PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brian Waters turned down "significant" pay raise

Status
Not open for further replies.
re: Brian Waters turned down "significant" pay raise

5 kids. Most of them are either in middle school or high school. Would you move all the way from Texas to Boston right when school starts and then either keep them till June or move them after Jan?

Silly and disruptive to move them.

Seemingly Waters feels it's worth millions to refuse a 5 month deployment. That's his free choice to make.

I'd SELL my children for 4 million dollars and the opportunity to be a Patriot!!

You are not a 14 year veteran with five kids who was born and raised in Texas.

You are not a 14 year veteran with five kids who was born and raised in Texas.

All right. Point understood. How about if I toss in the wife too? ;)

I am very weary of this Waters nonsense. He told KC that he was going to retire, after along and highly paid career. They sent him to New England and he put up with one more year, to pad the retirement nest egg, with a chance for the SB. Now he has retired like he said he was going to do more than two years ago.

He made his pile of money. What is the big deal? And why all the Conspiracy Theories?

Last edited:

I am very weary of this Waters nonsense. He told KC that he was going to retire, after along and highly paid career. They sent him to New England and he put up with one more year, to pad the retirement nest egg, with a chance for the SB. Now he has retired like he said he was going to do more than two years ago.

He made his pile of money. What is the big deal? And why all the Conspiracy Theories?

Where do you get this stuff...

He was cut by the Chiefs on the eve of training camp in 2011. He handled it with dignity and stated it was by mutual agreement although he intended to play again in 2011. He was miserable playing for Haley (like a lot of intelligent players were) and Pioli mistook that for he was done was the problem. Another scapegoat for incompetence. He was wr...wr...wrong. He's been wrong a lot in KC.

All right. Point understood. How about if I toss in the wife too? ;)

Actually, the wife is a reason for him to leave his familly for 4 months and play football in New England. :D

Could we please let this thread fall to page 2? It's depressing. The fact BB bent over backwards for the guy indicates he felt Waters was needed this year, which is depressing. He's clearly not coming back, so that's depressing. And when I see the thread bumped yet again for no real reason and I stupidly click on it, it's depressing. So please, let's let it go.

Actually, the wife is a reason for him to leave his familly for 4 months and play football in New England. :D

If I was Waters, I'd ask for:
4 months at the Renaissance at Patriots Place...club level....with unlimited spanktrovision
Charter to Texas after every game with return on Wednesday
Personal trainer to attend to bumps/bruises in Texas
Might as well throw in charter for family to attend games as well

Former Herald sportswriter Michael Gee's take on it:

Michael Gee said:
Shalise Manza Young of the Globe has reported that the Patriots offered Waters $4 million to end, well, you can't call it a holdout exactly, more like going off the football grid, during training camp. This report has been denigrated by talk show hosts who used to be reporters and therefore ought to be ashamed of themselves (talk about oxymorons!) because they used to be reporters on the grounds the Patriots leaked the story to make themselves look good.

Earth to talk radio. If the story was a lie, then Waters' agent would have been on every media outlet this side of Chinese wire service Xinhua denouncing it as such. This naivete is sad but unsurprising. Michael Felger and sidekick Tony Massarotti, my old colleagues who I probably still like but no longer respect, are proof of Damon Runyon's adage that "nobody's easier to bull**** than a bull**** artist."

Let me suggest an alternative scenario for Water's Howard Hughes impersonation. The logic part of his brain has come to the conclusion he should retire from football. The emotional part (the much bigger part, as it is for us all) is torn. Football is addictive. Why not let the Patriots, renowned as the most unsentimental of franchises in these matters, put the offer on the table to adjudicate the decision?

Waters got an offer that was flattering by any assessment. And he didn't take it. The logical conclusion is there was no offer he'd have taken. He's done. He just wanted an outside assessment of how much he had left.

homegame: Athletes Are Human -- Just Barely, But It Counts

That's fine. But if you are going to accept Shalise (and Bedard) as gospel, you also have to accept that the offer was made at the 11th hour, during camp, after they thought they had successfully verbally renegotiated his deal to $900K plus $500K or more in incentives back in the spring. And they had also agreed he would not be around in the off season or attend most or all of camp in 2012 back in 2011 when they signed him. Granted they didn't know then he would have a pro bowl season and Mankins would be cleaning up a season long ACL and Vollmer's back would remain at issue... Just think if there was any hope of his coming back for season two, given his impact in season one, they would have skipped the first restructure if not gone directly to the final offer.

