PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Broncos request permission to speak to jerod mayo

Anyone who thinks Flores is going to revert back to a DC role is out of their mind. He is one of the most desirable head coaching options out there now.
Can't believe people are still saying this... not a chance in hell... Flores did an excellent job in Miami considering the awful roster and piss poor ownership. He will have no trouble at all getting another HC job. Much respect to him, his Dolphins teams gave NE the business more often than not.

Anyone who thinks Flores is going to revert back to a DC role is out of their mind. He is one of the most desirable head coaching options out there now.
Yea. For all we know everything between he and Mia could’ve been mutual, and he wanted to go while the getting is still good.

I think while the jets stay down in the cellar Mia may be my least favorite team in the division.

Donkeys doing Rooney Rule compliance, nothing more…

No organization in its right mind would hire him after this statistical fraud of a season by this defense.

1. I think it's indisputable that there's absolutely a Good Ole Boys type of mentality and hiring behavior where every single year you have total retread crappy coaches who get 3rd and 4th chances despite sucking, or completely in over their head guys who became HC's because their last name was Kiffin or a guy skips 3 steps, 3 jobs, and goes from QB coach or ST coach to head coach. (or on the GM side a guy goes from being a pastor / "culture" coach to running a franchise)

2. On the flip side, it rubs people the wrong way when any minority coach interviews because of the Rooney Rule or whatever other rule.

3. It's pretty silly if something like 80% of the players are black but the only black NFL head coaches are Tomlin and Cullen down in Houston (2/32). Again, pretty plain and obvious that the Good Ole Boys hiring behavior is real and I am not sure what to do about this one. Probably a sign of the rest of society as well. I don't even know who else there is if one extends this to any minority, is Ron Rivera still coaching? Anyways it's a real small list.

4. Even on the Pats, Flores paid his dues for like 15 years, never actually had the DC title, while a bunch of other guys kept getting moved up. No surprise his HC opportunity was with a black GM. I don't know how to solve this macro situation. End of the day, some people keep hiring based on comfort, "fit", and basically other euphemisms for what they're most familiar with.

Last edited:
1. I think it's indisputable that there's absolutely a Good Ole Boys type of mentality and hiring behavior where every single year you have total retread crappy coaches who get 3rd and 4th chances despite sucking, or completely in over their head guys who became HC's because their last name was Kiffin or a guy skips 3 steps, 3 jobs, and goes from QB coach or ST coach to head coach. (or on the GM side a guy goes from being a pastor / "culture" coach to running a franchise)

2. On the flip side, it rubs people the wrong way when any minority coach interviews because of the Rooney Rule or whatever other rule.

3. It's pretty silly if something like 80% of the players are black but the only black NFL head coaches are Tomlin and Cullen down in Houston (2/32). Again, pretty plain and obvious that the Good Ole Boys hiring behavior is real and I am not sure what to do about this one. Probably a sign of the rest of society as well. I don't even know who else there is if one extends this to any minority, is Ron Rivera still coaching? Anyways it's a real small list.

4. Even on the Pats, Flores paid his dues for like 15 years, never actually had the DC title, while a bunch of other guys kept getting moved up. No surprise his HC opportunity was with a black GM. I don't know how to solve this macro situation. End of the day, some people keep hiring based on comfort, "fit", and basically other euphemisms for what they're most familiar with.

Also, the offensive coordinator for kc keeps getting past over for head coaching vacancies.

Also, the offensive coordinator for kc keeps getting past over for head coaching vacancies.
I’m not sure I would call it “passed over”. He has 3 years experience as an OC and it’s reasonable to question how much of the success is him vs Reid/mahomes and all the weapons.
He’s been a candidate but it’s not like he was clearly the best choice and didn’t get jobs. I don’t know the answer but how many hires had 3 or less years in a coordinator role, in the last couple of years when he would be a candidate? I wouldn’t imagine a lot.

Last edited:
I'll be damned, Didn't know that.

If Mayo is hired as HC NEP get a 3rd this year and next.
I hope the Broncos hire him. He'll be back to the pats in time to give input on that 3rd rounder next year.

Man your post just made me picture Dan Devine, coaching on high from his Tower

and I 1000% percent disagree that the HC isnt there to develop a QB... Its his job to make sure it is done, and done correctly... and if he has to get his hands dirty doing so, so be it... Part of the "Leader of Men" vibe you got going on in your post...
And why can a defensive coach not develop a QB? Lots of successful HCs came from the defensive side of the ball and more than a few of them had to develop a young QB. Bill's done it a few times in fact, especially if you count partial successes like Matt Cassell and Brian Hoyer who developed beyond their initial very low ceiling estimates.

This idea that it takes a former OC to develop a QB is nonsense.

Very bizarre Mayo is getting any consideration.
No it isn't. Besides the Bill Belichick factor, Mayo has clearly looked competent in his role and shown a lot of vocal leadership. It's a bit early, but not really "bizarre."

Very bizarre Mayo is getting any consideration.
I thought the same thing about Flores, but obviously, they hired him and he more than exceeded my expectations. His impact here was felt right away, we saw the difference that season and obviously he connects with the players and gets the best out of them. The defense here was terrific that year.

When he was first hired, I thought it was a little too early and it wouldn't work out, but he took a lousy roster and made them competitive in their first year despite their record, and obviously followed that up with 10-6 and 9-8 during a season where they started 1-7 and had the fiasco with the Watson rumors and Tua's injury, and turned it around and won 7 straight and 8 of their last 9.

