PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brian Waters turned down "significant" pay raise

Status
Not open for further replies.
re: Brian Waters turned down "significant" pay raise

Some people simply have pride

If a team finds itself desperate and finally comes up with enough money which might have satisfied him 2 months ago, it's just another way of trying to kiss his ass because Cannon,McDonald and Thomas suck and are raw prospects as we all can clearly see.

If this is true,I don't blame him for saying no......they had thier chance to make an offer that was impossible to refuse when summer was still here.

Like I said,Waters seems prideful and stubborn and wants time with his family

Let him go peacefully.....

Last edited:

My uneducated take on this is that the saga continues because both the Patriots and Waters are open to his joining the team at a later date, like the second half of the season, or just for the postseason run, should that happen.

I think Waters wants a ring, but has "enough" money and is tired of the NFL grind, so if the Pats "need" him to slog through the full season, they'd better pony up.

Consider that Pony up and f***ing shiny as a muth*****a! ... and Waters still isn't back. You read the thread title, right?

Last edited:

Slipped right out without addressing the Belichick being cheap comment, didn't you?
At least I can admit I was wrong in this instance, that is if the tweet is true.

Tom Curran reported several weeks ago that the Pats offered Waters a substantial pay raise at some point in the process. I think SMY's info may be a bit old. The money thrown at Waters may have been just before the start of the season.

If this isn't about money and about being with his wife and kids, I respect Waters for that. If it is about trying to rake the Pats over the coals and get even more money, screw him.

Either way, it has been long since the time to move on.

If a team finds itself desperate and finally comes up with enough money which might have satisfied him 2 months ago, it's just another way of trying to kiss his ass because Cannon,McDonald and Thomas suck and are raw prospects as we all can clearly see.

If this is true,I don't blame him for saying no......they had thier chance to make an offer that was impossible to refuse when summer was still here.

How much did they offer him 2 months ago? Sounds like you must know.

Maybe Waters wasn't coming back unless the Patriots offered STUPID amounts of money, and even then maybe not. Unless you know what they actually offered him, what are you basing your statement on?

Last edited:

Except according to Tom Curran reported on September 7th that the Pats made the pitch to him more than likely closer to two months ago than recently:

My take is that the team's been exceptionally accommodating to a player who has shown no inclination to return and has cold feet about leaving home. I also heard rumblings that, at some point in the offseason, Waters was offered much more to return than the $1.4M but he didn't budge.

Much undue ado about Brian Waters

That leaves way too much unanswered for us to make a fair appraisal. "Last ditch effort", for example, could very easily be seen as "too little, too late". "Significant" is another word/phrase that's often looked at as much more "significant" to one party than the other. The "significant" offer made by the NHL to the NHL players is a pretty good example of that.

I just knew you would find some way to spin this in your warped thought process. :rolleyes2:

Seems like old info. Regardless, Waters need to retire if he intends not to fulfill his contractual duties, IMO.

At least I can admit I was wrong in this instance, that is if the tweet is true.

Personally Atip,I don't think you were wrong at all.

I think Belichick thought he could get away with scrubs on the right side for way less...now that he saw that Brady is in danger of getting his bell rung week in a week out, he reluctantly stretches out and ups the ante and sees that he cant count on Sebastian and Dan as much as he thought he could earlier.

That does not mean Belichick is suddenly generous......he is getting desperate and knows the right side will eventually put Brady in a bad position for as long as Connolly and Vollmer battle injury issues.

Except according to Tom Curran reported on September 7th that the Pats made the pitch to him more than likely closer to two months ago than recently:

Much undue ado about Brian Waters

It all depends of how much Waters wanted....if he wanted
4M for a 36 year old OL then that may be too much,but if he was happy with 2.5 or 3M then it seems worth it.

No one knows.....I just give my opinion,I don't think the sides were close until now...and it's too late apparently.

I think Belichick thought he could get away with scrubs on the right side for way less...now that he saw that Brady is in danger of getting his bell rung week in a week out, he reluctantly stretches out and ups the ante and sees that he cant count on Sebastian and Dan as much as he thought he could earlier.

That does not mean Belichick is suddenly generous......he is getting desperate and knows the right side will eventually put Brady in a bad position for as long as Connolly and Vollmer battle injury issues.

Your opinion goes against the reported information. Again, reports are that the Pats offered Waters a substantial pay raise before the start of the season. Not recently.

The fact of the matter is Belichick has never been afraid of giving big salaries to seasoned veterans who would command much less elsewhere. In recent years alone, he overpaid for Shaun Ellis, Chad Ochocinco, and Branch his first year back.

Fiction can be fun! I guess you missed the part that the offer was made well before the season started?

(oops- didn't see Rob0729's post before I posted mine.)

Last edited:

I just knew you would find some way to spin this in your warped thought process. :rolleyes2:

There's nothing warped about it, but great job by you to turn a simple post noting that we need more information into an excuse for your personal attack.
thumb.gif

Edit: You might notice, if you read posts following this one, that others, both on the half-empty and half-full side, are saying the same thing I did.

Last edited:

Tom Curran reported several weeks ago that the Pats offered Waters a substantial pay raise at some point in the process. I think SMY's info may be a bit old.
Yeah, this isn't the first time this has been reported, but the first time it's been so straight-forward. I think Curran's "rumblings" were about as definitive as it got before this.

Last edited:

How much did they offer him 2 months ago? Sounds like you must know.

Maybe Waters wasn't coming back unless the Patriots offered STUPID amounts of money, and even then maybe not. Unless you know what they actually offered him, what are you basing your statement on?

No media,no fan knows EXACTLY whether Waters wanted,maybe crazy money like 4M or whether he was happy with 2.5 or maybe 3

I think he was worth up to 3 but I bet the offer was closer to that now.....it's too late anyway :(

It all depends of how much Waters wanted....if he wanted
4M for a 36 year old OL then that may be too much,but if he was happy with 2.5 or 3M then it seems worth it.

No one knows.....I just give my opinion,I don't think the sides were close until now...and it's too late apparently.

First, you assume that Waters would come back for any reasonable amount of money. He may just wanted to stay at home with his family.

Second, you assume they were ever close. For all we know, the Pats could have been kept on making offers without Waters ever wanting to come to bargaining table.

Third, you assume that the Pats' offered insulting offers until now. And now Waters won't return on principle.

That is a lot of assumptions without any evidence to support it.

Once again posters here ignore the significant possibility I've mentioned that Waters simply does not wish to play or does not wish to play here. Period. That scenario fits well with allegedly turning down more money. Hello!

Somethings still missing with this situation. If it was all about his family, etc, he would have retired.

Question to those who follow the NFL/NFLPA contract: Isn't there an out for him to return before week 7-ish and have a right to get his salary minus fines? I remember something like that from the Branch situation before the trade. It might have changed, but regardless it seems like Waters has some plan that isn't retirement.

Yeah, this isn't the first time this has been reported, but the first time it's been so straight-forward. I think Curran's "rumblings" were about as definitive as it got before this.

But SMY seem to be independent verification of Curran's source unless they both heard it from the same people.

Also, Bedard heard that the Pats might have offered a raise too, but didn't feel comfortable to run with it back a few weeks ago because he wasn't sure/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes