PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Player Signing Cam newton resigned 1 year deal

So let me get this straight. BB offered Brady 1 yr for $22m and he's offering Cam Newton 1 yr for $14m.

WTF IS GOING ON HERE.

Is our FO deliberately sabotaging our team? What explains this senility?

Should I tell him that it was established 12 hours ago that it isn’t really a $14m contract, at all, or does someone else want to do that?

An opinion/take being popular makes it right? Besides it being (very likely) wrong, it is distasteful to those who've actually watched a family member succumb to cognitive decline/dementia/Alzheimer's. Lost my grandfather (dad's father) in Feb. 2014 due to a combination of age and dementia - he was in his early 90s.

I guess it's possible it's happening in Belichick, but seems extraordinarily unlikely. Just seems like off-the-cuff internet trolling/"humor".

Dementia is definitely the way I do not want to go. Sorry for your loss.

So let me get this straight. BB offered Brady 1 yr for $22m and he's offering Cam Newton 1 yr for $14m.

WTF IS GOING ON HERE.

You're being willfully ignorant. It's been widely reported as of hours ago that Newton is only getting about $3.5m guaranteed. Perhaps less than that if he's cut before the start of the season.

Stop trolling.

WTF IS GOING ON HERE.

9d29a705bb.png

The louder and more belligerently one screams in outrage about something they know nothing absolutely nothing about, the more right it makes them.

Welcome to the internet.

Former MVP, 1st overall pick and Heisman trophy winner signs for only 3.5 million guaranteed. It is kind of sad and I would think humiliating for Cam. Why would he do it?? He does not need the money. He is already rich. It does make me wonder if

1) BB promised him the inside track for the starters job OR
2) BB intends to cut him after they sign the UFA's they want to and the pick up a veteran QB. If this were to happen Cam gets to keep the 3.5 million without playing a down for it.

Former MVP, 1st overall pick and Heisman trophy winner signs for only 3.5 million guaranteed. It is kind of sad and I would think humiliating for Cam. Why would he do it?? He does not need the money. He is already rich. It does make me wonder if

2) BB intends to cut him after they sign the UFA's they want to and the pick up a veteran QB. If this were to happen Cam gets to keep the 3.5 million without playing a down for it.

3.) He enjoys playing football, enjoys playing for Bill Belichick, and would like the opportunity to continue to play football and compete on the New England Patriots.

View attachment 31073

Less than 60% completion %, less than 4000 pass yards, and double digits INTs for the almost unanimous MVP. And fewer rush TDs and only 40 yards less rushing than he had in 2020 with us. Alrighty then.

Borges was the one that voted for Palmer lol.
Man the injuries that season hurt. Brady easily had MVP that season until almost the whole offense got injured. Through 8 games with a healthy offense he was 8-0 with 22 TD/2 INT. Add on the 4 games because of the BS suspension in 2016, and it's plausible he wins three straight MVP's.

Should I tell him that it was established 12 hours ago that it isn’t really a $14m contract, at all, or does someone else want to do that?

Just leave him be. Telling him now would be like telling a kid on Christmas Eve that there's no such thing as Santa and there won't be any presents under the tree.

Being pissed off about the Patriots is the whole point of following the team, why would you take that away from him?!

I don't know how you convince a veteran to sign here when they know that Cam is Bill's guy. Everyone saw what Cam put on tape last year and yet Bill still brought him back. If I am a veteran QB looking for a job I don't know if I would truly get a fair shot here.
They will if the money is right and all the other starting jobs have been taken. My despair is receding. After the draft, someone else will become available who doesn’t need to windup to throw the ball down the field.

Why would he sign now and forfeit his free agency if he wasn’t given assurances.
This is a guy who made no bones about his feeling that he should be a starter.
Because Cam was a free agent only 8 months ago. He and his agent must know there’s no other interest out there. I don’t think Newton was promised anything.

Why the contract? Why more than the minimum? Bill was almost apologetic about the contract Cam signed last season. I suspect the $3.5 m is a deliberate overpay for last season’s underpay.

You know I’ve reached the point where I have trouble giving Bill the benefit of the doubt. That I believe the job is too big for a 69 year to do as well as when he was 49 or 59. But, I can’t bring myself to believe Bill doesn’t see the throwing limitations Cam has as clearly as we do.

I still believe Jimmy Garappolo with eventually be available. That Kyle Shanahan really wants to upgrade. If not Darnold, then maybe Matt Ryan after the draft. I expect the Pats to be busy in free agency. They have too much money to spend to not be. They will surprise and go for quality over quantity. They’ll probably have to overpay which they will deny because the contracts will be shorter in length without the fake numbers at the backend which they can do with their cap situation over the next couple of seasons.

Well, this is what I wanted. Don't care what no one else thinks. One more season. A chance for redemption, a chance to prove all the haters wrong in a (hopefully) post-pandemic world. In Belichick I trust, in Cam I trust. 2021, let's go.

Has the feeling of a Tim Wakefield situation. He gets to earn his yearly $4m. We don't know which Tim is coming out to pitch (Filthy Good - not like we saw much of this - or Spectacularly Bad), but it'll be an adventure. Hopefully, some of that money we save can go to a D that doesn't give up 250yds in a game to the worst rushing team. Mulligan over. Let's what they can really do.

Screen Shot 2021-03-13 at 12.33.11 AM.png

It's March 13th. MARCH....THIRTEENTH!!!!! Nothing is written in stone at this point. This is basically a sound business decision. NO ONE KNOWS how the draft will shake out yet. NO ONE KNOWS what will happen when free agency opens. NO ONE KNOWS what the other 31 teams in the league are going to do personnel wise. Guaranteed contracts don't exist in the NFL (Kirk Cousins notwithstanding). Cam can just as easily be jettisoned if certain scenarios occur in the future as he suit up as week one starter. Making all these assumptions at this point is basically just mental masturbation.

Nobody else would take him. And unlike with Brady, BB actually wanted Cam to stay.

It's a wonder what happens when you tell someone you actually want them on the team.

We all know BB the curmudgeon helped push Tom out the door, that's why Brady is celebrating Superbowl Win #7 in Tampa Bay instead of New England.

What BB sees with Cam Newton and absolutely LOVES is his favorite type of project, a reclamation project. Who knows if it will work out but Cam's ARM looked absolutely DEAD last season.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back