDs in 2019, and people here were saying he was washed. This year, Cam Newton threw for just 8 TDs and people are defending him.

The juxtaposition of those positions would be hilarious, if it were less pathetic.

To be fair, as we all know, Pats weapons have been terrible past 2 years. Even Tom Terrific, after hot start in 2019, struggled for majority of season. The last 12 games (including 1 playoff loss), he threw for 14 TDs and had a passer rating above 90 in only 2 of those games. In 7 of the last 8 games his completion percentage was under 56%. Hopefully Cam is the back-up, or starts first few games, before our first round hot shot rookie takes over...but all the people who think Brady would have made any real difference last year are fooling themselves. Obviously better than Cam, but probably 9-7, instead of 7-9, and most likely a continuation of the last half of 2019, where even the Great One struggled with our terrible receiving corps.
The majority of the problem Cam had last year had nothing to do with the talent at receiver. Cam had a better line, a better running game and the receiver were open more often than with Brady in 2019.

Cam threw consistently in the ground or in the defensive lineman face. He was slow going through his progression, had trouble identifying pressure.

How much of the contract is guaranteed? i'm seeing figures ranging between 3-9M. If it's 9M i'm a lot less keen on this but at less than that and with drafting a decent QB in the draft it's easier to swallow.

Finally figured out why Bill signed Cam yesterday. Right before FAcy begins.

He can continue to use the line he used with Revis: "well I can't pay you more than the QB."
The genius that is Belichick.

#IBBWT

The majority of the problem Cam had last year had nothing to do with the talent at receiver. Cam had a better line, a better running game and the receiver were open more often than with Brady in 2019.

Cam threw consistently in the ground or in the defensive lineman face. He was slow going through his progression, had trouble identifying pressure.

I don't think you can say the receivers weren't a factor. The talent level is very very low and that has to be a factor plus almost 0 output from the TE's. All your points regarding Cam are true. it was depressing to see the obvious pressure that was coming and yet cam seemingly couldn't see it and adjust. His mechanics were awful but Brady struggled hugely with the same receivers to the point we thought he was washed up which was clearly wrong.

Brady struggled hugely with the same receivers to the point we thought he was washed up which was clearly wrong.
A lot of us didn't buy the washed up theory. A lot of us saw the problems with the OL, and the increasing problems with the WRs, and knew that the problems lay elsewhere. And, when you look back to analyze last season, you can see the week of the final straw having broken the camel's back. It's week 7, against the Jets. That's the Game after Gordon's Patriot career effectively ended, and it's the first game without having either Develin or Johnson to help with the pass blocking.

But Cam had a better OL in front of him, and he had Johnson for the full season. We can argue the merits of the WR group in the second half of the 2019 season versus the entirety of the 2020 season, but that'll still leave the huge advantage for Cam when it comes to protection.

So the comp doesn't really work.

Has the feeling of a Tim Wakefield situation. He gets to earn his yearly $4m. We don't know which Tim is coming out to pitch (Filthy Good - not like we saw much of this - or Spectacularly Bad), but it'll be an adventure. Hopefully, some of that money we save can go to a D that doesn't give up 250yds in a game to the worst rushing team. Mulligan over. Let's what they can really do.

View attachment 31084

that separation stat is bs. Basically defenders are stacking the box and ignoring receivers. They know Cam can’t throw

Except he was our starting QB last season and BB gushes about him. Do you at least acknowledge that the chances of him being our starting QB for this season have increase dramatically.

You’re acting rational and realistic but reality is you’re just in denial about the tragedy about to befall our team with another year of Cam Newton as QB

that separation stat is bs. Basically defenders are stacking the box and ignoring receivers. They know Cam can’t throw
Or they know our receiving options are junk.

Can look at it a multitude of ways.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back