PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Cam? Again? Oh No!

Cam has no experience with the new Matty P offense, doesn’t really make sense.
Exactly. He complained about having to "learn a new language" previously and blamed that on his struggles. I see no benefit in bringing him in. Unless Hoyer is atrocious and Zappe has looked horrible, they're likely going to ride things out with those two for the rest of the time until Mac can come back.

I still thought Cam was decent before his bout with covid, especially considering the 2020 receiving corps which makes the current group look like the greatest show on turf. Still, I don't see much benefit to this unless Hoyer/Zappe are far below decent. Even in that case, a high draft pick sounds pretty good right now.

First day of training camp they shared reps between Zappe and Mac. I thought Mac should get most of the work but they foresaw something. It brought back the vibe of training camp in 2001 super bowl season when I think they had 5 QB's in camp. They were practicing Brady hard giving him a lot of reps the day I was there. EDIT: it was first day of pads in camp that I went this season.

Last edited:
He is such a good teammate tho
I was gonna post earlier..."Don't forget, if you are going to belittle Cam's skills, be sure to first incorporate the obligatory "Great teammate / great leader" homage.

I'll be finding something else to do on Sundays if Cam is our QB again. Not interested in watching another "passing" game like that. Once was enough.
I'd take cam over hoyer.

At least cam would bring (as another user posted) the start of a clown show and it'd be funny television. Hoyer is just mehhhh

Cam has no experience with the new Matty P offense, doesn’t really make sense.
Neither does Matty P or anyone else for that matter. It's perfect.

I'll be finding something else to do on Sundays if Cam is our QB again. Not interested in watching another "passing" game like that. Once was enough.

And he's a sexist moron as well

Exactly. He complained about having to "learn a new language" previously and blamed that on his struggles. I see no benefit in bringing him in. Unless Hoyer is atrocious and Zappe has looked horrible, they're likely going to ride things out with those two for the rest of the time until Mac can come back.
Cam's 1.0 Patriots experience was bad enough so there is no circumstance where he's coming back. Mac is the franchise's QB1 but he hasn't played well for awhile now... not just in the new system either, he was struggling in the latter part of last season. Clearly this season they're trying to open up the passing game more and it's led to the increased turnovers. Part of it's on the quarterback but the Jones-Parker connection has been consistently problematic. The coaching/play-calling has been an issue at times... for an example the INT in the Miami game.

For whatever Bedard's opinion is worth, his observation is Hoyer is a better downfield passer than Jones. I'm curious to see how that plays out as you would assume they're going to run the same offense. Probably Hoyer isn't that big of a drop off from Jones right now and with the schedule softening up (after Green Bay) I would expect the team will go no worse than 4-2 weeks 5-11 no matter who's under center... meaning Hoyer or Jones... hard no on Zappe.

Cam's 1.0 Patriots experience was bad enough so there is no circumstance where he's coming back. Mac is the franchise's QB1 but he hasn't played well for awhile now... not just in the new system either, he was struggling in the latter part of last season. Clearly this season they're trying to open up the passing game more and it's led to the increased turnovers. Part of it's on the quarterback but the Jones-Parker connection has been consistently problematic. The coaching/play-calling has been an issue at times... for an example the INT in the Miami game.

For whatever Bedard's opinion is worth, his observation is Hoyer is a better downfield passer than Jones. I'm curious to see how that plays out as you would assume they're going to run the same offense. Probably Hoyer isn't that big of a drop off from Jones right now and with the schedule softening up (after Green Bay) I would expect the team will go no worse than 4-2 weeks 5-11 no matter who's under center... meaning Hoyer or Jones... hard no on Zappe.
Hoyer's biggest issue is he can't play a full 60 minutes without losing it at some point, which has been his issue. I don't think he reads defenses as well as Mac, either. So I'd have to disagree on the "isn't that big of a drop off" sentiment. Physically, you could make that argument but mentally, it's not even close.

Well if we're dumpster diving for another QB, why not Josh Rosen. He was the #10 overall pick of the 2018 draft. He's been a bust so far, but who knows, he had upside at one time.
I would say that if Mac was out for the year and if they felt Zappe wasn't a viable option behind Hoyer if Hoyer got hurt. Otherwise, I think they'll stay the course unless something changes. But it is kind of nuts how fast his sudden implosion happened...that was an odd one.

Hoyer's biggest issue is he can't play a full 60 minutes without losing it at some point, which has been his issue. I don't think he reads defenses as well as Mac, either. So I'd have to disagree on the "isn't that big of a drop off" sentiment. Physically, you could make that argument but mentally, it's not even close.
That's an interesting perspective. I was thinking from a mental standpoint, Hoyer's experience is a bonus. Doesn't he often get referred to as a de facto QB coach? I think he can read a defense but the limitations of his physical talent holds him back.

In the long run I agree the team is better off with Mac. Hoyer obviously isn't an NFL caliber starting quarterback... he's 0-17 in his last 17 starts dating back to 2016. However, I don't think Hoyer drags the team into the gutter over the next several weeks with the way the schedule is set. After Green Bay they have 6 very winnable games in a row... should be no worse than 4-2 there. I'm assuming they'll need Mac back healthy for the final 7 games when the schedule gets a lot tougher.

That's an interesting perspective. I was thinking from a mental standpoint, Hoyer's experience is a bonus. Doesn't he often get referred to as a de facto QB coach? I think he can read a defense but the limitations of his physical talent holds him back.

In the long run I agree the team is better off with Mac. Hoyer obviously isn't an NFL caliber starting quarterback... he's 0-17 in his last 17 starts dating back to 2016. However, I don't think Hoyer drags the team into the gutter over the next several weeks with the way the schedule is set. After Green Bay they have 6 very winnable games in a row... should be no worse than 4-2 there. I'm assuming they'll need Mac back healthy for the final 7 games when the schedule gets a lot tougher.
Some of the best coaches in the game are people who have great 3rd party perspective but just don’t or didn’t have the mental ability to do it in real time as players. That’s sort of where I feel like Hoyer falls and that’s also something Belichick I think has valued enough to keep him around.

Last edited:
I hope this is not true because I just don’t think at this stage in Cams career that he is going to be any better than the backups we have.

I’d say give the rookie a try if Hoyer can’t. If we go with Cam I have a feeling we will go backwards even further.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
Back