Honestly, I definitely feel like Miami blew it, and I'm glad. Getting him out of the Division is absolutely a win. Getting him out of the conference, if he's hired in Chicago, would be even better.

And why can a defensive coach not develop a QB? Lots of successful HCs came from the defensive side of the ball and more than a few of them had to develop a young QB. Bill's done it a few times in fact, especially if you count partial successes like Matt Cassell and Brian Hoyer who developed beyond their initial very low ceiling estimates.

This idea that it takes a former OC to develop a QB is nonsense.
It may absolutely be nonsense. Then it might not. If it were easy every team would have a franchise QB.

The donks just came off a 3 year stretch of having a really good dc as hc. They floundered in the QB position. Time for a new tact?

i look at what mcvay was able to accomplish with goff... I understand that there are many failures as well, that one just stood out for me in terms of what the donks should be looking for.

so it doesn't mean I'm right, doesn't mean I'm wrong. Its just an opinion. If I knew all the answers, I wouldn't be posting on a message board, I'd be working on a sideline.

so if it's nonsense to you, meh, I won't lose any sleep over it.

I thought the same thing about Flores, but obviously, they hired him and he more than exceeded my expectations. His impact here was felt right away, we saw the difference that season and obviously he connects with the players and gets the best out of them. The defense here was terrific that year.

When he was first hired, I thought it was a little too early and it wouldn't work out, but he took a lousy roster and made them competitive in their first year despite their record, and obviously followed that up with 10-6 and 9-8 during a season where they started 1-7 and had the fiasco with the Watson rumors and Tua's injury, and turned it around and won 7 straight and 8 of their last 9.

Honestly, I definitely feel like Miami blew it, and I'm glad. Getting him out of the Division is absolutely a win. Getting him out of the conference, if he's hired in Chicago, would be even better.
Tom Curran had some good points about why he feels Mayo will do well as a HC for one simple reason....he knows how to read people and deal with people as they need to be dealt with. Curran (who knows Mayo very well) said he can be tough. He can use finesse. He can be charming. He can sell. He knows how to gain consensus. Keep in mind he spent time at Optum as an EiR which means he dealt with business people and office politics every now and then.

As much as like Flo, it seemed his approach with people was very unilateral in nature. However, I do think Ross did him a disservice. With a man like Ross who has been incredibly successful in business, it is a bit of a shame he didn't (I assume he didn't) mentor Flo on the ways to get things done without being draconian. Any good manager will recognize promising talent and try to coach that person to the next level. Flo is a very good, young coach who won some games for him and showed promise. Why not invest more to improve the employee? Why not take the time to coach him on how to work with Grier? Maybe he tried and Flo told him to F off? That certainly would have been a CLM.

Seems like a lost opportunity to me for both Flo and Ross.

It may absolutely be nonsense. Then it might not. If it were easy every team would have a franchise QB.

The donks just came off a 3 year stretch of having a really good dc as hc. They floundered in the QB position. Time for a new tact?
Not necessarily. What that tells me is that the GM isn't drafting well. The coach can only cook with the ingredients he has.

put it this way: which of the QBs the Broncos put under center since Manning retired, was the head coach supposed to turn into the next Elway? Osweiler? Semien? The corpse of Joe Flacco?

Drew Lock showed SOME promise but the rest was a bag of concentrated refuse and Lock didn't have enough around him to carry the team. Lock himself is more of a really good QB2.

Coaches have to work with what the GM gives them. In my estimation a lot of what's going wrong in Colorado begins from the very top.

If the Broncos hire Mayo, there is no compensation. It is weird that Mayo gets more play as a head coach than McDaniels or Steve Belichick. Probably less about the Xs and Os, but Mayo is more a natural leader from what I have heard about him.
Then again there's the rule that you need to interview black coaches before any hirings. It would not be shocking if teams are just interviewing Mayo to comply as a formality. Still, it gets his name out there and paves the way so he gets more legitimate consideration down the road.

Tom Curran had some good points about why he feels Mayo will do well as a HC for one simple reason....he knows how to read people and deal with people as they need to be dealt with. Curran (who knows Mayo very well) said he can be tough. He can use finesse. He can be charming. He can sell. He knows how to gain consensus. Keep in mind he spent time at Optum as an EiR which means he dealt with business people and office politics every now and then.

As much as like Flo, it seemed his approach with people was very unilateral in nature. However, I do think Ross did him a disservice. With a man like Ross who has been incredibly successful in business, it is a bit of a shame he didn't (I assume he didn't) mentor Flo on the ways to get things done without being draconian. Any good manager will recognize promising talent and try to coach that person to the next level. Flo is a very good, young coach who won some games for him and showed promise. Why not invest more to improve the employee? Why not take the time to coach him on how to work with Grier? Maybe he tried and Flo told him to F off? That certainly would have been a CLM.

Seems like a lost opportunity to me for both Flo and Ross.
I agree with the thoughts on Mayo. You can be great with Xs and Os but if you can't get guys to buy in and want to play for you, it doesn't matter. Mayo's got the personality to be successful and I'd be willing to bet that like Flores, he would be if he also surrounded himself with the right people.

On Flores, I think I read something that the issue was he wanted more decisions to go through him instead of just being brought into the loop, which is apparently where the problem was. I forget the link so I'll have to dig it out, but I think that's what caused the conflict and led to him being let go.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down
Back