PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Idle thoughts - ...and so the grind begins

Status
Not open for further replies.

patfanken

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
First a confession: I belong to a football pool where we pick 5 games against the spread. Well after a lot of thought I reminded myself that we ARE playing for money, so I DIDN'T play this game. You know it will be hard to bet the Pats in September just because we don't know what this team really is until the leaves start to turn. Clearly the pre-season told us nothing. Houston has a roster full of impact players on both sides of the ball, and the Pats just have Gronk, Brady, and 51 other guys named Joe. (hyperbole) At least that's what the national view is. So I passed on the Pats game and instead picked the Steelers vs Cleveland :eek: and NO vs TB :eek: :eek: :eek: I did pick the Jags/Giants correctly and I'm looking OK with my KC pick and have the Lions tomorrow in order to salvage the week. But enough about me. Lets break down this game.

1. General Overview- We might NOT have had the better roster, but for this game at least, we had the better TEAM. Without the 3 turnovers, this game wouldn't have been NEARLY this close. Clearly the biggest and most satisfying surprise was how well the DL played in both putting pressure on Watson as well as containing him. They had 12 QB hits to go along with the 3 sacks, and Watson had do make some great plays to elude the rush to pick up 40 yds on 8 trips across the LOS. Bottom line there was a lot more to be happy about, than to complain about.

2. QB - There was a time when completing 66% of your passes was an exceptional day. In Tom Brady-land, it's just OK. Clearly he was unhappy about the offense in his post-game comments. I won't disagree. I thought he threw too many passes off his back foot in this game. He made a few questionable throws and a couple that were just inaccurate. In other words, it can and likely WILL get better. Let us not forget that the Texans do have an outSTANDING DL with Watt, Mercellous, Clowney, as well as Joseph and Matthieu in the secondary. So throwing 66% and 277 yds with 3 TD passes against these guys IS an accomplishment. The pick was unfortunate, but tipped balls happen and in this case a first down was turned into a TO by the length of a finger.

3, RB - I love how hard Burkhead runs. But if gets 18 runs/game he's not going to make it past midseason. It is really too bad that J Hills season is likely over. Not only did he run very effectively, his loss is going to stretch the RB room very thin. James White took a step back IMHO in the running game, while he was his same effective self in the passing end. Soney Michel's return can't happen too soon.

4. TE- How can a team allow Gronk to catch 123 yds in the passing game, when he is CLEARLY the only major threat. Now I don't fault Romeo in his scheme. Gronk was doubled on almost every play. However I do fault the execution of that double-team, as Romo consistently and correctly pointed out. The results speak for themselves. No team should ever let Gronk beat them, though it might be harder than they think to make that happen.

All praise to Gronk, however I still have a problem with Josh for not making teams pay for that double team with zero throws to our OTHER TE.

5. Receivers - Raise your hand if you thought Phillip Dorsett would have 7 catches and a TD this game. No one?? ;). Well for at least this week, the daily harangue to add more WR's will abate...a bit. Dorsett not only made some good catches, he ran the ball well after them and got open more than any other WR. Good for him.

Hogan had a very quiet game, hopefully he'll get more opportunities next week. The rest of the passes were taken care of by the RB's including JDevlin who had 4, which was remarkable since he had just SIX all last season.

Patterson flashed on that one catch and the 2 reverses. I would have liked to see him targeted more. For example, I wish HE was the WR running that deep route instead of McCarron

6. OL - It was MUCH better than I feared, given who they were playing. Brady was sacked just twice and hit maybe 4 or 5 times during the course of the game, especially when you think one sack happened because no one blocked the guy closest to the QB :eek: But overall they pretty much shut out Mercellous and Clowney, and kept Watt under control for most of the game (except for about 4 plays all game,

Trent Brown didn't make every block, but he came pretty damned close. I don't know if he's an improvement on Solder, but he's not a step back either, and I'm sure Dante will make him even better as the season goes on. Speed rushers will like be an issue from time to time, but they were for Solder and Light as well, and when it became an issue it was dealt with schematically, so I see no reason to worry about the LT position.

Shaq Mason had a hand in both the sacks, but before I would get totally pissed at him, those were just 2 plays out of 68. You'd have to look at the totality of the game, as well as looking at the quality of the competition

Cannon an Waddle seemed to split the snaps and did fairly well, though on the 2 plays where Watt stood out, Waddle was the guy he beat.

Finally what a find David Andrews has turned out to be. He seems to get better with every passing year (though he has to share the blame for the Reader sack) Again one play out of 68.

Overall I thought it was a decent start for the OL. I thought the pass protection was outstanding, and the run blocking was OK but needs to get better. There were never a lot of great holes for the RB's.

7. Front 7 - First the good news. Like I said earlier, the Pats pass rush was both effective and disciplined. 3 sacks and TWELVE QB hits is good against any NFL QB, but exceptional against a guy like DWatson, who is elusive as it gets. The bad news was the 132 rushing yds they gave up to the Texans RB's. I'm not sure if this was a matter of poor schemes or just poor play. This SHOULD be an important discussion when the all 22 comes out. But watching that 3rd quarter TD drive was very disturbing at the time. Another thing they we need to see is who was in the different situational defenses over the course of the game.

Kudos to Larry Guy who I thought had a very strong game. Flowers and Wise might have gotten credit for the 3 sacks, but Guy, Shelton ,and Brown did a lot of the dirty work up the middle to make those happen. I would love to see how the pressures/hits stats break down.

Adrian Claybourn didn't make the NFL.com stat sheet, but I'm sure he had several pressures. I was impressed with the depth of his rushes and how disciplined he was in maintaining his leverage and not running past the QB. From what I saw he has a non-stop motor.

So in the end lets see how things improve or not going forward. Ideally we can continue to bring controlled pressure, while improving on the run stats.

As for the LB's I thought it was a mixed bag. Bentley flashed, though I'm sure he had his share of errors. He was (for the most part) just hair late in his pass coverage, but that should get better. This WAS his first look at real game speed this year. He wasn't horrible, and I thought it telling that on a couple of plays they put him outside on a WR :eek: Fortunately they never threw his way. I wonder why?

Van Noy made a couple of impact plays including that great tackle on the reverse as well as a couple of other plays. But if there was one disappointment for me it was Dante Hightower. I'm not saying he played badly, but he IS the 2nd highest paid defensive player and except for being the one who fell on the fumble (one of several Pats how were in the vicinity) he was invisible to me (credited with 2 assisted T's). I expect more from him. But its early yet. I h.ope it isn't a trend.

8. Secondary. Compared to last season, Stephon Gilmore started out very strongly, imho. Hopkins is one of the best WR's in the league, and Gilmore certainly kept him under control. Sure he had his catches, but only one was deep (17yds), and all the rest were closely contested. Good to see him moving players around before the snap as opposed to being the one who needed to be moved. I liked the Gilmore I saw today.

The last time these 2 teams met, the Pats gave up over 300 yds passing. Today that number was 176, Granted Watson was playing HIS first game after an ACL and wasn't sharp; this was a marked improvement. Very few of the Texan receivers were running wide open through the secondary. For the most part they made the Texans earn every reception they had.

Bottom line - Hopefully this is not the best this secondary will be, but it's a good starting point heading into week 2.

9. Special teams - This has historically been one of the best units in the league. Well punt coverage and the kicking games were a good as we are accustomed to expect. BUT the KO coverage was as bad as I can ever remember seeing. I don't know why, but the NEVER held Houston inside the 25 and the way they were going, I was starting to be thrilled to see them stopped inside the 35. :eek:. It looked like a couple of them were one step away from going a lot further. Let us hope this will improve GREATLY going forward.

10. The refs - I think we got one on the Gronk catch, though I'm sure there are some that think it was good and I guess there COULD be a case made for it....but. ;) There were only 12 accepted penalties and for the most part the refs let them play and the game flowed well. No onerous PI's, or helmet penalties. I'd give these guys an A- though it is also a credit to both coaching staffs that the game was played as cleanly as it was, especially when you compare it some of the other games where there were 25-30 flags.

11. The announcers - Romo is even better this year. His job is to make the audience smarter about the game and he does it over and over, and is mostly right. I don't even mind the rare times he's wrong. If he going to be exceptional he can't be afraid to make a mistake. And if there is one thing that Romo doesn't seen to be is afraid.

Nance on the other hand should shut up and remember he's there to be the play by play guy. He's good at that, except he tends to stray into trying to analyze too. When he does that, it isn't good. Stay in your lane, Jim!!!!

12. Next week - Brady is going to face the challenge of facing even a TOUGHER defense and do it on the road when the Pats travel to Jacksonville. Before this game, I would have told I'd be fine with the Pats being 2-2 going into October. After watching this game, I have to say my expectations have been raised.

Any road game is very difficult, but the Pats may have caught a break if Fornette is out this week. Unfortunately Fornette doesn't play defense, so I expect anything over 20 points to be an excellent outcome for an offense that after that game will STILL be a work in progress.

OK that should be enough to start a discussion. As always feel free to comment, add insights or disagree. I'm happy I managed to end up 2-2 on my picks with the Lions game left to see if I can get to 3-2. :D

Last edited:
I agree with a lot of your Post. The fumbles will come back to haunt them if they don’t clean it up, which I am sure they will as always.

By the way, did anyone notice that one hit Brady took from Watt. The way he protected himself as he went down. He has mastered that over the years.

Great synopsis, thanks. Was so happy to see Allen punting late in the game. Ecstatic with the results of his punt. Thought we would see a difference in the defense with BB having some tape on Watson and more time to strategize.

Great synopsis, thanks. Was so happy to see Allen punting late in the game. Ecstatic with the results of his punt. Thought we would see a difference in the defense with BB having some tape on Watson and more time to strategize.
It WILL be interesting to see if, after an offseason to plan, NFL defenses will start to catch up with the RPO offense that seemed to thrive last season. Historically they start to catch up the year after some offensive scheme jolts the league's defenses, and by the 2nd year OC's are forced to start to look for the "next big thing".

Of course I believe the best way to end the RPO offense is simple. Just make sure you hit the QB every play they use that run/pass mesh. Rules protect the passer, they DON'T protect the runner. So if they are going to use that offense make them pay. It's what they do in HS, at least that's what I did when we had an opponent who ran an option offense. We made sure we hit the QB EVERY time they ran a mesh.

I agree about having the qb pay. Seems like the best way to defend the RPO.
Pats looked generally good. Tommy is so right about the offense not being their best. Clean up a few bad play calls ( White up the gut on first down in the red zone leading to a field goal instead of a knockout td) and sloppy play here and there, and this offense can be very scary to defend.

I agree with a lot of your Post. The fumbles will come back to haunt them if they don’t clean it up, which I am sure they will as always.

By the way, did anyone notice that one hit Brady took from Watt. The way he protected himself as he went down. He has mastered that over the years.

Of all of the stories I’ve heard over the years, the one I think IMHO defines him best was his practicing how to fall by making his body become limp when he is hit. Injuries are always a throw of the dice, but when someone has avoided injury as long as Brady has it simply isn’t an accident, he has somehow mastered it. It is one of the most amazing things about him considering the pounding he has taken in recent years.

As for the LB's I thought it was a mixed bag. Bentley flashed, though I'm sure he had his share of errors. He was (for the most part) just hair late in his pass coverage, but that should get better. This WAS his first look at real game speed this year. He wasn't horrible, and I thought it telling that on a couple of plays they put him outside on a WR :eek: Fortunately they never threw his way. I wonder why?
Great stuff Ken, as always.

About Bentley, on some plays he was man-covering Miller, so when he went wide, he followed.

I was paying close attention to him the whole game and i am so excited. He was INCREDIBLE. I did see some mistakes as he didn't cover every route, the TD was in his zone for example and he did get blocked rather easily on some big gains by the end of the game.

But even at his lowest, he never felt out of place. It was an inch mistake. And he was ON TOP of many plays, with great awereness and instincts. He is FAST for such a thic boi too.

I really like him. And he was out there A LOT. The staff clearly believes in him. Could be a major steal

Of all of the stories I’ve heard over the years, the one I think IMHO defines him best was his practicing how to fall by making his body become limp when he is hit. Injuries are always a throw of the dice, but when someone has avoided injury as long as Brady has it simply isn’t an accident, he has somehow mastered it. It is one of the most amazing things about him considering the pounding he has taken in recent years.

AKA "Pliability"......

Great post as usual PFK, you do about as good as anyone in the area for a Pats post game synopsis.. including the well paid scribes...

Some of yesterdays errors seemed due to communication on the O line and D line, both have been retooled to some extent.. but the sometimes erratic play of the O & D line showed and this week Dante and Daly will clean some of this up..

The Pats did not abandon the run, and stuck with it throughout the game... the TOP for the Pats was 31.10 and TOP for Texans was 28.50, which is not that significant a difference, but nonetheless for a heavy run team Houston did not control this stat.

Will McCarron still be on this team for the Jax game?? That fumble could have been a backbreaker as the momentum seemed to have swung ...

More impressed with the Defense and for all those folks who have said in the past couple of weeks how ineffective Malcolm Brown is watch the game again.. he was quite involved.

Overall for all of the sportstalk and media created controversy over this team and all the brouhaha associated with it, thought the Pats played pretty well against a very good team..

Last edited:
It WILL be interesting to see if, after an offseason to plan, NFL defenses will start to catch up with the RPO offense that seemed to thrive last season. Historically they start to catch up the year after some offensive scheme jolts the league's defenses, and by the 2nd year OC's are forced to start to look for the "next big thing".

Of course I believe the best way to end the RPO offense is simple. Just make sure you hit the QB every play they use that run/pass mesh. Rules protect the passer, they DON'T protect the runner. So if they are going to use that offense make them pay. It's what they do in HS, at least that's what I did when we had an opponent who ran an option offense. We made sure we hit the QB EVERY time they ran a mesh.

Welcome back, Ken.

Based on what we saw, I think we've already caught up with the RPO. Thanks to Bielema's coaching.

Volin did something right. He put up the snap numbers on defense and there were some surprising results....at least to me.

1. Bentley actually played one more snap than Hightower (51) That show's a level of trust, especially for a rookie.

2. D Wise had 1.5 sacks, 3 QB hits, and 3 tackles on just 23 snaps. :eek:

3. K Davis has SIGNIFICANTLY more snaps (35) than Wise,(23) Guy (29) Claybourn (22) What's up with that? btw - stats wise all he had to show for all those snaps was one QB hit and zero tackles. It kind of makes me wonder about how much of the run yardage was directed at him in the 2nd half

4. This was a big LB day since all 3 starters were on the field for over 2 thirds of the defensive snaps. Plus E Roberts got 20 snaps as well. Again it will be interesting to break down the schemes the Pats ran on Wednesday.

5. Devon McCourty played the least of all the starting DB's. He missed 2 of the 74 defensive snaps. :rolleyes: Over the last few years the durability and AVAILABILITY of our DB's has been a very unsung asset. Especially DMcCourty and Chung who also get a bunch of special teams reps every game.

Great write up Ken....first thing I look for every morning after a game... you don’t disappoint...

PFK already in midseason form….nice work.

My initial reactions: the game played out exactly as I expected.
Brady, despite the least impressive WR corps in the NFL…..makes it work. Gronk helps rebalance the scale.
The elevated depth on D is glaring. Their physical play at the LOS was impressive…..sending Texans off to the infirmary at an accelerated rate. Very nice
I feel the opposite on the O side. Across the board…. OL, WR, QB, and now RB….depth is a major problem that will be difficult to manage from the FA wire. I will be crossing my fingers every Sunday.

Watson was disappointing but not unexpected. Tentative, rusty, inaccurate. I hope he is not the next RG III post injury.

How does a guy who catches punts for a living, positioned perfectly to catch a routine punt, virtually no pressure on him…….choose to bank the ball off his face mask first. Shrinkage

Regarding Tony Romo……..Oh PFK…..you and I are so different.
For me, Romo is an "out loud thinker".
Every thought that enters his brain exits through his mouth.
First half, he does great…….stays on script
Second half, he gets coc ky...begins to freestyle. Starts predicting plays pre snap, etc. Sure he guesses right occasionally…..but STFU.

Jimmy Perfect G is not so perfect after yesterday. Losing Goodwin so early had to be deflating. SF's WR corps is as equally impressive as NE's

Oh Buffalo…what are you doing up there

Miami looked unspectacularly solid in the trenches

JESTs tonight.

Hope the impending hurricane in the SE doesn't cause issues for Sunday

Last edited:
Great stuff as always Ken!

As for the kick coverage, I think there were two things at play here:

1) There was a lot of turnover amongst the top guys from last year. Slater and Ebner are staples, but no more Bolden, Richards, or Bademosi. It may take some time to find the right combination of guys to fill the roles.

2) The kick return rules, and thus how you defend them, have changed. This might be a feeling out process for a lot of teams until the nuances can be sorted out.

I have faith in the coaching staff to figure both points out in time though.

2. QB - There was a time when completing 66% of your passes was an exceptional day. In Tom Brady-land, it's just OK. Clearly he was unhappy about the offense in his post-game comments. I won't disagree. I thought he threw too many passes off his back foot in this game. He made a few questionable throws and a couple that were just inaccurate. In other words, it can and likely WILL get better. Let us not forget that the Texans do have an outSTANDING DL with Watt, Mercellous, Clowney, as well as Joseph and Matthieu in the secondary. So throwing 66% and 277 yds with 3 TD passes against these guys IS an accomplishment. The pick was unfortunate, but tipped balls happen and in this case a first down was turned into a TO by the length of a finger.

It was a very good game by Brady. The only throw that really stands out to me as a horrible one by him was the forced one into double coverage to Hogan. You can get away with that kind of decision to Gronk because of his size and freak athleticism. Not to Hogan, though.

3, RB - I love how hard Burkhead runs. But if gets 18 runs/game he's not going to make it past midseason. It is really too bad that J Hills season is likely over. Not only did he run very effectively, his loss is going to stretch the RB room very thin. James White took a step back IMHO in the running game, while he was his same effective self in the passing end. Soney Michel's return can't happen too soon.

White has never been an effective runner between the tackles.

5. Receivers - Raise your hand if you thought Phillip Dorsett would have 7 catches and a TD this game. No one?? ;). Well for at least this week, the daily harangue to add more WR's will abate...a bit. Dorsett not only made some good catches, he ran the ball well after them and got open more than any other WR. Good for him.

Pleasantly surprised. If he continues to play like that, I'll be more than happy to eat my words on him.

Hogan had a very quiet game, hopefully he'll get more opportunities next week. The rest of the passes were taken care of by the RB's including JDevlin who had 4, which was remarkable since he had just SIX all last season.

Called this. He's drawing the other team's #1 corner now on top of getting doubled from time to time. He'll have a quiet game next week, too, as I expect Ramsey to draw him some of the time and Bouye to draw him most of the time (with Ramsey covering Gronk).

Cannon an Waddle seemed to split the snaps and did fairly well, though on the 2 plays where Watt stood out, Waddle was the guy he beat.

They had Watt on Waddle immediately when he was out there. Pretty clear they deemed Waddle to be the weak link.

7. Front 7 - First the good news. Like I said earlier, the Pats pass rush was both effective and disciplined. 3 sacks and TWELVE QB hits is good against any NFL QB, but exceptional against a guy like DWatson, who is elusive as it gets. The bad news was the 132 rushing yds they gave up to the Texans RB's. I'm not sure if this was a matter of poor schemes or just poor play. This SHOULD be an important discussion when the all 22 comes out. But watching that 3rd quarter TD drive was very disturbing at the time. Another thing they we need to see is who was in the different situational defenses over the course of the game.

I wasn't really able to particularly watch Shelton. How did he look?

Van Noy made a couple of impact plays including that great tackle on the reverse as well as a couple of other plays. But if there was one disappointment for me it was Dante Hightower. I'm not saying he played badly, but he IS the 2nd highest paid defensive player and except for being the one who fell on the fumble (one of several Pats how were in the vicinity) he was invisible to me (credited with 2 assisted T's). I expect more from him. But its early yet. I h.ope it isn't a trend.

Hightower looked like someone coming back from a season-ending injury a year ago. Might just be more rust than anything else.

Nance on the other hand should shut up and remember he's there to be the play by play guy. He's good at that, except he tends to stray into trying to analyze too. When he does that, it isn't good. Stay in your lane, Jim!!!!

I actually think Nantz is the best guy they can put in there with Romo. He actually does stay quiet most of the time and just lets Romo do his thing. Other guys would probably try to talk over Romo or cut him off.

12. Next week - Brady is going to face the challenge of facing even a TOUGHER defense and do it on the road when the Pats travel to Jacksonville. Before this game, I would have told I'd be fine with the Pats being 2-2 going into October. After watching this game, I have to say my expectations have been raised.

The Jags are going to make life much tougher for the Pats on defense than the Texans did yesterday. They'll choke off everything underneath and someone else besides Gronk and Hogan is going to have to step up. Hogan will definitely get taken out of the game, unfortunately. Gronk, on the other hand, is a freak and will find a way to get his catches. This will probably be a big game for both Burkhead and White (and Michel, if he finally plays). Barkley ripped off over 100 yards against that defense and the Giants exposed them a bit in the flats.

Any road game is very difficult, but the Pats may have caught a break if Fornette is out this week. Unfortunately Fornette doesn't play defense, so I expect anything over 20 points to be an excellent outcome for an offense that after that game will STILL be a work in progress.

Fournette being out would be huge. Looked like another hamstring injury for him.

I didn't get to watch Jags vs. Giants yesterday, but whatever the Giants did to seem to hang with them is interesting. No reason why we couldn't repeat that gameplan. Even from a running game perspective, I still like the combo of Burkhead and White and maybe even Develin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back