That's fine. But if you are going to accept Shalise (and Bedard) as gospel, you also have to accept that the offer was made at the 11th hour, during camp, after they thought they had successfully verbally renegotiated his deal to $900K plus $500K or more in incentives back in the spring. And they had also agreed he would not be around in the off season or attend most or all of camp in 2012 back in 2011 when they signed him. Granted they didn't know then he would have a pro bowl season and Mankins would be cleaning up a season long ACL and Vollmer's back would remain at issue... Just think if there was any hope of his coming back for season two, given his impact in season one, they would have skipped the first restructure if not gone directly to the final offer.

Who really cares when they did it? The simple fact that they were willing to overpay for him shows that they likely always valued him and were likely to pay him his entire contract barring injuries or him hitting the age wall hard. They had no intention of screwing with him. They valued him when they offered the first revised contract and valued him even more as the season approached.

Last edited:

I've been saying such but this position doesn't fit the Pats are cheap or Waters is a greedy contract breaker paradigm that folks love to expound about incessantly

I have said from the beginning that it is very likely no bad guys in this. The Pats made a good faith effort to accommodate him and he just is torn between playing and his family.

I have said from the beginning that it is very likely no bad guys in this. The Pats made a good faith effort to accommodate him and he just is torn between playing and his family.

agreed.

I do think Waters was hoping the pats would just cut him, but the pats aren't obliged to do so

Michael Gee either doesn't know if the offer was truly flattering, or he didn't bother to give all the details when he should have. Either way, his piece isn't really helpful and his logic isn't particularly sound.

Last edited:

agreed.

I do think Waters was hoping the pats would just cut him, but the pats aren't obliged to do so

Yah, he (EDIT) possibly figured they'd make an emotional, reactionary move leaving him with easier family decisions. Hasn't known the Croatian Warlord long enough. Pats do do some dumb things q.v. BB's dismissal of Herr Kommisar's filming memo, but that's atypical.

Last edited:

Who really cares when they did it? The simple fact that they were willing to overpay for him shows that they likely always valued him and were likely to pay him his entire contract barring injuries or him hitting the age wall hard. They had no intention of screwing with him. They valued him when they offered the first revised contract and valued him even more as the season approached.

I don't know, maybe Waters? It's human nature to bristle if you feel disrespected and NFL players tend to measure disrespect in $$$. And in this case they may have been ****ing around with a 35 year old player already teetering on the edge seeing as he'd proved his point (to the braintrust in KC) with a 6th pro bowl 2011 performance in NE in his 13th season in the league after starting out as as UDFA, he's already banked a lot of money and perhaps not squandered most of it, and his family situation remains more important to him than football. If I really want/need that player to report one more time, the last thing I do is approach him about a restructure that doesn't anything other than up the ante.

Michael Gee either doesn't know if the offer was truly flattering, or he didn't bother to give all the details when he should have. Either way, his piece isn't really helpful and his logic isn't particularly sound.

Everybody and his mediot brother is too busy defending, attacking, back slapping or finger pointing at each other and the player to actually, you know, get to the bottom of the story. And patsfans typically want to just move on and assume the player is the root of the problem because if he isn't here that must be the case. That too is human nature (or in the media's case the nature of the beast in the multimedia age).

Everybody and his mediot brother is too busy defending, attacking, back slapping or finger pointing at each other and the player to actually, you know, get to the bottom of the story. And patsfans typically want to just move on and assume the player is the root of the problem because if he isn't here that must be the case. That too is human nature (or in the media's case the nature of the beast in the multimedia age).

I hear you. I think it's a mistake to assume either side is at fault, save for breaking down hypotheticals (IF this, then that).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back