PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brian Hoyer reunion? [UPDATE: Hoyer signs 3 year contract]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very glad we were able to sign him. I was worried that another QB needy team was going out-bid us.

Pretty sure we reached out to his agent to feel him out before we asked for his outright release and then pulled the trigger on the trade. This FO leaves no stone unturned, unlike in Cleveland where folks go home at 5pm.

Speaking of no stones unturned. I bet you that in the next draft we'll be picking a QB from Southwest Bum**** University and everyone will be up in arms and howling again, just like when we picked some dude out of Eastern Illinois University.

Why the $1.5 guaranteed in 2019?

Why the $1.5 guaranteed in 2019?
This $1.5M is basically a delayed bonus that is payable in 2019. If the team wants him in camp, it will cost them $200K. If they want him for the 2019 season, Hoyer is owed $1.35M more.

Belichick isn't retiring until he breaks Coughlin's record as the oldest coach to win a Super Bowl. Which, of course, could be this season.

That's a pretty specific record, what makes you think that's at the top of his list?

Hoyer also gets $6.95 million guaranteed from the 49ers from earlier this offseason

Hoyer has $2.90 million guaranteed in 2018 from the 49'ers ... not bad.

$9.85 million 49'er cash.

:)

Do you really believe that there were no discussions with Hoyer before the trade was made?
Excuse me, sir, but what are you suggesting? The eyes may have done some talking, but that is it.

Hoyer also gets $6.95 million guaranteed from the 49ers from earlier this offseason

Hoyer has $2.90 million guaranteed in 2018 from the 49'ers ... not bad.

$9.85 million 49'er cash.

The mystique of being Tom Brady's backup has really served our alums well.

• Agree
Reactions: ALP

Seems ridiculously cheap, particularly if as IcyPatriot says SF agreed to pay him $6.9M just last offseason.

This $1.5M is basically a delayed bonus that is payable in 2019. If the team wants him in camp, it will cost them $200K. If they want him for the 2019 season, Hoyer is owed $1.35M more.

"2019: $2.85M base ($1.5M guaranteed) & a $200k roster bonus. "

Ummmh, if it's "guaranteed" for 2019, doesn't that mean he gets the $1.5M in 2019 from the Pats regardless of who he plays for or whether or not he is even still playing?

Delayed bonus sounds like the right description, but is then a sunk cost and not exactly as you describe: The cost to keep him in 2019 is then $1.35M (200 camp /1.15 season).(since the 1.5 is paid regardless)

Official welcome back to Hoyer!
With JG gone I was happy to see the inevitably needed backup journeyman QB be Hoyer. And now that I see the contract numbers I'm even happier. Hoyer gets the NFL equivalent of peanuts from the Patriots for 2017 and 2018 but Hoyer still makes good money thanks to the 49ers. Then in 2019 the Patriots get the choice to keep Hoyer if needed (and pay him rather well for a journeyman backup). Overall this unwritten part of the JG trade, a trade that left a gaping hole at the backup QB position, is a definite plus.

Bio on Hoyer:
32 years old. His experience should be a plus for helping next year's QB draft pick. Hoyer has familiarity and is likely to buy 110% into BB's program. And (as another poster astutely pointed out) his experience will make for a solid scout team QB this year.

Hoyer has been given a couple of outright starting role opportunities but injury and under performance derailed long term starter status (it didn't help Hoyer's chances that these teams were overall shaky).
2014 with Cleveland, he looked good for 2/3 of the season -- Yes! Cleveland the team was looking pretty good only 3 years ago with Hoyer at QB! -- but starting around Thanksgiving the rest of the season derailed. Hoyer was off the team at the end of the season (and Cleveland continued to derail to the mess it is now).
In 2015, Hoyer's best statistical year, was with the Texans:
9 games started, 370 attempts, 61% completion rate, 7.1 yards per attempt, 19 TDs, 7 Ints. (his figurative end in Houston came due to a brutal! beating given to him by the Patriots -- the Patriots should have thrown in a 'beating repayment bonus' with this new contract).
2016 he had a string of 4 or 5 good statistical performances for Chicago -- a team that absolutely stunk on defense -- but was out for the season in game 6 against GB.

Outlook:
If the frighteningly unthinkable happens and we need Hoyer to fill in for a span of games, if Hoyer of first 2/3 of 2014, first half of 2015, first 5 games of 2016 shows up, we can definitely keep winning if the D plays satisfactory. Given Hoyer played fairly well for tangible spans of 3 different seasons on 3 different teams, and these teams were demonstrably crappier than the Patriots, having cautious hope for his success isn't unwarranted. There's even a chance him playing on a good team/organization may see him thrive. No, it won't be as pretty with Hoyer but if GOAT is out then pretty is already off the table -- we just need decent QB performances that provide chances to win games. IMHO Hoyer's chances of giving decent enough performances are quite good.

every woman in my rather large family hates this trade. THIS is what Goodell has wrought. He crossed E.T. and Good Morning America with NFL football..... krist...reminds me of a Jim Carroll line
you see, you just don't know...I'm here to give you my heart and you want some fashion show...

every woman in my rather large family hates this trade. THIS is what Goodell has wrought. He crossed E.T. and Good Morning America with NFL football..... krist...reminds me of a Jim Carroll line
you see, you just don't know...I'm here to give you my heart and you want some fashion show...

That reminded me of this:

Yes. I follow the draft very carefully. I produce my own big board each year. I review and grade 500+ prospects.I correctly listed about half of the UDFAs we brought into camp this year as likely Patriots targets. I don't always get it right, but it's one of my favorite hobbies.

Who knows what will happen. There's a lot of football left to be played.
Interesting. You should start a blog. You've been around and posted enough on the Board that I doubt anyone would mind your putting a link in your tagline. Who knows where it will lead? Miguel made a name for himself over the Cap. Maybe start by focusing on the Draft and the needs of the Pats and the other teams in the AFCE. There's so much crap on SI and that other site I don't visit.

Very glad we were able to sign him. I was worried that another QB needy team was going out-bid us.
When you consider that the Pats' starting point was they weren't going to have to pay Jimmy G. $20 million or so to tag him, it probably would have been hard to out-bid the Pats for Hoyer...within reason of course.

Bastard disrespects the Great Flutie and grabs uni #2..............:mad:

He better be able to drop kick!

Heard he wanted #10 but turns out the Pats are retiring it to honor the greatest 6 quarters ever played

??? Please list the QB's on the Practice Squad that have started in the NFL.

what difference does that make??

if Brady goes down, it does not matter who the Pats have at QB.......they're going nowhere

like I said......Hoyer gets us nothing

what difference does that make??

if Brady goes down, it does not matter who the Pats have at QB.......they're going nowhere

like I said......Hoyer gets us nothing

I must respect your position. You didn't want to sign any backup, since every game is lost if Brady is injured. Apparently, one of the other players could hand off until Brady is back.
============
Fans across the land take different positions. Some think that every game is important. Some long for a winning season. Some long for a division win or to get into the playoffs. Some want a playoff win. Some would be ecstatic with a conference championship.

And then, there are some fans in New England that literally don't care unless they win the Super Bowl. If a substitute QB were to play, bringing us into the playoffs, with a shot at the conference, that isn't even worth watching.

Even with that perspective, we SHOULD realize that Brady could be out for part of a game, or even for 2-3 games, coming back for the last game or for the playoffs. In this case, we'd still have a good chance at the Super Bowl. THEREFORE, even for these folks, a backup is critically important. Heck, the backup might even win a game or two.
===========
For me, I've followed this team before Belichick and Brady (only since 1980; others here for much longer). There is more for me than Super Bowl wins. We have had fine teams at times since the beginning (yes several teams capable of playing in the Super Bowl). As I learned long ago, and certainly from Bill and Bill, every game is important and worth watching. Getting into the playoffs is great, but the goal is the division. A conference win is awesome. And yes, sometimes we are great and lucky enough to win the Super Bowl.

IMHO, we have been extremely spoiled since Kraft bought the team, and especially since Belichick and Brady arrived. This dynasty is arguably the best ever, with the best coach, best coaching staff and best quarterback. Given that we are in the salary cap era, it seems very clear that we are the best ever.

For me, it seems misguided to suggest that all is lost if Brady is injured, even for a game or two. If we are that great, then Belichick will find a way to win games. Patricia has the defense improving, almost game to game. Josh will surely find ways to score 20-25 points with Hoyer, at least some of the time. And that, as we have seen can be enough to win. Even with Hoyer, we are a playoff team.

AN ASIDE
After 4 game, we had the worst defense defense in the league. For the next 4 games, we had that defense (hopefully improving week to week) and an offense that could score more than 25 in any game. And yes, and yet, we won all four. Perhaps, just perhaps, Josh is good enough to coach the offense up enough to score 20-25 points a game with Hoyer, and have an excellent chance of winning.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
Back