PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bucs at Dolphins game moved to week 11 due to Hurricane Irma; brutal schedule for Dolphins

The spaghetti models (most of them anyway) now have this storm shifting further east. You wouldn't know that up here in North Florida, though. The news is making this out to be the end of days and playing on the fact that Jacksonville never really gets hit by hurricanes. I couldn't get gas this morning because there was a line 45 minutes long of people in panic mode. This storm is still yet to hit Haiti. Come on, now.

Or maybe the players from Miami aren't going to want to be playing football while their homes and communities are being annihilated.

NFL made the right decision here. People are acting like no team ever played 16-in-a-row before; that actually used to be the norm (once upon a time).

Good point.

The spaghetti models (most of them anyway) now have this storm shifting further east. You wouldn't know that up here in North Florida, though. The news is making this out to be the end of days and playing on the fact that Jacksonville never really gets hit by hurricanes. I couldn't get gas this morning because there was a line 45 minutes long of people in panic mode. This storm is still yet to hit Haiti. Come on, now.
The spaghetti models are lines representing the center of the storm. This behemoth is wide enough that if the center of the storm goes up the coast, pretty much the entire Florida peninsula will get hit. Fortunately, as you noted, the projections shifted east in the past 12 hours, but there is still a lot of time left for things to shift again and a hit on Miami is, at this point, a virtual certainty.

It is a lose-lose situation for the authorities. If you tell people to prepare for the worst and nothing happens, you are accused of inciting a panic for no reason. If you don't get people prepared and the storm hits hard, you have Katrina all over again.

Appearantly the Eagles and Steelers offered their stadiums but a compromise on concessions sales and worries about overall money couldn't be reached.
A week one bye is brutal.

Some owner whose team was away week one should have offered their stadium as a 3rd party site with 100% of profits from concessions going to hurricane relief.

The spaghetti models are lines representing the center of the storm. This behemoth is wide enough that if the center of the storm goes up the coast, pretty much the entire Florida peninsula will get hit. Fortunately, as you noted, the projections shifted east in the past 12 hours, but there is still a lot of time left for things to shift again and a hit on Miami is, at this point, a virtual certainty.

It is a lose-lose situation for the authorities. If you tell people to prepare for the worst and nothing happens, you are accused of inciting a panic for no reason. If you don't get people prepared and the storm hits hard, you have Katrina all over again.
I can understand people preparing for the worst in South Florida, but there isn't a reason for it in North Florida right now. You would think there's a threat of a nuclear strike if you watched the news up here right now.

I think everyone in the Keys and Miami/Homestead/Lauderdale should have already evacuated by now.

This is silly. Can't they just move it to another stadium. I know they are worried about fans traveling to the game but it isn't a big deal if the stadium isn't totally full and less unfair to the Miami and the Bucs in the long run. Better to miss a few million in ticket sales than put players in jeopardy like this..

Oh right... the NFL doesn't care about that. Forgot.
No if I am a player I want to be with my family more than worry about a bye

No if I am a player I want to be with my family more than worry about a bye

Though i hate to speak is such broad generalities. I doubt the families of the players are suffering.

I can understand people preparing for the worst in South Florida, but there isn't a reason for it in North Florida right now. You would think there's a threat of a nuclear strike if you watched the news up here right now.

I think everyone in the Keys and Miami/Homestead/Lauderdale should have already evacuated by now.
Lol the shelves go empty here for every snow storm even though I can't ever recall being snowed in for days in my lifetime.

Not as brutal as a week 17 bye, which the Patriots once had. That bye ended up not being the final week of the regular season due to the events of September 11, but that is the way it was when the original schedule came out.

So you're saying that Miami is going to win the Super Bowl this year?

So you're saying that Miami is going to win the Super Bowl this year?
No no... that would've been if this happened at the end of the season. :D

Miami will be lucky to win 7..... although it is worth noting that one of the reasons the Patriots were the team selected to have the Week 17 bye is because they were a team everyone "was sure" wouldn't make the playoffs so it wouldn't matter much. I think we all know how that turned out.

Though i hate to speak is such broad generalities. I doubt the families of the players are suffering.
They probably aren't "suffering" compared to many others, but their lives are nevertheless being completely uprooted for a period of time, mandatory evacuations have been declared, supplies are running short, and it is certainly a frightening situation for all involved.

I don't care how rich someone is, a real man would put his family before his job (that line of thinking does not apply to everyone, but it certainly applies to those whose jobs are nothing more than a couple hours of mindless entertainment for the masses).

Last edited:
Not suffering per se, but a lot of preparation, worry, and evacuation, and certainly including the wealthy in that.

Why? Wealth in south Florida often leads you to buy oceanfront property, the kind that doesn't take too well to the types of waves (over 35 feet) occurring right now, where Irma is hitting, not to mention 185 mph winds. "Hurricane proof" anything doesn't really apply to such wind speeds and storm surge.

Not suffering per se, but a lot of preparation, worry, and evacuation, and certainly including the wealthy in that.

Why? Wealth in south Florida often leads you to buy oceanfront property, the kind that doesn't take too well to the types of waves (over 35 feet) occurring right now, where Irma is hitting, not to mention 185 mph winds. "Hurricane proof" anything doesn't really apply to such wind speeds and storm surge.
Watch some game film of this storm before it hits for sure too ;).

LOL!

Patriots were 2-14 that year (that's how we got Bledsoe with the #1 overall). I don't think rescheduling the bye really did much damage to their playoff hopes. Something tells me that Patriots were mostly responsible for the L's in that 7-13 statistic.

EDIT: I looked it up.... the 2 teams were 5-5 going into the game

I'm in Kissimmee (central Florida) and we're preparing to ride it out. I work in a supermarket which makes acquiring things easier but the water is all gone. Everywhere.

1. IIRC the "normal" pattern for hurricanes is to go up the coast (Nor'Easter anyone).
2. The estimated arrival time around bottom of FL-Miami area is Sat night-Sun morning.

My conclusion1: NYJFL should have (considered or at least tentatively) moved the game to a Sun night game (storm could be up by JAX by then and screwing their fans from making it to a MIA home game). If it doesnt turn by Friday you could still make the stupid week 11 decision.

Appearantly the Eagles and Steelers offered their stadiums but a compromise on concessions sales and worries about overall money couldn't be reached.
A week one bye is brutal.
God forbid the NFL
Lol the shelves go empty here for every snow storm even though I can't ever recall being snowed in for days in my lifetime.
You either didn't live through, or don't remember, the Blizzard of 1978. That is the only time I can remember this happening around here, although more recently my electricity has gone out for days at a time on several occassions (which sucks too).

God forbid the NFL

You either didn't live through, or don't remember, the Blizzard of 1978. That is the only time I can remember this happening around here, although more recently my electricity has gone out for days at a time on several occassions (which sucks too).
Only 25 here, heard of it though. Lost power for like a week few years back and Hannaford only powered the beer aisle lol.

there isn't really a "normal" for how they approach and exit Florida, other than the common factor of most often turning northeast at some point.

Some biggies have crossed Florida East to West, West to East, danced a jig and done both, gone south to north. They have rushed through and have stalled in place.

Everything except maybe north to south.

http://www.mawsweather.com/costlycanes.jpg

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes