PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Idle thoughts - ...and so the grind begins

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chris - it has been scientifically proven that the people who sustained the least injuries in car crashes are sleeping. In general, the more relaxed your body is in a collision, the less damage it will sustain.
This has been a staple of some martial arts. Anyone who's ever done stunt work knows this as well. The worst thing you can do in that situation is tense muscles.

Don't wanna get too far off track of Ken's excellent thread(as usual), but this extends to sports, especially collision sports like boxing and football.
I only played football thru Junior high, but I boxed a little. That's what " roll with the punches" refers to. All boxers get hit, but most great ones never seem to take the full impact of the blow. To do that you actually have to relax your body. It's kinda the same thing they do in Ju jitsu and aikido.
But it's actually very common in football, happens on every play.
Take Emmit Smith, 5'8" 215, a great between the tackles runner who never seemed to absorb the full punishment from tacklers. He knew how to " roll with the punches". When a receiver goes up high for a catch,knowing he's about to get bodyslammed, watch how he makes his body go limp. It minimizes injury. It's basic physics.

Chris - it has been scientifically proven that the people who sustained the least injuries in car crashes are sleeping. In general, the more relaxed your body is in a collision, the less damage it will sustain.
This has been a staple of some martial arts. Anyone who's ever done stunt work knows this as well. The worst thing you can do in that situation is tense muscles.
Of course, it's been scientifically proven that if you're sleeping while driving, you will get into a car crash.

Sorry this is OT but since the thread is titled “Idle Thoughts” I thought I’d leave some idle thoughts here. I was listening to a podcast today and it amazes me how much the league changes year to year. They were talking about how poor the Texans OL was, Watson was getting hit every other play, even though Pats are not known for their pass rush, unlike the Jaguars. So “the Texans made the Patriots look like the Jaguars”. If this was said at the beginning of last season you would have thought the Pats were beaten into oblivion.

Which reminds me of last season, a couple of games in, the Rams were beating up on some team, which was a shocker. Someone on this forum said, so-and-so was making Jared Goff look like Alex Smith. Made me laugh so hard. It was the funniest line for a brief period of time. Of course it makes no sense now.

Anyway. As a relatively new fan to the game I’m fascinated by the shifting scenery of the league, all while Brady and the Patriots seem to be the constant that withstands time and tide.

Just watching a replay of the "near" safety the Pats almost had on the "rewatch thread". When the happened, my initial thought was that the Pats got screwed on that call (though if I were a Houston fan I can see why the ref called it as he did). After watching the replay thread, I came away even more convinced it was a safety. It even looked like Watson's knee was down before he got rid of the ball.

What is even more surprising is that I haven't heard anything from ANYONE concerning that play. Nothing from the media except how Houston got screwed on the Gronk play. And nothing from anyone here either. Am I nuts or what?

Go to the "rewatch thread" and check it out (page 4)

BTW- the rewatch thread is must see material. Lots of great stuff by those guys. Also, Bedard has several great rewatch clips which are 3 or 4 minutes long where he breaks down an individual play. Its good stuff even when I disagree with his analysis.

You can really see why that 31 yd run happened. The 3 main culprits imho, were Hightower, Brown, and Davis. Davis got blown out, but in his defense he WAS double teamed and he is light in the pants to begin with. Brown, at first, made a GREAT play to get that wide, but he missed the tackle. He actually did a good job wrapping, but the RB simply ran out of his grasp (it happens) The major culprit, imo, was Hightower. I think he had that gap responsibility (Bedard didn't think so). When you watch the replay Hightower was flowing to that gap and if he had he would have been there to clean up Br0wn's attempt and it would have been a 2 or 3 yd gain. Instead, for some reason only known to High, he looks like he thought the RB was going to cut back into the A gap and fills a hole that it looks like the rookie had covered. And if you want to continue the blame game Harmon missed a tackle that would have limited the damage to about 10yds. alas.

I think when all those bad running plays are broken down, I'm guessing it will be the LB's who will be responsible for most of the damage. But I'm just speculating here

You can really see why that 31 yd run happened. The 3 main culprits imho, were Hightower, Brown, and Davis. Davis got blown out, but in his defense he WAS double teamed and he is light in the pants to begin with. Brown, at first, made a GREAT play to get that wide, but he missed the tackle. He actually did a good job wrapping, but the RB simply ran out of his grasp (it happens) The major culprit, imo, was Hightower. I think he had that gap responsibility (Bedard didn't think so). When you watch the replay Hightower was flowing to that gap and if he had he would have been there to clean up Br0wn's attempt and it would have been a 2 or 3 yd gain. Instead, for some reason only known to High, he looks like he thought the RB was going to cut back into the A gap and fills a hole that it looks like the rookie had covered. And if you want to continue the blame game Harmon missed a tackle that would have limited the damage to about 10yds. alas.
Harmon missing a tackle should not come as a surprise to anyone...and there is no way that Brown should have allowed the runner to escape his grasp.

Harmon missing a tackle should not come as a surprise to anyone...and there is no way that Brown should have allowed the runner to escape his grasp.

Harmon is one of the surest tacklers on the team. Seriously. Your negative nancy spiel is old. Stow it already..

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News